Jon Stewart vs. a G4

VaKo

I saw the Jon Stewart show a while back--the news satire thing. It was on the French riots. I thought it was going to be an intelligent show but it just fully of jingoistic anti french rubbish.

I did only see the one show though.

meh, nothing to do with the post, just chatting shit.... :P

No idea why everyone is supposed to hate the french, they cook kinda well, the women are hot and there wine is great.

Jon Stewart's Daily Show basically takes the piss out of everyone they can. But whats really cool is when he interviews people like Colin Powel or L. Paul Bremer. People who really are involved, its really interesting to see them tell there story. The Bill O'Rielly one was noteable as well (seriously, send him to Iran, it'll be worse for them than any invasion/air strikes). The ones with movie stars in them usually blow though, like anyone gives a fuck about what The Rock thinks...

I saw the Jon Stewart show a while back--the news satire thing. It was on the French riots. I thought it was going to be an intelligent show but it just fully of jingoistic anti french rubbish.

meh, nothing to do with the post, just chatting shit....

I’m not sure it’s “jingoistic anti french rubbish†when Paris was rioting for how long? and all because so little fuck ass decided to run from the cops and hide in an electrical sub-station. I’m sorry but that kid is a retard and no one it to blame for his death but him-self. Where I come from I was taught to say away from things that said danger high voltage.

Also I think you’re missing the point of the show because he makes fun of everything not just the French; I mean how full of your-self are you to think that the Daily Show only exists to make fun of the French

meh, nothing to do with the post, just chatting shit....

I’m not sure it’s “jingoistic anti french rubbish†when Paris was rioting for how long? and all because so little fuck ass decided to run from the cops and hide in an electrical sub-station. I’m sorry but that kid is a retard and no one it to blame for his death but him-self. Where I come from I was taught to say away from things that said danger high voltage.

Also I think you’re missing the point of the show because he makes fun of everything not just the French; I mean how full of your-self are you to think that the Daily Show only exists to make fun of the French

oh my, oh my. I am assuming you didn't see the program i was talking about. That explains this comment:

"I’m not sure it’s “jingoistic anti french rubbish†when Paris was rioting for how long?"

And if you believe the riots were "because so little fuck ass decided to run from the cops and hide in an electrical sub-station" i believe you should try and expand your news sources. While services such as fox,cnn etc have there place (that place can be debated heh heh), you try a news source that has a bit more of a world perspective. Such as the bbc worldservice (different from normal bbc services). Try the online streaming radio. It's good stuff.

If you had you might realise the riots were bit more complex than the death of a "little fuck ass". Issues such as racism, the french economy, society (what is it to be french?, can you be muslim AND french?) , etc... But i digress.

The program i saw was just "muss-lim this muss-lim that". No politcal comment. Nothing. Not intelligent. Perhaps you need to see what intelligent satire is: Try a torrent or wiki search for:

Bremner Bird & Fortune

Brass eye

Yes Minster!

The boondocks (there was an ep on the iraq war. Very good)

Im afraid I don't know any decent U.S ones (due to the fact I dont watch much U.S tv). Although some of the stand-ups are really good. Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle for example.

"I think you’re missing the point of the show because he makes fun of everything not just the French"

Well as I said, i did only watch the one program. The description of it as "news satire thing" may have been incorrect. If the program does not satire the new the please tell me, what is it?

"I mean how full of your-self are you to think that the Daily Show only exists to make fun of the French"--- This im afraid i have no idea where the fuck you got this from.

ps.

For all the old forum / irc members that know me: see I can be nice. :lol:

pps.

I did see Jon Steward on a cnn 'news' (note quotes) program. It was called cross talk i think. He done well there.

pretty sure The Boondocks is a US show.......atleast i know i have been reading the cartoon in the paper for like 6 years....

and yes i undetstand the subtext of those riots but the bottom line is that they were sparked by with the kid running from the cops. but don't get me wrong i'm not hating the french i mean here in minneapolis they riot cause they win a fucking hockey game. all i was trying to do is defend Jon Stewart cause he is a very smart very funny man. his book is really good. the daily show has to be dumbed down, so give his book a read somtime, it's even got pictures! :D

yes fox is crap and cnn is directly owned by viacom so yes i know were to get my news from (generaly BBC).

and the show is called crossfire and it's on CNN but it's not a news it's a talk show, they don't even pretend to do fact checking on talk shows......

pretty sure The Boondocks is a US show.......atleast i know i have been reading the cartoon in the paper for like 6 years....

and yes i undetstand the subtext of those riots but the bottom line is that they were sparked by with the kid running from the cops. but don't get me wrong i'm not hating the french i mean here in minneapolis they riot cause they win a fucking hockey game. all i was trying to do is defend Jon Stewart cause he is a very smart very funny man. his book is really good. the daily show has to be dumbed down, so give his book a read somtime, it's even got pictures! :D

yes fox is crap and cnn is directly owned by viacom so yes i know were to get my news from (generaly BBC).

and the show is called crossfire and it's on CNN but it's not a news it's a talk show, they don't even pretend to do fact checking on talk shows......

back on point:

no the bottom line is, I judged one episode of his show, only one. I made that clear. I thought as you put it... it was a dumbed down show. Note, my use of the word 'show', it doesnt imply that Mr Stewart is stupid,or that he is not a "very smart very funny man" (im sure he would be touched by your man love) . I mean to give you a lesson in subtext, I stated that

i was expecting an "intelligent show". Would that not indicate that i thought the gentleman would be intelligent? Would it be logical for me to expect an "intelligent show" from a man i thought to be an ass?

mmm?

I also did not say the show was there to"that the Daily Show only exists to make fun of the French".

Ive read my previous posts and I am still unsure what particular point you were taking umbridge with.

I mean, wtf...did you even read the posts?? Jesus.

no the bottom line is, I judged one episode of his show, only one. I made that clear. I thought as you put it... it was a dumbed down show.

I would suggest downloading a few more in that case. True, it is a comedy show, but there are some absolute gems in there depspite the dumbing down. IE his interview with the head of Iraq's airforce under saddam or paul bremmer.

I think his tactic is to actually get people who think politics is "boring" to realise what is going on. I watched him get interviewed by Larry King and he seemed so defeated. His comments were basically that he didn't know what more it would take for people to realise republican/democrat contest was destroying his country.

Has anyone downloaded the torrent BTW?

As for the french, they have problems with there society. Largery based on a very idealistic view of national identity coupled with a large amount of immigrants. But i'm so sick of hearing this anti-french stuff from a large amount of people who A: have never been to france, b: have never known a french person and c: don't read the news beyond the headlines.

What we can expect is french-islamic hip-hop...

back on point:

no the bottom line is, I judged one episode of his show, only one. I made that clear. I thought as you put it... it was a dumbed down show. Note, my use of the word 'show', it doesnt imply that Mr Stewart is stupid,or that he is not a "very smart very funny man" (im sure he would be touched by your man love) . I mean to give you a lesson in subtext, I stated that

i was expecting an "intelligent show". Would that not indicate that i thought the gentleman would be intelligent? Would it be logical for me to expect an "intelligent show" from a man i thought to be an ass?

mmm?

I also did not say the show was there to"that the Daily Show only exists to make fun of the French".

Ive read my previous posts and I am still unsure what particular point you were taking umbridge with.

I mean, wtf...did you even read the posts?? Jesus.

wow, and u wonder why people think the french are stuck up. how on earth is any of that a lession on subtext. you know what just forget it i don't have the time to try and make you understand my poltical views, they are weird and some whould say silly, so all i have ot say is watch Jon Stewart cause he is a funny man with important messege.

wow, and u wonder why people think the french are stuck up. how on earth is any of that a lession on subtext. you know what just forget it i don't have the time to try and make you understand my poltical views, they are weird and some whould say silly, so all i have ot say is watch Jon Stewart cause he is a funny man with important messege.

"and u wonder why people think the french are stuck up. " --- i did?

"how on earth is any of that a lession on subtext." - subtext: content which is not announced explicitly by the characters (or author) but is implicit or becomes something understood by the reader / viewer as the production unfolds. ---wiki...meh work it out from that

"i don't have the time to try and make you understand my poltical views, " --- i'm not sure you understand them dude.

"[my political views] are weird and some whould say silly, " --- wow i'd love to hear (although it would be off topic) your wierd, wacky and I assume subversive political views! Im drooling at the prospect of having my limited view on existance and how to make a good egg nog blown away by your insight!!! Check it out, i'm siting at my computer in the traditional zen buddist meditation position waiting for the gift that is your knowledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But please taking it slow and dont use too many big words!!!!!

okay....... bending over now!!!!!!! be gentle!!!

ok, im done now. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure, personnally i thought The Rock had died off in the Great Bicep Shortage of '03 but you live and learn. Glad you like the show though, you might also find The Colbert Report funny if you enjoy satire.