Jump to content
Newbier

choosing a linux distro

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Newbier said:

been using Linux Mint Debian Edition as day to day desktop

I don't know why people bother installing anything else 😄

I boot up kali every once in a while and I thought tails was pretty good if you need to hit the dark web etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linux mint 19 running on all my machines. 

 

My asus chromebook boots mint19 gnome shell all in ram for a supper snappy experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 5:26 AM, icarus255 said:

I don't know why people bother installing anything else 😄

I boot up kali every once in a while and I thought tails was pretty good if you need to hit the dark web etc.

 

I have got kali on a machine and re4sons kali on rpi and lint on another, was looking at centos and gentoo maybe later ill switch my daily to one of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first linux distro i tried out was ubuntu very easy to learn. Now i dual boot kali with windows 7 on a desktop , n dual boot kali with windows 10 on a laptop. Been messing around with all sorts of linux distros name em iv booted em up.

Gentoo 

Linux mint

Arch linux

debian 

Slitaz

Tails ( good hacker linux ) after kali would use this .

Black arch 

bugtraq

Red hat

Think i got a copy of backtrack some where

Early kali linux before rolling cant remember its name strarts with a s i think (1.x.x)

N on n on.

 

Edited by Bigbiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you sir are a super linux trouper, I used backtrack 4 and 5 gave tails a spin a couple of times  but now that you mentioning it might have a look at it again, i thought version 1 of kali was  called kali after the end of  backtrack didnt know it was named something else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first got into Linux (in the late 90s) I tried Caldera, it was quite difficult to configure hardware and any software have to be compiled and built from source tar.gz.....I've tried Redhat, Debian, Ubuntu...many many more..

Oh i've also tried FreeBSD and even gave Haiku a go once.

Now I use Mint Linux on my laptop primarily because its the only Linux that gets my NVIDIA card working with Hashcat.... and I use Ubuntu MATE on my GPD Pocket because it is the only one that works without fuss on that laptop!

If it wasn't a hassle i'd have Mint on the GPD Pocket too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, Bigbiz said:

My first linux distro i tried out was ubuntu very easy to learn. Now i dual boot kali with windows 7 on a desktop , n dual boot kali with windows 10 on a laptop. Been messing around with all sorts of linux distros name em iv booted em up.

Gentoo 

Linux mint

Arch linux

debian 

Slitaz

Tails ( good hacker linux ) after kali would use this .

Black arch 

bugtraq

Red hat

Think i got a copy of backtrack some where

Early kali linux before rolling cant remember its name strarts with a s i think (1.x.x)

N on n on.

 

Have you tried Black Arch, Thorn or Parrot? Qubes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yas black arch lots of tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 3:29 AM, Newbier said:

you sir are a super linux trouper, I used backtrack 4 and 5 gave tails a spin a couple of times  but now that you mentioning it might have a look at it again, i thought version 1 of kali was  called kali after the end of  backtrack didnt know it was named something else 

It was Kali.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black arch does have a lot of tools,
No one mentioned Devuan.
I really enjoy it if you keep it all free, I've have no issues with it really. I like being able to use refracta installer to image my system and than re-image it to a live-iso. It's nice to have a portable system with all your favorite programs all pre-installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

what i seen that has more quality....

-kali linux

-debian

-gentoo

-arch linux

-centos

-tails

-qubes

-slackware

-fedora

Edited by interweb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentoo....  Using that is like brushing your teeth with an industrial pressure washer.  Sure it works great at cleaning your teeth, but there are much less painful ways to do it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentoo is basically a meme at this point, I used to build that for the first xbox, when I had more time then sense. 

Still use Debian as my day to day laptop os and FreeBSD on everything else. I at one point used a bunch of different OS, now its just those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stuck with Linux Mint for years because of how easy it is. I started on Ubuntu 10.04.  Over the years I have at least installed and tried for a day or two...

kali, parrot (home,media,pentest), Ubuntu and all its flavors, arch, Fedora, Suse, Tails, the list goes on

At the end of the day I always go back to Linux Mint 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a place in Minneapolis that refurbishes and recyles electronics. They are called "Free Geek Twin Cities". I pruchased one of their faster Xubuntu machines (a Dell Optiplex) for around $120. It is loaded and ready to go and so easy to use. With office Libre installed, microsoft can sniff my undercarriage. Oh and there was the additional cost of a monitor, 10 bucks or so and a mouse and keyboard, about 2or 3 bucks each. Awesome value!!! A truly power up and fly situation - gotta love it!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 5:39 AM, Bigbiz said:

Yas black arch lots of tools. 

Best link to get Black Arch please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...