Can i have your opinion?

Joe2525

I'm locking forward to buy an alfa wifi adapter and the strongets 2 are

Alfa AWUS036ACH / AC1900

My question is which one of them should i buy i need onr to work well and staple with kali? 

I know that AC1900 is more powerful and have more rang but it doesn't work well with kali right? 

I need your opinion 

I know that the Alfa AWUS036ACH is compatible not just with Kali but with Linux Kernels 4.1 and under.

I have the AWUS036ACH but not using Kali ... There are some issues when starting monitor mode and injecting packets but I haven't fully played around with it yet.

I don't have AC1900 but it does have a longer range than AWUS036ACH. I'm not 100% sure if it'll support packet injection. It does support Linux Kernel 2.4 (or later) though.

I'd go with Alfa AWUS036ACH.

Edited by _0NiTy
typo

2 minutes ago, _0NiTy said:

I know that the Alfa AWUS036ACH is compatible not just with Kali but with Linux Kernels 4.1 and under.

I have the AWUS036ACH but not using Kali ... There are some issues when starting monitor mode and injecting packets but I haven't fully played around with it yet.

I don't have AC1900 but it does have a longer range than AWUS036ACH. I'm not 100% sure if it'll support packet injection. It does support Linux Kernel 2.4 (or later) though.

I'd go with Alfa AWUS036ACH.

Is AWUS036ACH staple? 

I heared many people says it's not staple and they couldn't start monitor mode. 

And another one saiit it gave him only a few meters range

Yeah, it's if you're using it on Windows for WiFi >.> (it really is).

Seriously though, monitor mode doesn't start like it should. It stays on a "fixed" channel, even when specifying which channel to listen on. There seems to be a bug where it displays "-1" channel, which can be fixed but isn't permanent. Packet injection works but looks entirely different; there are some cases where it doesn't go through, even when it displays it does ...

Honestly, it's just a headache to me. Oh and if you're not using Kali (I don't) you have to install / use a Linux kernel that's version 4.2 and under. Anything that's kernel higher than that, you'll have installation issues ... Well, I haven't tested any other version higher than 4.2 but I'm assuming it wouldn't work.

All in all, Alfa AWUS036ACH *does* work but isn't really "stable" as most people think. Personally, I'd just stick to 802.11/b/g/n instead of attempting to mess around with a/an/ac for a while.

*Might want to have a look at this thread: Alfa AWUS036ACH Kali Configuration Guide this was posted earlier this year. I came across this literally just yesterday and have not had the time to overlook it.

Edited by _0NiTy
Added a link to a thread with a guide

1 hour ago, _0NiTy said:

Eh, I have some problems with mine now and again. It's not overly stable for long-term purposes but short-term it's a good solution. I've probably been using mine for my home Windows PC for about 3-4 months or so it and for the most part it's okay, just inconsistent. Long term just get a PCIe adapter.

1 hour ago, _0NiTy said:

Seriously though, monitor mode doesn't start like it should. It stays on a "fixed" channel, even when specifying which channel to listen on. There seems to be a bug where it displays "-1" channel, which can be fixed but isn't permanent. Packet injection works but looks entirely different; there are some cases where it doesn't go through, even when it displays it does ...

Honestly, it's just a headache to me. Oh and if you're not using Kali (I don't) you have to install / use a Linux kernel that's version 4.2 and under. Anything that's kernel higher than that, you'll have installation issues ... Well, I haven't tested any other version higher than 4.2 but I'm assuming it wouldn't work.

All in all, Alfa AWUS036ACH *does* work but isn't really "stable" as most people think. Personally, I'd just stick to 802.11/b/g/n instead of attempting to mess around with a/an/ac for a while.

*Might want to have a look at this thread: Alfa AWUS036ACH Kali Configuration Guide this was posted earlier this year. I came across this literally just yesterday and have not had the time to overlook it.

I didn't buy it yet I'm just gathering some opinions. 

So after all what is the best alfa wifi adapter you recommend for me it must be stable and work well with kali?