Jump to content

Wifi mini PCI-E with Monitor Mode & Packet Injection


sekrit
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am looking to try my hand at the "White Hat" life.  There are a ton of open networks in my area, and I would like to expose vulnerabilities to the owners.  To do this, I would like very much like to find where I can find an internal wifi adapter, so that I may attempt my audits discreetly.  Everywhere I look, there are only USB options available.  HOWEVER, If I see a wifi dongle with an antenna, they are at only about 1:100 ratio.  These days seeing such stands out (at least in my area), and it would seem as though I may as well wear a sign to go along with it.

Please assist me in finding an effective solution to match my needs.  

Thank you so very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm confused.

What do you want?

If PCI-e you're looking fairly "big", as it's a PCI-e card with a backplate.

If USB, you're looking nail-sized USB or external WiFi card and antenna from a USB cable (ALFA-like).

You could try getting a WiFi card similar to those in phones, but I'm not sure how it would work with a PC/laptop etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

I'm confused.

What do you want?

If PCI-e you're looking fairly "big", as it's a PCI-e card with a backplate.

If USB, you're looking nail-sized USB or external WiFi card and antenna from a USB cable (ALFA-like).

You could try getting a WiFi card similar to those in phones, but I'm not sure how it would work with a PC/laptop etc.

Actually "Mini PCI-E" are for appliances such as laptops.  I have never seen any with "backplates"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sekrit said:

Yes.  However, I believe that I may have found a mini PCI-E card to suit my needs.  I will order that on on Friday and try it in my system.

 

Thank You.

Sorry, I should have specified "you want something like this". That was just a picture as an example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2018 at 3:34 PM, sekrit said:

I am looking to try my hand at the "White Hat" life.  There are a ton of open networks in my area, and I would like to expose vulnerabilities to the owners.  To do this, I would like very much like to find where I can find an internal wifi adapter, so that I may attempt my audits discreetly.  Everywhere I look, there are only USB options available.  HOWEVER, If I see a wifi dongle with an antenna, they are at only about 1:100 ratio.  These days seeing such stands out (at least in my area), and it would seem as though I may as well wear a sign to go along with it.

Please assist me in finding an effective solution to match my needs.  

Thank you so very much.

Just an fyi, talk to a lawyer first.  People get kind of funny with extortion.  "I see you have an open network, would be a shame if all your data got out.  I can fix that for X amount of cash".

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, barry99705 said:

Just an fyi, talk to a lawyer first.  People get kind of funny with extortion.  "I see you have an open network, would be a shame if all your data got out.  I can fix that for X amount of cash".

I appreciate that.  Any strategy employed as a part of a business model/consultancy/not for profit/other by myself or any proximal person/agent would exclude extortion/blackmail/other practices viewed and or deemed prohibited as written by law.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Sekrit, "I know I’m a bit late to this conversation",

Here is how it works; you need to make a few decisions based on your circumstances.

How are you hacking? are you really white hatting, in that case people are not going to mind seeing you walk around with a big external adapter connected.
are you Gray / Black whereas in this case you’re going to want to be discreet.

What are you hacking? 2.4, 5G or both? 

What OS are you using, there is a ton out there but the two most common are kali and parrot

How is the OS being used, Natively or via a VM?

Answer those and you will have the answer to your question.

 

To understand how your answers affect the result:

You need a wlan CHIPSET that supports both Packet Capture "monitor mode" and Probing "Packet Injection".
Chipsets are connected to PCB boards, and PCB boards require drivers to translate and control the hardware attached to them.

Not every OS has supported Drivers for Manufacturers, so you could have an adapter from let’s say Asus that has a chipset that can be used for hacking, but wont work because Asus don’t make the drivers for Monitor Mode or Packet Injection for specifically Kali and or Parrot. whereas you could buy an adapter from Alfa Networks that has a hacking capable Wi-Fi chipset that will work with both, "and out of the box in some cases".

Next is the OS installation, a lot of adapters connected directly to a systems bus will not work in VM passthrough, again driver issues.
honestly, I don’t think I have ever seen any bus connected wlan chipsets work with a vm.

so, if you’re running your OS for hacking via a VM, 99% of the time its going to be a usb connected adapter.

Not all laptops allow you to just pull out the wlan card and swap it for another, for example I tried something similar with my ThinkPad, I pulled out the WWAN card and put in a newer one, physically it connected fine, but the BIOS was locked and would not allow the hardware to work, so pay attention to that.

So, if you find a laptop that has a preinstalled mPCIe wlan card that has a chipset designed for Wi-Fi hacking, awesome.
or if you have a laptop that has an open bios, you might be able to buy a wlan card that will work for hacking Wi-Fi.

 

Right now, I am looking to do some Gray hat pen testing, so I am looking around for a laptop that has an open bios so I can pop in an mPCIe.
I know that you can get one from Alfa networks which has an 8812au chipset.

and I’m looking about for a brand that works with kali or parrot which has either a Realtek 8812au 8814au or a 9271 from Atheros.

By the way, those three chipsets are the main ones. and you can get them all from Alfa networks in adapter form.

oh also, I suppose equally as important, for the brute force, you’re going to want to have a beefy CPU, or a CUDA capable GPU, unless you’re planning on waiting ages.

Hope this helps, 

Right now, I am thinking of researching Framework laptops, very modular, open bios and I wanna stick in an Intel AWPCIE-ax200u

Anyway, I hope this was in someway helpful.


R
Asid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, sekrit hasn't been online for over 3 years, so I hope he/she "wakes up" to see what you have written.

I don't agree to the fact that 881x is part of the "main ones" because they suck horses ass due to bad drivers for Linux based systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...