Change MAC address and interface doesn't up

Hackituria

On 2/6/2019 at 10:15 AM, Just_a_User said:

By not using the same mac address for both wlan0 and wlan0-1.

You could maybe disable management AP (wlan0-1) before configuring wlan0 or by using wlan1. Depends on what else you want to do while running a twin AP.

I tested this and it works correctly. When I disable and hide the Management AP I could change the MAC address of wlan0 not with many problemas, but when I supplanted the victim MAC address, the cautive portal didn't appear.

But this wasn't the most important problem. When I tried to reasign the old MAC address to wlan0 interface, the blue light disappeared and neither Management AP nor Open AP were up.

Why occur this?

44 minutes ago, Hackituria said:

When I disable and hide the Management AP I could change the MAC address of wlan0 not with many problemas, but when I supplanted the victim MAC address, the cautive portal didn't appear.

There should be no difference if you change wlan0 MAC to a random or the MAC of another device - But what captive portal? The pineapples landing page? Evilportal? or something else?

55 minutes ago, Hackituria said:

But this wasn't the most important problem. When I tried to reasign the old MAC address to wlan0 interface, the blue light disappeared and neither Management AP nor Open AP were up.  Why occur this?

Sounds like wlan0 didn't come back up, or is currently wlan0mon. if you use the terminal and run "ifconfig -a" hopefully you see wlan0 or wlan0mon. You can also try going to the network page of the Pineapple UI and click the save network settings to refresh the interfaces back to default state.

18 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

There should be no difference if you change wlan0 MAC to a random or the MAC of another device - But what captive portal? The pineapples landing page? Evilportal? or something else?

Evil Portal

18 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Sounds like wlan0 didn't come back up, or is currently wlan0mon. if you use the terminal and run "ifconfig -a" hopefully you see wlan0 or wlan0mon. You can also try going to the network page of the Pineapple UI and click the save network settings to refresh the interfaces back to default state

It is a problem with duplicated BSSID. I did a factory reset and I analyzed the /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf file and I saw that wlan0-1 interface had 02:13:37:A7:11:7F MAC address and wlan0 00:13:37:A7:11:7F. But after Ichanged wlan0 MAC address and disabled Management AP, I have reasigned the old MAC adrress and I have seen that in the /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf both wlan0 and wlan0-1 have the same MAC address, so I have change wlan0 MAC address to 02:13:37:A7:11:7F and both work well.

But my question is, why it is happening this?

52 minutes ago, Hackituria said:

I did a factory reset and I analyzed the /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf file and I saw that wlan0-1 interface had 02:13:37:A7:11:7F MAC address and wlan0 00:13:37:A7:11:7F

I guess this is the difference between wlan0 being the real AP and wlan0-1 being a virtual AP both running on the same phy0 radio in master mode.

52 minutes ago, Hackituria said:

But after Ichanged wlan0 MAC address and disabled Management AP, I have reasigned the old MAC adrress and I have seen that in the /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf both wlan0 and wlan0-1 have the same MAC address,

This is where I get a little confused about your process. If I do the same - change wlan0 MAC and disable the wlan0-1 my wlan0 is still up and /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf is correct.

So are you placing the original wlan0-1 MAC onto the wlan0 interface? If so then i guess when you try to bring back wlan0-1 back then they would have the same BSSID and fail.

I think the root cause is that virtual AP/interfaces must have unique BSSID's as they are running on the same hardware and possibly use MAC to distinguish between each other. I haven't a great understanding of virtual AP's so may be wrong. Im sure someone will chime in to correct me if wrong.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Just_a_User said:

I guess this is the difference between wlan0 being the real AP and wlan0-1 being a virtual AP both running on the same phy0 radio in master mode.

Yes, I knew it.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Just_a_User said:

I think the root cause is that virtual AP/interfaces must have unique BSSID's as they are running on the same hardware and possibly use MAC to distinguish between each other. I haven't a great understanding of virtual AP's so may be wrong. Im sure someone will chime in to correct me if wrong.

Of course, this is the problem but it's impossible to recover the initial state of wlan0 and wlan0-1 interfaces using the web panel without problems. for this, I had to change the code of Networking module, and with this I achieved to recover this initial state.

Captura.thumb.PNG.8d65a05aa2ac83645101d0afec3c4957.PNG

Archived