PC world

Bell

There's a topic already about learning about hacking at https://forums.hak5.org/topic/913-hacking-where-to-begin/

But when it comes down to it, Mac OSX, and Apple hardware in general, is the very antithesis of hacking, and the hacker mindset. No control over the OS or hardware? No thanks.

Start with learning how a computer works. Then perhaps build your own. Doesn't have to be crazy expensive, but learning the basics of building is a great idea. Hak5 and Tekthing have both done PC builds in the past, so while outdated on latest tech, the basics remain the same.

Once again, as for the best specs for pen testing? Well that all depends what you are doing.

21 hours ago, Rkiver said:

There's a topic already about learning about hacking at https://forums.hak5.org/topic/913-hacking-where-to-begin/

But when it comes down to it, Mac OSX, and Apple hardware in general, is the very antithesis of hacking, and the hacker mindset. No control over the OS or hardware? No thanks.

Start with learning how a computer works. Then perhaps build your own. Doesn't have to be crazy expensive, but learning the basics of building is a great idea. Hak5 and Tekthing have both done PC builds in the past, so while outdated on latest tech, the basics remain the same.

Once again, as for the best specs for pen testing? Well that all depends what you are doing.

I appreciate the feedback.  The HPs look good to handle the load of the VMs and everything running in kali.

The HPs? Well you see that's not true.

Some HP devices might be perfect, depending on what you are doing. Some might be grossly overpowered, some might be completely underpowered.

A random manufacturer does not a pentesting machine make.

Prossesor speed good

Need goOd RAM

VGA card not neccessary but nice

.pick and choose kind of like a gaming rig if you take a look on twitch.tv check out some of the big named twitchers Ninja

Timthetatman Dr.Disrespect Summit1G

I say they have pretty resonable hacking rigs. If they wanted to convert.

Edited by Bigbiz
Cotrection

6 hours ago, Bigbiz said:

Prossesor speed good

Need goOd RAM

.pick and choose kind of like a gaming rig if you take a look on twitch.tv check out some of the big named twitchers Ninja

Someone watches too much Fortnite..

Anyway, all you need is an old laptop or PC and give it the good ol' Kali boot.

If you're looking to have a PC that runs a bunch of virtual machines I would suggest buying something along these kind of specs:

Processor: Intel i5, Intel i7 with a speed around 2.5 - 3.5 GHz
RAM: Try and aim for around 1-2 GB per Linux VM and 2-4 GB per Windows VM (bear in mind the host, assuming it's Windows, needs probably 4 GB minimum)
Storage: SSD/HDD, doesn't really matter in this situation. Try and keep around 60-80 GB of storage per Windows machine. Linux machines are generally smaller, but I don't deal with them often so I couldn't give you exact numbers.
GPU: On-board motherboard graphics are generally fine unless you're hash-cracking, playing games or mining. In which case it varies heavily in what GPU you need.

Keep in mind these are optimum specs. You could get by with an older laptop or an i3 machine but you wouldn't be able to manage as many VMs (if any).

5 hours ago, abelwho said:

i use a macbook pro 2012, it is hard to put kali linux on a mac.and i do run in to problem from time to time.

Well there's your problem. You don't use a Macbook for anything outside it's spec. Apple doesn't like that.

On 8/8/2018 at 2:05 AM, Dave-ee Jones said:

If you're looking to have a PC that runs a bunch of virtual machines I would suggest buying something along these kind of specs:

RAM: Try and aim for around 1-2 GB per Linux VM and 2-4 GB per Windows VM (bear in mind the host, assuming it's Windows, needs probably 4 GB minimum)
Storage: SSD/HDD, doesn't really matter in this situation. Try and keep around 60-80 GB of storage per Windows machine. Linux machines are generally smaller, but I don't deal with them often so I couldn't give you exact numbers.
GPU: On-board motherboard graphics are generally fine unless you're hash-cracking, playing games or mining. In which case it varies heavily in what GPU you need.

Keep in mind these are optimum specs. You could get by with an older laptop or an i3 machine but you wouldn't be able to manage as many VMs (if any).

Thanks for the feedback.

On 8/8/2018 at 2:05 AM, Dave-ee Jones said:

Thanks for the feedback.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:34 PM, Bigbiz said:

Prossesor speed good

Need goOd RAM

Thanks for the feedback.