Jump to content
l.christophersen

Pinnapple Nano - Hardware failure?

Recommended Posts

Hi
Today, I received my pineapple nano, a
fter a long time waiting. Finally, I connected the nano to my computer and it’s boots up. After a few seconds, the connection over the USB port was initializing but never established. After trying to identify and retrieve a IP address the connection dropped. Over Wi-Fi there are no problems with the connection.

So I upgrade the nano with the latest software, over Wi-Fi, hopefully to solve the ethernet over USB problem. Without any result. After logging in, the dashboard shows me a 100% CPU usage. I really don’t know why, the nano is completely default. The only configurations are credentials, to be clear, no modules are running.

So, I load the recovery software on the nano. The same problem occurs. No ethernet over USB to the 172.16 address and dropping connections. The striking thing is, it doesn’t occurs with a connection to 192.168 address. It does drop after about ten minutes I think.

An other problem is, the nano is booting after few minutes and comes in a loop of booting.

In my opinion I tried everything to solve the problem; upgrading the nano, install recovery firmware, I updated my pc driver for USB over ethernet, tried with and without SD card.

I tried to set up a connection from my MS Surface, Dell laptop and HP PC, all with the same results. I tried several power supplies, combinations and options. Read almost any item on the HAK5 forum

I definitely need assistance to solve this problem or to determine it is a hardware failure because I really think it is.

In short:

·       Reboot issue

·       Very high CPU usage

·       Ethernet over USB problems 172.16 address

Anybody already faced a similar issue? It's kind of useless as it is right now. Who is able to help me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, l.christophersen said:

After logging in, the dashboard shows me a 100% CPU usage. I really don’t know why, the nano is completely default. The only configurations are credentials, to be clear, no modules are running.

its a UI issue, if you can SSH in and monitor the cpu with top/htop then you will likely see a much lower performance - there is talk of removing the CPU usage tile to avoid people worrying.

11 hours ago, l.christophersen said:

An other problem is, the nano is booting after few minutes and comes in a loop of booting.

this sounds like a power issue or perhaps you interupted the flash during upgrade? also have you put in a microSD card? the nano really should be used with an SD card set up correctly.

11 hours ago, l.christophersen said:

Ethernet over USB problems 172.16 address

Likely you are using windows? have you tried another computer? ideally using a linux OS - this could help you figure out if its OS or device 🙂

Worst case you can factory reset or if that does not work then as a last resort you can try a firmware recovery.

Edited by Just_a_User

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

Thank you 'just_a_user' for your input and energy.

 

7 hours ago, Just_a_User said:
18 hours ago, l.christophersen said:

An other problem is, the nano is booting after few minutes and comes in a loop of booting.

this sounds like a power issue or perhaps you interupted the flash during upgrade? also have you put in a microSD card? the nano really should be used with an SD card set up correctly.

I an sure I didn't interrupt the power during upgrading. The nano is new for me, but flashing and upgrading not. I tried with and without the SD card, the SD card is as an USB device

7 hours ago, Just_a_User said:
18 hours ago, l.christophersen said:

Ethernet over USB problems 172.16 address

Likely you are using windows? have you tried another computer? ideally using a linux OS - this could help you figure out if its OS or device 🙂

I tried with W10 on several devices and Kali linux. the network problem is on all devices and Operating Systems. 

 

I am starting to believe it is a Pinnapple Nano problem and not in the firmware. I reseted the bad boy more than onces and place  the firmware recovery software on the Nano. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, l.christophersen said:

the SD card is as an USB device 

Im not sure what you mean here, but you can set up the SD card on the pineapples advanced page, using the drop down and Format USB.

11 minutes ago, l.christophersen said:

I tried with W10 on several devices and Kali linux. the network problem is on all devices and Operating Systems. 

So to be clear, each machine/OS you plug this into - some discover the interface but none assign it an IP?

13 minutes ago, l.christophersen said:

I am starting to believe it is a Pinnapple Nano problem and not in the firmware. I reseted the bad boy more than onces and place  the firmware recovery software on the Nano. 

Again im not 100% sure what you mean but it sounds like you have tried both a reset and have made a firmware recovery? the firmware recovery requires you to plug in the nano while holding the rest button down then manually assign an 192.168 IP - it als orequires the special factory version of the firmware. If you didnt flash the factory firmware and flashed an upgrade version it could also have problems booting for example.

I would try to rule out firmware before assuming hardware issues. especially if the pineapple works appart from the USB ethernet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thx again.

I flashed the nano with the special factory version of the software, by pressing the reset button for 10 sec and connect to the 192.168 address. 

After this procedure, the logging went ok and I made the secure set up and finalized it. To be clear, I do this over the wifi not over the USB connection. That connection is interrupting and restart every few secs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, l.christophersen said:

To be clear, I do this over the wifi not over the USB connection. That connection is interrupting and restart every few secs

you do firmware recovery over wifi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me that I am not very clear on that point.

the recovery  firmware installation is wired at 192.168. The connection on that address can be established. after the reboot that follows after the flash, the connection drops and reboot at 172.16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so when the 192.16 connection is made the connection is found and works on both windows linux etc... that would indicate its not hardware, no?

Edited by Just_a_User

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, l.christophersen said:

I see your point, the question is then, what is the difference between recovery mode and normal operations mode?

Static IP and ip via DHCP Could be that its a windows issue? when you say you tried kali Linux was that in a VM on the W10 box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 12:32 PM, l.christophersen said:

Hi
Today, I received my pineapple nano, a
fter a long time waiting. Finally, I connected the nano to my computer and it’s boots up. After a few seconds, the connection over the USB port was initializing but never established. After trying to identify and retrieve a IP address the connection dropped. Over Wi-Fi there are no problems with the connection.

So I upgrade the nano with the latest software, over Wi-Fi, hopefully to solve the ethernet over USB problem. Without any result. After logging in, the dashboard shows me a 100% CPU usage. I really don’t know why, the nano is completely default. The only configurations are credentials, to be clear, no modules are running.

So, I load the recovery software on the nano. The same problem occurs. No ethernet over USB to the 172.16 address and dropping connections. The striking thing is, it doesn’t occurs with a connection to 192.168 address. It does drop after about ten minutes I think.

An other problem is, the nano is booting after few minutes and comes in a loop of booting.

In my opinion I tried everything to solve the problem; upgrading the nano, install recovery firmware, I updated my pc driver for USB over ethernet, tried with and without SD card.

I tried to set up a connection from my MS Surface, Dell laptop and HP PC, all with the same results. I tried several power supplies, combinations and options. Read almost any item on the HAK5 forum

I definitely need assistance to solve this problem or to determine it is a hardware failure because I really think it is.

In short:

·       Reboot issue

·       Very high CPU usage

·       Ethernet over USB problems 172.16 address

Anybody already faced a similar issue? It's kind of useless as it is right now. Who is able to help me?

Did you set up the connection sharing in Windows? See https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471434-WiFi-Pineapple-NANO-Windows-Setup

also have a look at https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010555473-Internet-connection-sharing-over-Ethernet-in-Windows

Most of the issues I've experienced with the Nano can be resolved by closer scrutiny of the provided documentation. The main issue I've experienced is plain and simple overheating after about 5-10 of operation without modules running. Still trying to find answers on that issue.

Edited by nastyolbstrd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 7:17 PM, nastyolbstrd said:

Did you set up the connection sharing in Windows? See https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471434-WiFi-Pineapple-NANO-Windows-Setup

also have a look at https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010555473-Internet-connection-sharing-over-Ethernet-in-Windows

Most of the issues I've experienced with the Nano can be resolved by closer scrutiny of the provided documentation. The main issue I've experienced is plain and simple overheating after about 5-10 of operation without modules running. Still trying to find answers on that issue.

Hi buddy,

I have the same experiences (pineapple nano overheating). I completed the setup as per the directions provided in the two links, but to no avail.

I have used the 'Y'cable and it overheats, I use it directly into the USB and it overheats, but I haven't tried it independently i.e. off a power bank. 

Any other tricks, say change the ariels for better ones or add a fan system?  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers 😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...