USB device not recognized

CuChulaind

On Windows 10, been working with my Tetra (had ICS working). Today when I connected the Tetra to my computer (USB eth1 to my USB port) I got a pop-up error: USB device not recognized. Last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

Device Manager gives a code 43 and "A request for the USB device descriptor failed" An uninstall and reinstall of the driver via Device Manager did not remedy the issue.

I did a hard reset of the Tetra, an update to Windows, as well as used a different USB cable, all to no  avail

Any suggestions as to how to  remedy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I found the FAQ, where it states that you might have to download the drivers if your windows OS does not automatically recognize the drivers. I tried. It did not work.

My workaround, which is kinda bad, is to use my android device with tethering enabled. Which actually worked like the guide stated. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue.  I tried the link in the FAQ, but is just 404's now.

RTL8152B   is from the broken URL for the Realtek chipset number.

I went through Realtek's website (without annoying email and captcha) and downloaded the driver.  I ran the setup.exe from Install_USB_Win10_10028_11222018.zip

Still no luck.  I also installed the latest available firmware (2.4.2).   Multiple USB cables (work fine on UART).

Windows 10 64-bit.

When in firmware recovery mode the device for usb-eth1 was recognized by Windows as a Realtek device.  Another computer with Linux Ubuntu 18.04 did not like it though.

I had installed the Realtek driver previously too.  You have to search their website for "RTL8152B" as they block direct download links now for some reason.

Doing downgrade of firmware now to see what happens.
    From 2.4.2 --> 2.4.1

Using the recovery method at https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq
    I ignored the tetra_factory.bin image and just used the 2.4.1 one from https://www.wifipineapple.com/downloads#tetra

Handy commands on windows:

netsh interface ip set address "Ethernet 2" static 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

~When done~
netsh interface ip set address "Ethernet 2" dhcp

I waited about 1 minute after the web portal said it was flashing.

UART serial connection was required to complete:  "boot" command on uboot after uploading firmware image.  A simple power unplug and plug-in might have worked too.  I used the AC->DC power adapter.

http://172.16.42.1:1471

ETHERNET WORKS in Windows 10 64-bit with firmware:        2.4.1

I then granted WAN access and did the OTA update to 2.4.2.   I unplugged the usb-eth1 cable and plugged it back in.  The port still works now with 2.4.2.

So perhaps the error means you have a bad flash and just need to do a firmware recovery flash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

After trying numerous USB cables, I found the original Y cable provided with the device, and it appears the device is recognised with this cable? Is there anything particularly special about this cable, excluding the obvious?

Original post

I'm also getting the same issue on my freshly reset Tetra - same story on three different devices (Linux, Mac, Windows). The device is unrecognised, and the last message in the syslog is"unable to enumerate USB device". The UART port on the second USB port works fine and is recognised. This device definitely previously worked on 2.4.2, however I'm running out of options now.

Any suggestions please @Foxtrot? Happy to send over logs, or perform any further debugging steps you could recommend in order to get a resolution.

Thanks

p.s. here are the log entries when trying to connect the device on my Linux laptop (where it previously worked)

[23823.594376] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 32 using xhci_hcd
[23823.722416] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[23823.958427] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[23824.194409] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 33 using xhci_hcd
[23824.322438] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[23824.558441] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[23824.666492] usb usb1-port1: attempt power cycle
[23825.318425] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 34 using xhci_hcd
[23825.318505] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[23825.526501] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[23825.734423] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 34, error -71
[23825.862443] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 35 using xhci_hcd
[23825.862528] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[23826.070504] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[23826.278441] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 35, error -71
[23826.278559] usb usb1-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

It honestly just sounds like the last cable you were using is not a good one, especially considering the cable included with the box worked.

There is no difference in the cable the TETRA comes with other than the second male USB port, which only splices power into the cable.

• 4 months later...

This is extremely frustrating.  I took a huge Windows 10 Update last week, not the Realtec driver is unrecognized.  I tried updating the driver.  I tried downgrading.   It appears I am out of luck sharing my windows machine and the pineapple.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, you can try repairing the  USB Root Hub. here are the detail steps, hope can help you.
Step1: Press Win+R and type devmgmt.msc and then open Device manager of your computer system.
Step2: Look for “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and click on it to expand the list.
Step3: Now, search for “USB Root Hub” option and right click on it to select the properties.
Step4: After this, open “Power Management” option to uncheck the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” and press “OK”.

And I think you can download the Bitwar data recovery on your PC in advance to avoid data loss. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Fun times. Have a new Tetra. Updated to 2.6.2 and it worked fine for about a week. Then eth1 failed to connect to both my Win10 and Kali boxes. Fun times. Win 10 says unrecognized USB device. Installed the realtek drivers from their site, nothing. With the unit plugged in did a Windows 10 update (running 1903). Nothing. Tried several different cables on the 2 machines, including the one provided with the Tetra, no go (because obviously it's a cable issue, and can't be a hardware or firmware issue).

With the Tetra in the factory image mode (no power, press reset, power while holding reset for 10 seconds), no connection via eth1, nor the uart (Linux dmesg | grep tty returns: usb 1-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0) screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 brings up a blank screen, pressing enter several times results in no activity.

• 2 years later...

Archived