Fast Production vs. Quality Production

debianuser

I want it fast!

I want it quick!

I want it now!... and the easy way!

Just tell me how do I do that:

• How to learn C in 5mn?

How to become a hacker in 1mn?

How do I chmod a whole directory and sub-directory?

........... (and so on... :roll: )

It is funny to realize that as our society is getting faster and faster (everything has to be quick), people want to accomplish stuff without having to go through the hassle to learn.

I remember, writing my first program in C, I started from writing "Hello world" and directly jumped on "how to implement tables and array"... I mean, what the heck! I want to write than #*%& GUI program that my 5 years Ingenier friend is doing.

Well after a while, I had to go back to start reading from the beginning.

I mean... so many times, have I lost time searching on google, when I could have just spent 1h from the beginning reading the whole manual, or just doing a simple "man xxxx".

It's like that guy who wants built a php script which could read records from a database, just "googled" it, found a Tuto on how to do it, did it. It was fine. I mean great program from someone who does not know php at all?! :roll:

What's wrong with this society?

where is the balance between fast production and quality production?!

:?

What's wrong with this society?
It is funny to realize that as our society is getting faster and faster (everything has to be quick), people want to accomplish stuff without having to go through the hassle to learn.

This one's pretty easy. Most people that haven't learned better yet want to run before they can walk. The goal in that case is transportation, which only entails reaching some other place. All the time spent on the act of transportation (walking or running) is basically lost time that could've been spent better, so let's just run and get it over with quickly.

Of course with some easy things it's very well possible to do this. When you buy a new TV, things have typically ben made sufficiently idiot-proof that even a moderately sane person can set it up properly without reading that dreaded manual. Eventually so many things will have been made idiot-proof that people will expect any other device they encounter to be just as easy.

In the case of the technical side of things, people for the most part don't care for learning something as that too is not their goal. They want to do X. So if they can get their hands on a program that does X they'll be happy. The end result is the kiddie. They don't care why the buffer overflow works. They won't even know that it's a buffer overflow in program Z that's being exploited. All they care about is the resulting shell on that target machine, which will allow them to brag about how leet they are. After all, isn't that what cackers do? They go into machines, deface websites and brag about how cool they are. And with this spiffy program I downloaded I can do just that. So now I'm a cracker, and my friends will see it that way aswell.

where is the balance between fast production and quality production?!

:?

In the corporate world, I actually see quite a lot of this.

"Good is good enough" is a popular mantra, and the main cause for patches after the project has been delivered.

In the corporate world, I actually see quite a lot of this.

"Good is good enough" is a popular mantra, and the main cause for patches after the project has been delivered.

You can never deliver a new product and be 100% right. Joe Public, although lacking all other signs of intelligence, is highly adept at breaking things in new and marvelously complex ways. And then you have marketing teams, who don't even live in the same universe. They will happily pin a huge deal on something that doesn't exist (and let you deal with the guy who spent hundreds of pounds on something that will never work), or there own overly optimistic interpretation of the specs/a dream they had that was just swell. But the worst is management. My boss worked in a chocolate factory before he ran my place, so how he was expected to a office full of geeks is beyond me.