Wireless Assessment

alvinoo

3 hours ago, biob said:

Are you asking... how to locate an Access point by walking around and taking measurements?

If that's what they're asking, I usually look at the *signal level of the ssid to see how close i am to the box.

Edited by _0NiTy

One thing I've had success with in a very crowded environment is running the WiFi card without an antenna so it can only see things really close by.

I've been told that is a bad thing and it will burn out the card and potentially end the world (some people got really upset at me doing it) but I've never had any problems.

5 hours ago, digininja said:

One thing I've had success with in a very crowded environment is running the WiFi card without an antenna so it can only see things really close by.

I've been told that is a bad thing and it will burn out the card and potentially end the world (some people got really upset at me doing it) but I've never had any problems.

They also make ittle 1db & 2db nubby antennas and tweak the two signal stats to keep it close and strong. That way you could walk down a halway and be effective  ~20ft/6m on either side of you.

You could widdle down the extra variables by using directional antennas and keep t level so it just side sweeps.