Lan Turtle is not working really good (no internet, no 3G)

C1sc0

So hi there,

as there is barely any good documentation on this product I hope to find someone to help getting me started with this disease of a product.

I have a lan turtle 3G with a sim card installed. I plug it into my usb port and into a ethernet cable.

First thing which is odd: My arch linux does not recognize the lan turtle. There will be no additional ETH device shown. So if I boot up a kali VM and hook it up to there sometimes it will appear in that VM and sometimes which is even more odd it will appear at my arch host, although it is plugged to the VM.

So, after managing to get a shell on the device it will pull a IP from DHCP server on ETH Plug it has. I now have a setup with USB-eth (the one which spans a dhcp server and network to communicate to the attacker box) which I can get a shell with and a DHCP IP address in the network I plugged into the turtle.

Next thing which is odd is, that the lan turtle cannot get any connection to the internet. So I am neither able to update it nor am I able to install modules.

After setting up 3G accordingly it does not in any chance boot up a wwan interface. I have no idea why or how to debug, as there is no documentation on this, too.

So can please someone enlighten me and tell me how this "product" is supposed to work? And please don't tell me to read the docs, as there aren't any.

This site is worth nothing: https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/categories/360000979313-LAN-Turtle

And yes to answer your questions first:

- I have factory reset the thing

- I did all the configurations as you can read in the link above

- No I am not a dumbfuck, but a sophisticated pentest consultant with a overall experience of over 5 years in terms of pentesting and linux

Thanks in advance and best regards,
C1sc0

5 hours ago, C1sc0 said:

Next thing which is odd is, that the lan turtle cannot get any connection to the internet. So I am neither able to update it nor am I able to install modules.

The default gateway of the lanturtle is set to the 3g connection. If the 3g configuration is not correct or looses signal  there will be no connection. It sounds like this is where you are at the moment. You can either fix whatever APN issue is hanging it up or enable LAN fallover should 3g fail - its in the 3g settings somewhere - I forget the exact wording but its pretty clear. That would then enable you to get the lanturtle online for update/modules.

In regard to the APN/3g connection I would need to know your carrier and country plus your current settings to be able to look further.

Thanks for the information.

I am based in Germany and my Carrier is T-Mobile. I tried the following settings:

APN: internet.telekom
Username: t-mobile
Password: tm
Pin: My Personal sim pin
PPPD_options: empty
DNS: 8.8.8.8
Fallback time: 120
WAN Fallback: (now) enabled

I will try the failover settings and see if it will work then.

Just now, C1sc0 said:

I am based in Germany and my Carrier is T-Mobile. I tried the following settings:

I think (but have not confirmed personally) that there is an issue with the APN SIM PIN on the turtle. If you are able to put sim into a phone and disable the sim pin and then try that in the turtle without a pin in the APN settings it might work for you as is. if it does not I will try to find other possible APN issues after I have eaten - about 20mins ish.

Archived