Almost none of the features work!!!

Mikhailovv

Hello, so i've bought the WiFi Pineapple Nano and tried it out but unfortunately most features do not work :(

I don't know if it does not work because of some hardware error(s) or if im just doing something wrong myself but im pretty sure im doing everything correctly.

The most modules I try simply do not work at all, others only partly.

For example the Deauth module does not deauth anyone/anything, the DWall module captures URL's and Cookies 80% of the time and pictures only about 20% of the times on HTTP traffic, the DNSSpoof module does not work at all, whenever I try to use SSLSplit it gives me an certificate warning on the target device while trying to browse HTTPS sites, it does not capture data and it doesn't even let me load the website (not even an option to ignore the warning) and when i try to fix this by creating a certificate with the Papers module the website does load but i do not capture ANY packets whatsoever on both HTTP and HTTPS.

Also when i connect the WiFi Client Mode in the Networking tab it gives internet to my Management SSID and Open SSID and everything works fine but as soon as I eighter start a Recon Scan or enabel Daemon in PineAP the interface changes from wlan1 to wlan1mon and neighter the management SSID nor the Open SSID have internet connection. Could i fix this by plugging in another wifi adapter into the pineapple so it'll add another interface?

But most importantly, the feature i liked the most about the pineapple does not work.

It should be intercepting probe requests and reacting to them so devices will connect automatically without them even knowing but this does not happen!

I've watched lots and lots of videos and red lots of "tutorials" but nothing works (ive actually been trying to fix this for 4/5 consecutive hours without any succes)

I really hope someone can help me since I spent a lot of money on the pinapple and it would be really disappointing if it does not work...

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

The NANO is certainly not abandoned by us. The modules you mention in the first part of your post are third party, and are created by the community. Please make posts in the respective module threads for help with those modules.

The issue you are experiencing with client mode and Recon/PineAP is happening because the secondary radio on the Pineapple is primarily for monitor mode and injection, not Client Mode. Starting PineAP will use wlan1 for monitor and injection, ending your client mode connection. You should use a third USB radio for a dedicated client connection.

As for the issue you're having with responding to probes - please make sure your filters are both set to "Deny" and that the filter lists are empty.

3 hours ago, biob said:

Foxtrot there clearly is an issue with the latest firmware. When can we expect a fix?

we are getting part answers then you guys disappear into the either 😔

The only change in the latest firmware was a bug fix affecting parts that are unrelated to PineAP. As I have said in other threads regarding PineAP, I haven't been able to reproduce the reports. Debug logs generated via the Help module are helpful finding potential problems you're having.

1 minute ago, Foxtrot said:

The only change in the latest firmware was a bug fix affecting parts that are unrelated to PineAP. As I have said in other threads regarding PineAP, I haven't been able to reproduce the reports.

PineAP seems to die and won’t comeback and that’s on a fresh install. Can’t even be started from the CLI. Yet other modules are working just fine, including stuff like airmon-ng. The forum has been a wash with similar reports as of late🤔

im sick of keep doing recovery mode/reinstall firmware. I’m trying to learn with the pineapple but keep having the PineAP problem like others in the forum.

From the GUI in recon mode. The first attempt after a fresh install works great. The usual pineAP needs to be started select ok, is scans returns results👍🏻 But then move away from recon, just looking through tabs. Then try recon again it asks to start PineAP, select yes/ok and it doesn’t start ever after that 😔

1 minute ago, biob said:

From the GUI in recon mode. The first attempt after a fresh install works great. The usual pineAP needs to be started select ok, is scans returns results👍🏻 But then move away from recon, just looking through tabs. Then try recon again it asks to start PineAP, select yes/ok and it doesn’t start ever after that 😔

While I can tell the process is terminating, it's not really useful information without more detail.

Generate a debug log before and after PineAP stops working and attach them to a reply in this thread, please.

Hmm, I only seen PineAP crash on me if I turn everything on and I get a ton of captured ssids.

The issue with the modules not working, you may have to hit up the contributors for that.  As far as PineAP not working as far as capturing phones, are you on the newest firmware of the phones?  If so, there you go.  I posted awhile back about PineAP, Mana and Karma attacks are going to have issues in the future.  Reason?  My Pixel and my wife's work IPhone do not probe for specific wifi names anymore.  They do a wildcard probe.  With a wildcard probe, all access points in listening range respond.  If one of the APs is the one in its list then it will attempt to connect to that one.  Since you not know what it is probing for, there is nothing to capture from it to respond back to hence no capture.  Keep in mind the AP it responds to has to be an open AP, no wep or wpa.

Anyway, a work around would be to load a list of known open access point ssids in the area and probe them to see if the phone connects to one of them.  A cool feature would be if PineAP gets a wildcard probe to respond with all the SSIDs it has stored.  Do not know if that is possible with a large list.

I'm ill today so going back to bed.  😐

And what I wrote earlier is ignored.  You can say PineAP crashes if toi much is going on.  PineAP is not at fault for the failed associations.  That is your phone manufacturer doing their damn job and protecting you.

I notice questions on the BB forum and here always pop up after a vendor fixes their bug like MS been doibg against a lot of the BB payloads and like Google and Apple are doing against PineAP, Mana and Karma.  They are not sending out the name of the APs they are probing.  It is a blank probe.  Use wireshark and look for yourself.  Fire up scapy, add a filter for probes and see for yourself.  The firmware to pineap did not break it, the firmware update to the phones added protection against it.

There are work arounds but for all those updated phones expect pineap to not work for them the same again.  Do what a hacker does....adapt.

@kuraz With these settings I was able to get probes in the Logging section of the UI on both the Nano and Tetra:

Pineapple UI > PineAP:
[  ] allow associations
PineAP Daemon: Enabled
Autostart PineAP: Disabled
[x] Log PineAP Events
[  ] Client Connect Notifications
[  ] Client Disconnect Notifications 
[x] Capture SSIDs to Pool
[  ] Beacon Response
[  ] Broadcast SSID Pool
Beacon Response Interval: Normal
Broadcast SSID Pool: Normal

Pineapple UI > Filters:
Client Filtering: Deny Listed MAC(s)
SSID Filtering: Deny Listed SSID(s)

Could you post your configuration if you're still having trouble please?

1 hour ago, bakedmuffinman said:

@PoSHMagiC0de if this was in response to my post. im using several devices. one of them is android 5. that being said. all of my devices were literally connecting before I upgraded fw to 2.4.2

Which firmware did you upgrade from?

I checked the changes made from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 today, and there is nothing that affects PineAP, at all.

20 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Which firmware did you upgrade from?

I checked the changes made from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 today, and there is nothing that affects PineAP, at all.

I upgraded from 2.0.2 to 2.4.2.

Since then I have tried downgrading back to 2.0.2  to 2.1.X etc etc. with no luck.

Archived