[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.3.x

Sebkinne

Hi everyone,

After releasing firmware version 2.3.0 at DEF CON, I hadn't gotten around to creating a forum thread of it yet. As usual, please leave all feedback in this thread.

- The Hak5 Development Team

Changelog 2.3.1:

• Recon
    • Fixed an issue where timed recon scans would fail the first time around.
    • Fixed an issue where the stop handshake capture button would persist after a capture had completed.

Changelog 2.3.2

• Recon
    • Fixed an issue where performing recon scans would lock up all further PineAP actions.

Changelog 2.3.0:

• Recon
    • Added the ability to capture WPA Handshakes by clicking on the arrow next to a WPA / WPA2 encrypted network.
    • Fixed an issue where multicast MAC addresses were shown as clients to wireless networks.
  • PineAP
    • Fixed an issue where PineAP would remain running when the wlan1mon interface had been removed, causing confusion.
  • Filters
    • Fixed an issue where some combinations of filters did not apply correctly.
  • Logging
    • Fixed an issue where non-completed associations were logged as completed.
  • General
    • Fixed an issue where notifications would show invalid timestamps in Firefox.
    • Fixed an issue that prevented the timezone set during initial Setup from persisting across reboots.

Download:
Over the air via your WiFi Pineapple's webinterface, or at https://wifipineapple.com/downloads

@Sebkinne @Foxtrot I havent dug to deep yet, but wanting to checkout the recon module differences from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0, I have noticed on both nano and tetra that recon live is not working and it will not display results of the scan.  I am using Chrome latestest update and am connect via eth1 via usb.  When I have time later Ill dig in to see if it is running the python script for live but just worried that it wont even display the results of scan itself and loading the scan from previous scans will not display results either.   like I said I noticed this on the Nano and Tetra both.  Might try a firmware reset and see if that fixes it and if not a firmware restore. But Im limited on time right now so I will get back to you later with my results

6 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

with your Tetra you can plug in an ethernet cable, or use the ETH uUSB port and internet connection share through a laptop or plug in a compatible  3rd radio into the USB port and then use wlan2 to connect to an AP.

Thanks, one other quations:

1. The SSIDs that I have scanned (SSID pool) now appear with a password on my WLAN list?
  2. And i can not use the Open SSID, when i choose the network no connection

12 minutes ago, NicTheTank91 said:

Thanks, one other quations:

1. The SSIDs that I have scanned (SSID pool) now appear with a password on my WLAN list?
  2. And i can not use the Open SSID, when i choose the network no connection

These are not issues with Firmware so we are well off topic. if you would like to direct message me i will be happy to continue the discussion. I will be deleting my previous messages to keep this thread tidy maybe you can do the same.

Is it just me (and several *nix boxes here at the house) or does 2.3.0 no longer show on the Downloads page?

I was able to manually mung the URL and download a copy - but not so sure I want to use it if it's been pulled for some reason or another.

Yea, cleared my cache, etc - just don't see it on the web site. Maybe some kind of distributed cache thing, eh?

14 hours ago, b0N3z said:

have noticed on both nano and tetra that recon live is not working and it will not display results of the scan. 

I had something weird happen with the initial upgrade so at the time Firmware recovered and upgraded again and im currently running 2.3.0 and live scans work and can be loaded from history etc.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:35 AM, Just_a_User said:

I had something weird happen with the initial upgrade so at the time Firmware recovered and upgraded again and im currently running 2.3.0 and live scans work and can be loaded from history etc.

yeah OK, although live continuous works for me on 2.3.0 the standard live scans are borked lol non live work fine for me.

@Sebkinne @Foxtrot. Just upgraded to 2.3.1 and with a clean upgrade via the advanced tab, I'm still having the same issue with recon as I was having with 2.3.0.  I will try a firmware reset and then a firmware recovery to see if this will solve the issue.   I'm using chrome and have no other modules running besides PineAP being enabled.

upgraded from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 and it is working for me. Although I have noticed non live scans don't auto load the results after scan. but you can click load and they display. Also for me continuous isnt continuous ? Humm that's all not consistent,. its true for 30sec scan, but not for 10min scan...

I will also firmware recover and update and will see if persistent.

AFTER FIRMWARE RECOVERY AND UPDATE - there seems an issue with first recon scan, no results displayed and scan would not load. After the first scan the second works well, results shown and load. Non live scans update results after scan and load. Continuous is still not continuous tho.

1 hour ago, Just_a_User said:

upgraded from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 and it is working for me. Although I have noticed non live scans don't auto load the results after scan. but you can click load and they display. Also for me continuous isnt continuous ? Humm that's all not consistent,. its true for 30sec scan, but not for 10min scan...

AFTER FIRMWARE RECOVERY AND UPDATE - there seems an issue with first recon scan, no results displayed and scan would not load. After the first scan the second works well, results shown and load. Continuous is still not continuous tho.

Hello 2.3.2 Then. 

2 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

AFTER FIRMWARE RECOVERY AND UPDATE - there seems an issue with first recon scan, no results displayed and scan would not load. After the first scan the second works well, results shown and load. Non live scans update results after scan and load. Continuous is still not continuous tho.

I just tested a live, continuous Recon scan from a freshly flashed device on 2.3.1, and received expected results. What browser are you using?

5 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

I just tested a live, continuous Recon scan from a freshly flashed device on 2.3.1, and received expected results. What browser are you using?

chrome latest update for the tetra and chrome mobile for nano with same results on both.  will do a firmware restore tonight and verify also for the nano I've been using it wired to my phone through the pineapple app

@Foxtrot  Did a Firmware Recovery to 2.0.2 and then upgraded via Advanced Tab and still have the same results as 2.3.0 for the Recon Module

1 minute ago, Just_a_User said:

Nice just flashed 2.3.2 looking good so far... just cant find the handshake capture button ?

Selection_020.png

Click on the security drop-down of a WPA/2 access point within a recon scan (scan needs to be paused or completed).

@Sebkinne @Foxtrot. Awesome update, it has fixed the recon issue I was experiencing. I have noticed something else that @Just_a_User mentioned earlier.  The CPU usage on the dashboard seems to stay quite high despite what it actually is and "ssid added this session" doesn't clear out after a reboot and seems a little funky.  Not major issues just something I have noticed since 2.3.1. As always great work, keep it up

?

Edit: I'm only noticing these minor dashboard hiccups on chrome mobile, desktop chrome seems to be fine.

5 hours ago, b0N3z said:

@Sebkinne @Foxtrot. Awesome update, it has fixed the recon issue I was experiencing. I have noticed something else that @Just_a_User mentioned earlier.  The CPU usage on the dashboard seems to stay quite high despite what it actually is and "ssid added this session" doesn't clear out after a reboot and seems a little funky.  Not major issues just something I have noticed since 2.3.1. As always great work, keep it up

?

Edit: I'm only noticing these minor dashboard hiccups on chrome mobile, desktop chrome seems to be fine.

I think it's probably caching then, I haven't seen that behavior myself.

While the CPU usage may seem high, it's not a really good representation of actual system usage. Open top and look at the usage for a while, you'll notice it stays pretty low.

Just loading the CPU usage / doing the dashboard requests makes the CPU spike. We are considering replacing it with load averages.

Archived