Jump to content
Im new

2018 what Modules work Nano

Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2018 at 11:48 AM, Im new said:

Just purchased Wi-Fi pineapple nano and was wondering what modules work 

Try them one by one, most of the modules have a forum thread so if it doesnt work there is often solutions/workarounds in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Im new said:

Thank you the reason I asked was becouse a lot off people are saying the Wi-Fi pineapple no longer works in 2018 

 

watch this and make your own mind up 😄

 

Edited by Just_a_User

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 4:53 AM, Im new said:

Thank you the reason I asked was becouse a lot off people are saying the Wi-Fi pineapple no longer works in 2018 

 

The one's saying that clearly just press buttons and wait for something to happen and if it doesn't, it's broken!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _0NiTy said:

The one's saying that clearly just press buttons and wait for something to happen and if it doesn't, it's broken!

 

I feel confident with the command line but think the pineapple should work fine just pressing buttons as my openwrt flashed router  so as to learn the concepts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newbier said:

but think the pineapple should work fine just pressing buttons as my openwrt flashed router

I think all the pineapples buttons currently work well 🙂 , third party modules maybe have some issues but thats not officially part of the pineapple - and most have work arounds or fixes.

Edited by Just_a_User

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that the work a rounds can be done with the command line in saying that is pineapple a professional device that works out the box or a hobbyist project for me to tinker with in my room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Newbier said:

I understand that the work a rounds can be done with the command line in saying that is pineapple a professional device that works out the box or a hobbyist project for me to tinker with in my room

So it seems you are indeed focusing on the fact that (currently) some 3rd party modules dont work out of the box? I think it is rightly marketed as a device for people of all skill levels.

Im also a hobbyist and i know im barely scratching the surface of what can be done with it. But I'm sure a professional can do so much more without touching a module at all, or even build their own private modules.

Take a look in /usr/sbin/ for example and see what other tools are there by default that could be used, let alone whats available on opkg for download, or could be compiled and run. I think Hak5 have provided a platform to build on, while still making it do the fundamentals (and some advanced) and do them well with the default built in tools

Edited by Just_a_User

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

So it seems you are indeed focusing on the fact that (currently) some 3rd party modules dont work out of the box? I think it is rightly marketed as a device for people of all skill levels.

Im also a hobbyist and i know im barely scratching the surface of what can be done with it. But I'm sure a professional can do so much more without touching a module at all, or even build their own private modules.

Take a look in /usr/sbin/ for example and see what other tools are there by default that could be used, let alone whats available on opkg for download, or could be compiled and run. I think Hak5 have provided a platform to build on, while still making it do the fundamentals (and some advanced) and do them well with the default built in tools

I said that cause i replied to"Im new"  he commented on it I have no idea of his skill  level but  i read other blog posts of others saying the  similar things. I have been doing this  for about  10 years myself, but was thinking if i had to give this to my mate thats doing his cyber security course tell him to do a mitm on my network he won't know what to do when the modules don't work he will say this box is faulty  cause he expects it just to work, i on the other hand have got kali on a Raspberry pi with alfa cards and get along fine. I understand about the third party  modules, this is just me but i think there should be modules created by hak5 so they just work and then along side that have optional third party modules created by users so that my mate  will be able to use it to learn and progress his knowledge so that he too can understand how the workarounds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Newbier said:

I said that cause i replied to"Im new"  he commented on it I have no idea of his skill  level but  i read other blog posts of others saying the  similar things. I have been doing this  for about  10 years myself, but was thinking if i had to give this to my mate thats doing his cyber security course tell him to do a mitm on my network he won't know what to do when the modules don't work he will say this box is faulty  cause he expects it just to work, i on the other hand have got kali on a Raspberry pi with alfa cards and get along fine. I understand about the third party  modules, this is just me but i think there should be modules created by hak5 so they just work and then along side that have optional third party modules created by users so that my mate  will be able to use it to learn and progress his knowledge so that he too can understand how the workarounds 

If you didnt explain to your mate when giving it to him that some modules currently dont work then Its a fair point that a newcomer may expect all modules available to work with current versions of firmware. Especially if there is no warning prior to download that they come with no guarantees of operation.

As you know there is a cycle - where the modules work with a version of firmware, then there is an update which sometimes brings bugs to modules taking them temporarily out of action. The Dev usually fixes and updates and the cycle goes round again. Some Devs are busy, some only wrote it as a one off, Some leave the scene etc.

There has been discussions in the past where there was suggestion of module status or some visual confirmation of operation with current firmware. maybe Green, amber, red kind of thing or simple yes/no. I would imagine thats a fair amount of work to maintain if updates gain fast pace.

For now the modules that are usually always working are the ones in the firmware itself.. Everything else has no guarantee, But if your willing and able you can find the forum thread, find someone has had thesame issue, fixed it and shared the solution and copy it. Alternativly you could join IRC or Discord to see if anyone is online and has had similar issue.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...