Hak5 Forums
Bunny Buntu

Should my VM and ISO disappear upon shutdown, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks to the good tutorials, I was able to get a Win2k8 server up and running on my Kali test station. I waited til all processes completed, then shut down overnight. This morning I ran vagrant up win2k8, and got:

Bringing machine 'win2k8' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> win2k8: Box 'rapid7/metasploitable3-win2k8' could not be found. Attempting to find and install...

I allowed the default 'VirtualBox VMs' directory to store the VM - maybe that was a mistake (I hate spaces in file/dir names). But there's not a trace of my VM or of the windows ISO either. Am I just misunderstanding Vagrant provisioning, and the machine is supposed to be built every time it's run? Forgive me if I'm being stupid - I'm utterly new to Vagrant.

Okay: just did a full manual rebuild process, which ended with a lengthy pause and an error message stating the process failed and the VM is being deleted.
SO I ran the build script instead, which completed successfully. I assume something I did during manual setups was wrong.
It would be nice to keep a static VM without having to provision it each time, but I guess being up-to-the-minute current is the reason the machine must be re-provisioned each time.

Mubix, thanks for all the help and how-tos, and especially for starting up with making Metasploit Minute videos again!