Can PSU dieing affect my HDD ?

film

Hi, my PSU has stoped working and i have but my HDD in a extrnel case as i have important data on it, but when i plug it in ... in device manager it comes up with 'Mass Storage Device' but it doesnt actuly show on My Computer that theres a HDD there ?

It could, although I would imagine the worst it would have done (in this instance) is brake the circuit board in side the enclosure (not the one on the HD). I suggest you take the hard drive out and plug it in to your motherboard.

But i have got XP on it and im using a differant pc as in need to order my PSU from fujitsu. I bought one but it seems it need a fujitsu one before my pc will start working. So im using my other pc to try get my data.

i know this sounds stupid but have u tried assigning the HDD to a new Drive letter, this has happened to my, i moved a HDD from a machine that the CPU died in, and the new machien found it as a RHDD but could not read it coz it still wanted to be C:

just in case.

Steps to change Drive Letters:

1. Right Click 'My Computer', and goto 'Manage'

2. On left panel goto 'Disk Managment'

3. Find the Disk, right click on it and goto 'Chnage Drive Letter and Paths'

4. Click Change

5. Set unused Drive Letter.

But i have got XP on it and im using a differant pc as in need to order my PSU from fujitsu. I bought one but it seems it need a fujitsu one before my pc will start working. So im using my other pc to try get my data.

What?

Ok .. My PSU died ... and i dont have another one as i need to order it from fujitsu as i tried one i have spar but it didnt work, and i got told it need to be orderd specialy. So i need this data ASAP and i have another computer next to me. I need to get the data from my HDD to a computer but i can use the pc it was in first as theres no PSU. The HDD has Windows XP on it, so i couldnt just plug it into another pc as you cant use a HDD with XP already installed in another pc (not sure why).

i had to do the same thing, computer A had HDD that i needed to get doc off. would not load past windows logo so i unplugged it made slave and plug it into my other computer and it recognized it.

second option take out the master HDD from your second computer and plug your external HDD in its place and see if you can access it from there and then you can back up your data.

second option take out the master HDD from your second computer and plug your external HDD in its place and see if you can access it from there and then you can back up your data.

Would that work though, as i have read that you if you have already installed Windows on a HDD and try to but the HDD in another computer it will not work as when you installed Windows it checked your hardware eg mother board and ram. If they do not match up the HDD will not boot ?

Via IDE ? ... as i have been told that if a harddrive has been formatted and got a OS on ... you cant plug it into another computer as it has differant hardware settings ?

Plug it in to a different channel on the primary chain or on to any channel on the secondary chain.

Remember though, when plugging it in to another machine to retrieve the data you must remember to make sure the jumpers signify correctly where the drive is on the IDE channel.

If your other computer has 1 HDD then it's master. This means that the HDD from your broken computer must be assigned as the slave drive if you're using it on the same channel as the one that's already in the machine. The drive may have a label on to explain where the jumper must be for the drive to operate as a slave. If it doesn't then you may be able to find information online.

Remember though, when plugging it in to another machine to retrieve the data you must remember to make sure the jumpers signify correctly where the drive is on the IDE channel.

If your other computer has 1 HDD then it's master. This means that the HDD from your broken computer must be assigned as the slave drive if you're using it on the same channel as the one that's already in the machine. The drive may have a label on to explain where the jumper must be for the drive to operate as a slave. If it doesn't then you may be able to find information online.

While this is true according to the standard, this isn't always true with some motherboards. Most notably recent Asus motherboards, if you have a jumper misconfiguration (i.e. both hard drives are set as slave or master) the motherboard will take it upon it's self to assign the first hard drive in the chain as the master and the second as the slave.