what’s our NASty preferrence?

Forkish

11 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

QNAP, because I love it when it randomly decides to scramble all the drives with it's Qnapo-jumbo so I can't use them anymore.

😅

Note to self: Avoid QNAP.

I posted this question as I’m building a PC and need/want to consolidate my external drives. I’m trying to figure out the best NAS/DAS for my needs. I do a lot of photography and was thinking something with ZFS like unraid. I also have an old comercial dell tower with windows 7.  Maybe set that up as a server with ubuntu or Freenas?

52 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Ubuntu Server with disks in RAID, mapped as network drives.

I originally wanted to try something like FreeNAS but the installer was giving me a hard time...

If I want raid, am I limited by my motherboard as to whether it’s supported or not?

https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/nas_selector

This is the best option, in my opinion. You could even turn them into iSCSI targets to get some pretty ridiculous speeds.

Also, you get a lot of other perks (multimedia server, virtual machines, web servers, desktop syncing, spreadsheet syncing and role-based access hubs, as well as most other kinds of servers you can think of). There's a nice web interface for all of that with third-party apps and there are iOS/Android apps (DS Video, DS Audio) which can make use of the multimedia server very well (say goodbye to PLEX). Depending on how much storage you need I'd recommend a DS718+ or DS918+.

One downside I should point out - Mac users love them. Because they're very simple, like Macs. Let's be honest Synology is basically the Apple of NAS and router products.

Edited by Dave-ee Jones
  • Upvote 1

For those with a synology device.

Just saw this on news.ycombinator this morning: https://www.synology.com/en-global/security/advisory/Synology_SA_18_64

> Detail: Reserved

> Abstract: A vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a susceptible version of Synology Diskstation Manager (DSM).

> Publish Time: 2018-12-26

Edited by Forkish