Support for the MARK V ?

BeNe

Hi,

i´m glad to hear and read about the C2 Cloud - awseome work! Just wanted to know if you going to support the Mark V, too. They lieing around and would be the perfect drop box. It wont hurt me that much if the MARK V get´s lost instead of the actual Nano or Tetra.

Thanks @the whole Hak5 Team

Can I ask a question?  I know this may be the wrong place for it but why do the developers at Hak5 hate the wifi pineapple mark v so much?  Not looking to start a rant or anything.  Just looking for a few simple honest answers from the developers.  The mark v was such a bit hit for you guys and gals several years ago.  It has the same chip as the nano.  Only difference I see is the package and the second wireless chip.  I know there are a few more smaller differences but again if the core is the same chip why so much hate?  It's the one product that many of the hak5 supporters have including myself, we want to continue to use it, and the developers very much dislike it for some reason.

Could we at least get the tools and infusions to support it ourselves?  Please?

If the HAK5 Team is going to support RPI´s as a Dropbox to connect to the C2 and also release a "General Linux Version" (https://forums.hak5.org/topic/44493-are-raspberry-pis-supported/)

THEN please, the Mark V should not be left on the way and also get a support for the cloud.

#SupportMarkVC2

There's no hate for the Mark V -- it was a huge successor to the Mark IV and paved the way for the 6th generation ecosystem we have today with the NANO and TETRA. Unfortunately there are many differences that complicate the additional development streams. After porting a stable branch of the 6th generation firmware to the Mark V platform in Q3 2016 we focused solely on development with the current generation and growing the product line. It's not that we don't love the Mark V - it received 22 firmware updates in 3 years, each enhancing its capabilities - but in much the same way that we don't support the Mark I, II, III and IV - there's simply not enough resources to continue those development efforts. 

That said I'll take your feedback into consideration and should there be any further options for the platform we'll keep the community apprised in its respective forum.

1 hour ago, Newbier said:

Mark V has gone the way of the dodo bird mate, so will the nano and tetra when the next  version of the pineapple is released

We gave the MKV a few years before discontinuing it. We intend to keep support going for the WiFi Pineapple NANO and TETRA as long as it is feasible.

1 hour ago, Sebkinne said:

We gave the MKV a few years before discontinuing it. We intend to keep support going for the WiFi Pineapple NANO and TETRA as long as it is feasible.

I understand that's how tech works we had Samsung 3 before now we got Samsung 9. I think people would like to give continued life to pineapple like flashing openwrt on an old tp-link router or convert an old gaming rig to a Nas with freenas.

47 minutes ago, Newbier said:

I understand that's how tech works we had Samsung 3 before now we got Samsung 9. I think people would like to give continued life to pineapple like flashing openwrt on an old tp-link router or convert an old gaming rig to a Nas with freenas.

Seeing as we are re-shuffling a bunch of firmware code and pushing some more stuff upstream, I'll see if I can also add the WiFi Pineapple MKV to upstream OpenWrt. No promises, but that would at least allow you to build vanilla OpenWrt for it.

• 1 month later...

In a general sense, is there a document that describes what you can do with the Nano that can't be done with the last release of the Mark V?

Also, it would be nice to have a discount option for those that have purchased hardware that must be replaced (for example the Mark V to Nano jump). Maybe there is, or was, and I wasn't aware.

I wish but I'm pretty sure they just want our money again and again and again

For a company that thrives because of community support there's not much give back to paying customers

I've been a long time supporter but as a new product comes out they abandoned the old ones

Archived