Long rang hacking

Joe2525

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello guys, 

I know this topic is old, but I'll give it a try. Someone at the start of the topic said that long-range hacking could be done if you get a yagi antenna. But in that case we would need two yagi antennas, right? One at our place, and one at victim's place? Otherwise, we'd basically have one way communication, and how useful can that be? The solution to have a yagi antenna near the victim doesn't sound real.

Sorry if I didn't get something right, I just had to ask to see if I'm missing something. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 7:22 AM, Miloš said:

Hello guys, 

I know this topic is old, but I'll give it a try. Someone at the start of the topic said that long-range hacking could be done if you get a yagi antenna. But in that case we would need two yagi antennas, right? One at our place, and one at victim's place? Otherwise, we'd basically have one way communication, and how useful can that be? The solution to have a yagi antenna near the victim doesn't sound real.

Sorry if I didn't get something right, I just had to ask to see if I'm missing something. 

The idea of having a 'wide' antenna is the capture of data, via a higher chance of capturing the signal output from a distant radio source.
So, yes, having two antennas is best, one either end. However, you can capture traffic with one antenna, your end, from a much smaller antenna the target end. You just might struggle to send data, such as keeping a shell open for example.

Distance also matters. Having a large, wide antenna your end, say a mile/1.3km away, when they only have a standard WiFi hub would be OK for capturing a 4-way handshake for later cracking, but probably not good enough to keep a reverse shell open without issue. Get a little closer though, say 300 metres, and a wide antenna would be ideal.

Now a 'Yagi' antenna is the opposite of the above. It is 'long' rather than 'wide', which means it's more suited for transmitting data, so great for reverse shell over long distance, but you might struggle to keep a connection open because the capture of signal back your way would be diminished.

This is why a 'cantenna' exists; it's a little of both. A Yagi, one-directional signal is transmitted, but the 'can' captures a bit more of the wavelength coming back towards you and keeps it's signal bouncing around within the can for  a moment, allowing the antenna to pick it up again more easily than not having a 'can'.

There is a possibility of using both, and configuring the transmitting of data from a Yagi and the capture of data from a wide antenna.

And none of the above comments take in to account the dBi of different shaped antennas, which again plays a role.

Edited by 0phoi5