More than one IP with DSL?

nitro13

Its possible, you just need to get a business package not a home package. Bit more pricey than regular home ADSL but having static external IP's is great.

So if i get two external IP and wants to redirect them to my webserver at home...

i will just do a Port Translation on the firewall...

so IP: 80.80.80.80 .. port 80 ... redirected to 192.168.1.2

and IP: 90.90.90.90 port 80 .... redirected to 192.168.1.2

i use IPCOP... can it host more than one ip?

Its good, but if your after multiple external static IP addresses you might be after something a bit more robust. For instance being able to connect to server1.domain.com, server2.domain.com etc, something dynDNS won't let you do.

Its possible, you just need to get a business package not a home package. Bit more pricey than regular home ADSL but having static external IP's is great.

So if i get two external IP and wants to redirect them to my webserver at home...

i will just do a Port Translation on the firewall...

so IP: 80.80.80.80 .. port 80 ... redirected to 192.168.1.2

and IP: 90.90.90.90 port 80 .... redirected to 192.168.1.2

i use IPCOP... can it host more than one ip?

There are other options: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-1053789.html. Depends on what you want to do though. And how many machines you want to connect.

Its good, but if your after multiple external static IP addresses you might be after something a bit more robust. For instance being able to connect to server1.domain.com, server2.domain.com etc, something dynDNS won't let you do.

well see... I always though, one network card, one IP address

so in case you've got multiple address, which IP the network card that is connected to the DSL box gets? all of them...

sorry I am just confused... this is new for me

well see... I always though, one network card, one IP address

so in case you've got multiple address, which IP the network card that is connected to the DSL box gets? all of them...

sorry I am just confused... this is new for me

Your home internet connection will assign 1 dynamic public IP. So if you used a switch and not a router only one machine could get an IP. If you had a connection with 3 static IP's, you could use a switch and connect 3 machines to the internet at the same time.

So, if your router allowed it, you could have 2 machines with public IP's, and a normal NAT'd public IP with a DHCP server. Or, you could assign 2 IP's to the card, and a have a public IP and a private IP, and then simply bind services to the IP you need it on. But this is paper work to me, I've never done it in practice. I suspect PAT will go very bad, very quickly if your not careful with your traffic routing.

Well, on *NIX you can clone your network adapter. You end up with eth0:0, eth0:1 eth0:2 and so on, and can assign IPs to each the same way you would a normal adapter.

I use this for my ADSL router. It's in bridging mode, so I get my internet IP address on my own machine's network adapter. To still have access to the internal web interface of the router I cloned that network card to also be aware of the internal network that the router is on.

An ifconfig shows it like so:

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:75:85:FD:B5  

inet addr:123.45.67.89  Bcast:123.45.67.255  Mask:255.255.252.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:859536710 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:5 frame:0

TX packets:941606426 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 

RX bytes:636938715 (607.4 MiB)  TX bytes:3997597405 (3.7 GiB)

Interrupt:15 Base address:0xe000 

eth1:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:75:85:FD:B5  

inet addr:172.19.3.2  Bcast:172.19.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

Interrupt:15 Base address:0xe000