How to get into disallowed drives at school

ynt4xe770r

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boot off of your own CD/Floppy/USB stick?

Or maybe even put your own command.com (or whatever it's called these days) on one and just run it in place.

Hate to give you the bad news, but if they formatted the drives with NTFS, booting a CD, floppy, or USB drive with COMMAND.COM on it isn't going to give you access to the C: drive. (not without special utilities - see below)

I would suggest checking sysinternals.com You might be able to get some good utils that will help ya.

You might be able to use this util http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsDos.html

that will allow you to see the C: drive from a DOS boot.

Before you go around screwing with stuff you are not allowed to use, look up your University's rules and punishments surrounding the type of stuff you are planning to do.

At my school, what you are proposing is called a techno-crime and is punishable by exspulsion. The best case scenario is that you will lose all computer privileges. If you are computer science major or digital media major, losing computer privileges is like being exspelled anyway.

Hate to give you the bad news, but if they formatted the drives with NTFS, booting a CD, floppy, or USB drive with COMMAND.COM on it isn't going to give you access to the C: drive. (not without special utilities - see below)

I would suggest checking sysinternals.com You might be able to get some good utils that will help ya.

You might be able to use this util http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsDos.html

that will allow you to see the C: drive from a DOS boot.

Of course it is formatted with NTFS. That is common sense. And ntfs doenst mean shit. The encryption on it is next to worthless if you know what you are doing.

Before you go around screwing with stuff you are not allowed to use, look up your University's rules and punishments surrounding the type of stuff you are planning to do.

At my school, what you are proposing is called a techno-crime and is punishable by exspulsion. The best case scenario is that you will lose all computer privileges. If you are computer science major or digital media major, losing computer privileges is like being exspelled anyway.

True. Found out that at my university (of Derby, AVOID!) you can be subject to disaplinery procedures for as little as plugging a laptop in thats not been tested by site electricans (takes a week...).

And another student was kicked out for acidently messing up a bunch of work on one of the 7-day sweep drives as well, poor girl.

If your just interested in how its run, why not ask one of the techs? They might actually feel happy to answer a question other than "is this bit ment to come off?" or "it asked me a question so i clicked yes, now its broken, why can't you keep the computers running?"

Egnoring the legal, EULA and any other non technical issuess with this. If you cannot access the drive becasue of the restriction explorer imposses (rather then the NTFS permissons), just use any thing that isn't explorer to access them. I surgest firefox, becasue it's not suspisos (if you use Portable firefox on like USB flash memory that is) and it supports tabs, so you can quickly Ctrl + w if you see some one coming ;)

If its public then you are subject to the lawsof your state. Schools in California are very strict about illegal use of state electronics.

If you guess at a number coded door (electronic of course) does that mean you can be arrested on the spot?

If its public then you are subject to the lawsof your state. Schools in California are very strict about illegal use of state electronics.

If you guess at a number coded door (electronic of course) does that mean you can be arrested on the spot?

if you crack the code, open the door, and enter with intent to steal or damage something - that's breaking and entering.

If you are just guessing and or crack the code it's Trespassing I believe.

Just the fact that you are attempting to bypass security measures by guessing at the code is an infraction of penal codes in some places.

Breaking and entering is simply when you enter an enclosed area through some locked portal. Having the intent to take something is irrelevant. Trepassing mostly pertains to open spaces such as private land property.

Oviously try to go into Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer and type "C:". But if they locked that out then try this: go into word and type "link", highlight the word and click the little chain in toolbar at the top then make it a hyper link to "C:", then click the word link. EZ

You could use a batch file to make an admin account on a local machine and have acess from there.

the code would be

@echo off

net user Admin /add /expires:never /passwordreq:no

net localgroup "Administrators" /add admin

just paste it into notepad and name it admin maker.bat

If you get in trouble or expelled then thats not my fault. >.>

I managed to access the command promt at school. Don't know if it'll work for you or not though but here goes.

Open notepad. Make a .bat file containing something that won't close the command promt. Run the .bat file.

If you can't open notepad from the start menu(like at my school) then do the following.

Find a file in My Documents or the desktop or something(anywhere you can access) that doen't have a set program to open with and double click on it. Then it'll ask you to chose whether to search for a program on the web or choose from a list. Select choose from a list. Select notepad to open the file.

This all depends on how well the computers have been locked down of course.

Just the fact that you are attempting to bypass security measures by guessing at the code is an infraction of penal codes in some places.

Breaking and entering is simply when you enter an enclosed area through some locked portal. Having the intent to take something is irrelevant. Trepassing mostly pertains to open spaces such as private land property.

If they can prove intent doesnt it go to a criminal case? If you are trespassing thats not a criminal offense.

Nonetheless its not a good idea unless you know you cant get caught.

You said that B&E is when you break into somewher and steal something. I'm saying that B&E is when you forcibly enter a locked or restricted area. The intent to steal something is irrelevant to B&E. You could enter to leave something instead of take something or break stuff.

Just because you won't get caught doesn't make it a good idea either. It's funny that people are up in arms over privacy issues but then go around telling impressionable youth that its a good idea to invade the pricacy of another as long as you don't get caught.

And tresspassing is a criminal offense. I believe it is a misdemeanor in some cases and a felony in others. I believe its a misdemeanor when you do something like "cut across Old Man Johnson's back forty to get to school faster" and hacking an electronic door and entering a restricted room in a government facility is a felony.

You could use a batch file to make an admin account on a local machine and have acess from there.

the code would be

@echo off

net user Admin /add /expires:never /passwordreq:no

net localgroup "Administrators" /add admin

just paste it into notepad and name it admin maker.bat

If you get in trouble or expelled then thats not my fault. >.>

wont work on a windows 200 network , tryed it @school and got a system error 5 acces denied .

You said that B&E is when you break into somewher and steal something. I'm saying that B&E is when you forcibly enter a locked or restricted area. The intent to steal something is irrelevant to B&E. You could enter to leave something instead of take something or break stuff.

Isn't the 'forcibly' bit irrelevant aswell? The 'breaking' purtains to the security mechanism in place. In the case of the electric lock, guessing the right combo (beit through luck, looking over the shoulder of someone who has access or brute forcing the thing) means you broke the obviously present security mechanism (the lock). When you enter this locked area, you're now B&E. Take something and it's burgulary too.

I thought trespassing referred to the outdoors. You fence off your yard and some schmuck decides to climb over it, that sort of thing.

Note that I'm not an American, so most of my knowledge comes from TV shows, and we all know how reliable those are...

And tresspassing is a criminal offense. I believe it is a misdemeanor in some cases and a felony in others. I believe its a misdemeanor when you do something like "cut across Old Man Johnson's back forty to get to school faster" and hacking an electronic door and entering a restricted room in a government facility is a felony.

So in this case intent is relevant. I actually always figured the severity of the charge would have a relation to the amount of security you've broken.

I actually find these law threads pretty damned interesting. :)

There are classes and levels to misdeanors and felonies as well Cooper. It is the same set-up as murder charges with degrees expressing different levels such as planning versus spur of the moment.

My sate and county each have a section in their legislature about Trepsassing. It is divided up into sub-sections as Felony Tresspassing and Misdemeanor Tresspassing. As of Jan. 1, 2006 there are also sections involving electronic counter-measures.

Since when has the law ever applied to internal school discipline? Do you have a right to representation, the right to appeal or to see any evidence against you if a teacher decides you pissed them off in class and punishes you? Do you have the right to a jury of your peers and to present your side of the story? No.

Hell, some kids got suspended recently for just *looking* at a myspace profile the school had decreed as offensive. You have very few “legal†rights as a student if the case stays internal to the school.

What happens is the teacher marches you to the principle, says you’ve been hacking the school computers. We all know what the uneducated think a hacker is...

Having said all that, I still think just asking the IT people to show you around might actually get you somewhere.

Since when has the law ever applied to internal school discipline? Do you have a right to representation, the right to appeal or to see any evidence against you if a teacher decides you pissed them off in class and punishes you? Do you have the right to a jury of your peers and to present your side of the story? No.

Now what kind of school? If you are a minor you are not afforded the rights of a jury of your peers but appeals are allowed I believe? Unless charged as an adult I guess the word "Peers" are the 18 year olds if you are younger than that.

If it can be proven that you broke into an area of the school in which you werent supposed to be, or that your intent was to break into an area in which you arent supposed to be knowingly then the natural course of action is to contact the local authorities, not give the kid a detention.

Why would it be different for the computer systems? If you attempt to break into a computer system you know you arent supposed to be in, or circumvent policies and or procedures why is that not also a similar offense? Especially if they can prove you did it?

My state is pretty vague on the interpretations of it all, however they blanket the whole access by stating "Any unauthorized access attempt" which pretty much means anything that you werent explicitly allowed access for is against that law.

To the point about telling "Impressionable youth" that its not a good Idea unless you cant get caught. Lets be realistic. When you were young and told what you CANT do, what did you most likely do? You did it, even though you were told not to. So lets not candy coat the reality. The reality is that if you are going to speed, do it where you know the police arent. If you are going to do something (no matter what anyone tells you) then maybe you should ensure you wont get caught doing the deed.

I didnt know trespassing was a criminal offense, I always thought it was a misdemeanor, but I dont trespass so its something I dont keep up on.