CAT6

White hat IT

So I Haven't Worked With The Packet Squirrel But From My Understanding It's Just Connecting 2 Ethernet cords together. So It's A Very Dangerous Tool. I Install Cat6 For Avigilon Cameras Internet Phones Etc . I Talked To My Company About A Safe Way To Install The Cables Next Time. The Way We Were Installing It Was Just Move Ceiling Tile Grab The Cat6 Wire Cut It Into 2 pieces and connect the packet squirrel between the client and the switch. But Now I Think I'm Just Over Reacting? I'd Hate To Do More Work Just To Be "Safe" When It's Not A Problem ?

On 8/1/2018 at 3:08 AM, White hat IT said:

The Way We Were Installing It Was Just Move Ceiling Tile Grab The Cat6 Wire Cut It Into 2 pieces and connect the packet squirrel between the client and the switch.

Was this for your own network or for a client (or multiple clients)?

Bear in mind it limits the network to the client and switch to 100 Mbps, down from probably 1 Gbps assumedly, since you're using higher-end cabling. That's 9/10 of your network speed gone just to install a PS.

5 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Was this for your own network or for a client (or multiple clients)?

Bear in mind it limits the network to the client and switch to 100 Mbps, down from probably 1 Gbps assumedly, since you're using higher-end cabling. That's 9/10 of your network speed gone just to install a PS.

It Depends Who The Customer Is Usually There From 6-120 PCs APs Network Printers Etc connected to a network switch

On 8/2/2018 at 6:15 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

So why are you installing Packet Squirrels in a business environment, then?

I Was Just Giving And Example On How Easy It Would Be For Someone To Install Packet Squirrel 

Also What If Someone Installs It On A Network Camera Or Printer?

10 hours ago, White hat IT said:

Also What If Someone Installs It On A Network Camera Or Printer?

Then they can sniff the packets going to/from the device. Just like a computer end-device.

Depending on how heavily encrypted the camera traffic is you could potentially re-create the feed from the PS.

(Psst, @Sebkinne, imagine the PS having a radio so you can send that traffic off and watch the feed remotely...)

Archived