[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.5.x

Foxtrot

Hi everyone,

We just released firmware version 2.5.x for the WiFi Pineapple, vastly improving the PineAP engine. Expect greater results on your next wireless engagement with this release.

Changelog 2.5.4:

• Recon
    • Fixed an issue where scan times would be invalid in non-Chromium web browsers.

Changelog 2.5.3:

• Clients
    • Fixed an issue where SSIDs would not populate.
  • Filters
    • Add detailed Filters information.
  • Setup
    • Choosing the Filter modes is now required upon Setup.
  • Recon
    • Fixed an issue where, in some cases, probes would not be shown in the Recon dialog.
    • Fixed an issue where some probes were not logged during a Recon scan.
    • Fixed an issue where, in some cases, handshakes would not be captured.
    • Fixed an issue where captured handshakes could not be downloaded if the capture had stopped.
    • Fixed an issue where, in some cases, captured handshakes would have invalid frame lengths.
    • Previous scan dates are now translated to the browsers local time.
    • Fixed a rare issue where Live Scan results would not populate in the Web UI.
  • PineAP
    • Fixed an issue where downloading captured handshakes would not work.

Changelog 2.5.2:

• Recon
    • Fixed an issue where invalid results with BSSID 00:00:00:00:00:00 would be collected.
    • Fixed an issue where changing the band to scan would not update until PineAP was restarted.
    • Fixed a firewall issue preventing Live recon results to populate in the Web UI.

Changelog 2.5.1:

• Misc
    • Fix an issue where "Unsupported Device" would incorrectly show.

Changelog 2.5.0:

• Hak5 Cloud C2
    • Client Update
  • PineAP
    • Rewrite of PineAP, featuring a multitude of improvements and reliability fixes.
  • Recon
    • Improved reliability of scanning.
    • Add throbber for deauth button.
    • Automatically start scan after enabling PineAP.
    • Remove misleading information message when the user started their first scan.
    • Fixed a rare issue where multiple live Recon processes would start.
  • Misc
    • Reduce amount of Web UI HTTP requests.
    • Fix missing paths on the WiFi Pineapple NANO.

Download: Over the air via your WiFi Pineapples webinterface, or at https://downloads.hak5.org.

- The Hak5 Development Team

• Foxtrot changed the title to [RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.5.x
  • Foxtrot unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished an 8 hour recon scan to a /sd/ db and was flawless. Seems rock solid so far. 

EDIT - actually seems like PineAP dropped out and recon thought it was still running. I Need to try a few more times.

EDIT EDIT - it got worse, more frequent and impossible to use. Factory reset didnt clear it, Firmware recovery did. All good again, have no idea of the cause.

5 minutes ago, Jason_Meredith said:

Just did this update, now RECON no workie... anyone else have this issue?

More information is required to diagnose an issue. Please generate a debug log via the Help menu and attach it to a reply in this post.

Thanks

Heyo;

Just giving the new update a try today. To be fair I haven't played much since 2.4.2 so bear with me. 

I saw that "log probes" was changed to "log PineAP events" 

I was following along with DK's new video on WiFi Hacking Workflow and had zero issues until he clicked the button to see logged Probes of a particular client.

I've run multiple recon scans without issue (with log PineAP events checked) and for whatever reason when I click that button to see the probes I see "No Probes found. Is probe logging enabled" 

Well, I thought it was! lol Maybe I'm missing something? 

If no one has any other suggestions i'll start with firmware recovery of course. But just wanted to check with ya'll before I did something unnecesscary 

5 hours ago, UnLo said:

Heyo;

Just giving the new update a try today. To be fair I haven't played much since 2.4.2 so bear with me. 

I saw that "log probes" was changed to "log PineAP events" 

I was following along with DK's new video on WiFi Hacking Workflow and had zero issues until he clicked the button to see logged Probes of a particular client.

I've run multiple recon scans without issue (with log PineAP events checked) and for whatever reason when I click that button to see the probes I see "No Probes found. Is probe logging enabled" 

Well, I thought it was! lol Maybe I'm missing something? 

If no one has any other suggestions i'll start with firmware recovery of course. But just wanted to check with ya'll before I did something unnecesscary 

Multiple people are having same issue! I have posted about this on Discord, Darren's YouTube video, here and haven't heard back so GL.

Hi,

To give a short update, we've been looking into the reports of some people not being able to see Probes. Some of the issues we've seen have been related to an incorrect configuration of the PineAP Filters, whilst others have highlighted some issues that we have corrected and are finishing up before releasing an update.

To recap: The default out-of-the-box configuration for Filters is to Allow No MAC Address to connect and to ignore associations, probe requests and other data. Users should configure their Filters by either white listing device MAC Addresses or by changing the filters to Deny, and blacklisting anything that you do not want to target.

Thanks to everyone for their detailed feedback and help :)

Hi all - 

First off I want to thank everyone for providing feedback on this release. @Foxtrot will be following up shortly with an update that addresses an issue for those not being able to see probes. We've also come to understand that our filtering documentation has not been as explicit as it could - so we've made an update to that module and the required configuration at time of initial setup. 

The WiFi Pineapple filtering system limits the scope of engagement by filtering devices by MAC address and network by names in an Allow Mode of targeted devices or network names and a Deny Mode of off-limit devices or network names.

Client filters specify which devices, by MAC address, are either explicitly allowed to connect or explicitly denied from connecting. In Allow Mode only the listed MAC addresses are allowed to connect. In Deny Mode, the listed MAC addresses will be prevented from connecting.

SSID filters specify the network names to which the WiFi Pineapple will respond. In Allow Mode, devices will only be allowed to associate with the WiFi Pineapple for SSID names listed. In Deny Mode, devices will be prevented from associating with the WiFi Pineapple for the listed SSID names.

In the event that both filters are set to deny mode, you will be warned that all devices will be allowed to associate with the WiFi Pineapple for all requested SSID names.

I hope this clears up any confusion and once again we appreciate all of the feedback and support.

I have also the problem that the time zone over the control field is not set correctly. 

Regarding the probe request, I'll see these but only for allready existing AP's and also not for all devices.

My Filters are set to Deny Deny.

12 hours ago, LeonBerg said:

I have also the problem that the time zone over the control field is not set correctly. 

Regarding the probe request, I'll see these but only for allready existing AP's and also not for all devices.

My Filters are set to Deny Deny.

I thought the time wasn't right either. . . Even tho it says i've set it correctly to eastern time zone. when I look at logs from recon it's still on pacific.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, damen said:

@Foxtrot So logging doesn't appear to work until I run a recon scan. Any idea why this might happen? I have both filters set to deny. For PineAP settings all are checked but broadcast. 

It is working, you'll just see more stuff when you run a Recon scan because you'll be channel hopping.

I bought the WiFi pineapple nano tactical, and the book. I read the book and watched dozens of videos on how to configure and operate my device, all to no avail. There were so many things that didn't work as you said it would. You left out so many details when writing the book, I still can't do anything with my Nano. I feel like I wasted $150 and countless hours of my time for absolutely nothing. Reading your forums and blogs confirm this, so many of your customers have asked you so many times to explain how to properly configure and operate the device but you don't respond, or when you do you don't answer their questions in detail. Many people out there are stuck with Nano's that are totally useless. I live in San Francisco and I would like to come to your office and collaborate with you in person so we can finally configure my Nano, and get it up an running properly once and for all..

Archived