ParrotSec V.S Kali Linux

R3DRUM

I'm just looking to get a good thread going. Time for the ultimate question!!

Which do you think is better, Kali or Parrot?

I used Kali myself when I first started out. But I found it to be RAM hungry and kind of clunky. But when I found ParrotSec I was instantly in love. I love the wider selection of tools and the beautiful GUI.

Having TOR and encryption tools built in doesn't hurt either 🙂

You guys comment what you think!!!

I have used both and think Kali is the way to go.  I did not like the parrot interface vs what kali is.  Parrot seems to be a knockoff of kali so that kali isnt the monopoly of this field.  all in all kali is the way to go as it is easier to use unless your a parrot die hard fan in which all power to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Kali isn't best as Parrot and Parrot isn't best as Kali, twice have good functionalities and the most important thing, theirs works!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SyStaP7 (%att?.) said:

What about blackarch... its GUI looks pretty cool tbh... i got a CD of it at some con thing but only booted it live, wouldnt use it day to day!

I have one 2. Its pretty rad yup. 

4 minutes ago, barry99705 said:

That will cure you from ever using a computer again!

we all know microsoft is obviously the most popular with the public... i heard of this cool now thing called ms-dos, im installing it now. its supposed to be powerful and innovative! 

8 hours ago, SyStaP7 (%att?.) said:

lol wth is that profile pic... i looked and nearly spat coffee everywhere lol... scared the sh1t out of me

looks like a butthole whit worms crawling out of it

Good country remedy

I have tried both Kali and Parrot and they're both fine at what they're meant to do. However, I feel like Kali is an elegant and refined set of carefully curated tools, whereas Parrot is like a someone just threw everything, including the kitchen sink, into a box because they could, without taking the time to test, thoroughly debug, and check whether or not the tools were redundant or even necessary. And I found the interface of Parrot to be a complete eyesore.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 12:09 AM, b0N3z said:

I have used both and think Kali is the way to go.  I did not like the parrot interface vs what kali is.  Parrot seems to be a knockoff of kali so that kali isnt the monopoly of this field.  all in all kali is the way to go as it is easier to use unless your a parrot die hard fan in which all power to you.

I agree.........Kali is easier on the layout and there is a massive community that will always point out how stupid I am😆

Parrot, well, it is still way behind in many respects and I agree again with your views on the monopoly land grab🧐

On 7/7/2019 at 9:10 PM, Foxtrot said:

install pentoo

Interesting........cannot believe that this is still available. Heard a rumour that they were closing in 2016, so pleased to see they are very much alive and kicking.

I have a spare windows laptop, so will have to go for it. 

Cheers as usual for sharing.😎

On 7/8/2019 at 8:10 AM, Foxtrot said:

install pentoo

Having completed my Gentoo phase about 15 years ago (even going as far as performing a phase 1 install)....I think I'll pass 😂

I'm more inclined to stick with Kali from a support / maturity point of view. 

However, Parrot is looking a lot better these days, check out this Nullbyte video from a few months ago:

• 5 weeks later...

ive got a laptop with each. for strictly pentesting kali is the way to go. if you want a more complete os for like the one guy aid they threw the kitchen sink in. it ha sway more non pentesting tools so if u only have one laptop id say parrot. it copyied all kali tools and put in  programming and office stuff. since im not a secretary and still have a long way to go programming . i mainly use kali. plus in  my opinion they got the best guy working with them now actually re4son' is the only kernel i think ive ever used hes been helping me patch my razor 2 phone for nethunter  then i need to update my gpd pocket kernel that he made i watched for almost a year people complain not being able to get  alfa AC1200  and awus1900  drivers working his kernel had them the whole time. the parrot guys  break almost every other update. and what do u want as wallpaper a parrot or a dragon? ( i put the dragon on parrot anyway.  and for a pi kali the clear winner. all just my humble opinion if there is one in there. i ramble on about nothing alot

• 1 month later...

A year or so ago I ran ParrotSec as a daily driver because it had security tools and secure enough for a regular OS.  I even ran it on my PIs.  They major changes started happening rendering my Pis useless for days until me or someone else figured out what update was pushed that broke it or changes do not work.

Then my laptop began having issues with much of the tools until I figured out it was Firejail that was added on a version I updated to.  I got around this but then more things kept getting added that would break my installation from time to time where I could not run it as a reliable daily anymore or a pentester.  So I went with a dual boot with whatever linux distro I run for daily/Kali linux.  Both partitions encrypted with different keys so they do not intersect.

So, if you can work around Parrot's breaking changes then maybe Parrot might be good but I would backup often.  I decided with a regular linux distro, running some security tools that are not extensive from docker containers if I do not feel like switching OSes and I have the ability to boot to Kali bare metal if I need to for the heavier tools.

• 1 month later...

Any one played around with

blackwin OS ?

Archived