I am currently generating a set of NTLM rainbow tables

hgate73

I am currently using a Compaq DL580 rackmount server (4u) to generate a set of NTLM tables, 1-14 characters. Is anyone interested in helping? I know they'll come in useful when Vista hits mainstream (it uses NTLM hashes by default).

It is a 4-CPU box, each CPU at 700MHz each. I've assigned each CPU to a set of tables (Indices 0, 1, and 2 respectively), reserving CPU 0 for system/OS operation. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to help out generating Indices 3, 4 and 5.

Otherwise, I'll post here when they're done with a link to the .torrent.

@Sparda,

Thank-you for the link. Those aren't NTLM though - they're LM. Vista will use NTLM only (with LM available as a back-compat option). AFAIK I am the only one working on a set of NTLM tables.

I'll be glad to help out with MD5 once I'm done with the NTLM set, but I won't interrupt NTLM because (for me anyway) it'll come in more useful later on.

I haven't been keeping up with the rainbow tables but what happens if we come to a computer that uses salt make the md5 tables useless.

They're useless, like you just said. If the hash is salted, rainbow tables are worthless. They only work on "straight/plain" MD5 hashes.

Well, I had to reboot the server today (Windows updates...sigh), and WinRTGen went back to the 1st table in each set at 90%.

(it was barely started with the second table in each set anyway, so I only lost about 1 day of work)

I figured the NTLM tables would be useful a lot sooner, since there are already various MD5 tables scattered around the Internet.

I'm new here, and I'll confess I haven't read the FAQ yet - but should I start an official 'project'? (can I start an official project?) Alternatively I would sure appreciate anyone who can lend a few spare cycles.

You should probably talk with Silivrenion. He's sort of the manager of the rainbow tables project.

If your NTLM table becomes approved as the new Community Rainbow Tables project, you can count me in.

My only issue is the stupid 56k dial-up *sigh* but be assured there will be DVD's in the mail full of RT goodness.

The Community Rainbow Tables project has been thinking about what the next technology will be, however no final plans have been set for the next one. The majority of people voted MD5, but we'll have a meeting coming up soon to allow people to voice their opinions.

If you want to integrate the NTLM tables with the Community Rainbow Tables project, please contact me in the RainbowTables channel, irc.hak5.org #RainbowTables and we can discuss what set you've begun to generate, and whether it'll make sense to continue it via the community.

Also, keep an eye on rtables.blogspot.com, specifically the RSS feed of the page.. news for the Community Rainbow Tables project is submitted there.

If you have any questions, again, feel free to ask in the IRC channel

Kudos on the ideas,

Silivrenion

...If you want to integrate the NTLM tables with the Community Rainbow Tables project, please contact me in the RainbowTables channel, irc.hak5.org #RainbowTables and we can discuss what set you've begun to generate, and whether it'll make sense to continue it via the community.

Silivrenion

Silivrenion, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but I've never used IRC. I've got GAIM installed, but the IRC setup is confusing. Is there a good guide anywhere? I'm too lazy to Google :wink:

EDIT: Nevermind - I got it working.

That would be handy. The problem is NTLM hashes don't get split into two 7-character segments like LM, and (I think) they're a lot bigger.

HD/Blu-Ray would be a great way to distribute them, but most people won't have a HD/BR drive for a while.