Newbie NANO Questions

wuhWohh

Hi all, glad to be a new member of the forums! 🙂
I recently purchased a WiFi Pineapple Nano, and I've learned how to navigate it and use it a little better since. Unfortunately due to my lack of terminology and the proper understanding of the pineapple I've had some confusion and questions I'd appreciate if somebody would be able to help a newbie out with.
I apologize if something like this has already been posted and I haven't yet seen it, or if I posted this in an incorrect area- as I said I'm brand new to the forums.

First question/issue relates to the Deauth button, as to if I'm using it wrong and whatnot. I have my iPhone 8 on my personal home network, and I ran a recon scan with the Nano. I saw my Home network SSID, and I tried to run a deauth request to my network. I'm not fully sure as to how this works yet, but from what I know its supposed to deauth devices from the network. I noticed that after about 5 minutes my laptop with the nano connected to it gets deauthed, but my phone on the network never did. I know for a fact I ran the deauth on the entire network, not just a specific device. I've tried several multipliers, none of which deauthed my phone. Am I doing something wrong or not understanding something?

Last question orients around the SSID pool and the beacon/broadcast options. I know that broadcasting the SSID pool sends out separate open AP's from previously captures SSID's. I believe beaconing a response checks for devices trying to connect to a specific SSID, then a spoofed AP with the same SSID from the pineapple says "that's me!", and the device connects to the pineapple. Do I need to have both beaconing responses and broadcasting SSID options checked? Or am I able to simply beacon responses *without* broadcasting the SSIDs?

Sorry for the rather long and probably innacurate post, I hope my interpretations weren't too far off. 🙂

I should have also said Im able to deauth my network with the Deauth module (every device including phone), however I don't believe that it has specific client targetting so I'm a little less keen to use it.

6 hours ago, wuhWohh said:

Am I doing something wrong or not understanding something?

Maybe your phone was connected via 5Ghz and the laptop was 2.4ghz?

6 hours ago, wuhWohh said:

Do I need to have both beaconing responses and broadcasting SSID options checked? Or am I able to simply beacon responses *without* broadcasting the SSIDs?

You can use only beacon response on its own just fine. Or broadcasting SSID pool on its own. Both combined just gives more chance for a connection.

15 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Maybe your phone was connected via 5Ghz and the laptop was 2.4ghz?

You can use only beacon response on its own just fine. Or broadcasting SSID pool on its own. Both combined just gives more chance for a connection.

No sir, both were connected to the same 2.4GHz network. I tested this with other devices as well, and it appears that my phone isn't the only thing that can't be deauthed. I had another Windows 10 PC connected, and that wasn't able to be deauthed either.

Any ideas? Again, it works perfectly with the actual Deauth module, but not the deauth button.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:26 AM, wuhWohh said:

No sir, both were connected to the same 2.4GHz network. I tested this with other devices as well, and it appears that my phone isn't the only thing that can't be deauthed. I had another Windows 10 PC connected, and that wasn't able to be deauthed either.

Any ideas? Again, it works perfectly with the actual Deauth module, but not the deauth button.

"To effectively prevent a deauthentication attack, both client and access point must support the 802.11w standard with protected management frames (PMF).
While most client devices seem to support it when the access point forces it, basically no WiFi access point has it enabled." from spacehuhn eps8266 deauther author.

hope this help you

Archived