Long rang hacking

Joe2525

I need something for long rang wifi hacking as long as possible. 

But I'm not interesting in building one so i need to buy it. 

I know about the (long rang wifi bundle)  on hak5 shop but i don't know how far it can go so I'm just asking what is the longest distance i can capture with it? 

If there is another device or bundle like alfa  can  be longer than this just tell me about it with numbers if possible. 

Thank you

Maybe a yagi and a wifi amp?

I built me a couple of cantennas from stainless steel toilet brush holders and mounted them to tripods.  Good range directionally.  I am waiting for a 3000mW 35db amp to come in this week to see if I can make it go even further.

For extreme ranges you will need a directional antenna which seems to work good and maybe an amp if you want to get more.

Heck on amazon you can get some huge wifi amps and a parabolic dish if you are that serious.

As a rule, 5 GHz WiFi connections are more susceptible to obstructions than are 2.4 GHz.

The WiFi signal range of any given access point also varies significantly from device to device.

Factors that determine the range of an access point include:

the specific 802.11 protocol it runs,

the strength of its device transmitter and directional appointments,

the nature of physical obstructions and/or radio/EMI interference in the surrounding area.

Physical obstructions in built up areas such as brick walls and metal frames or even open woodland forest, can reduce the range of a WiFi network by many percentages.

We cant give you specifics on range for any setup you so choose, simply because we dont know the environment your intending to operate in.

Do your homework, and you shall be better served.

Edited by r3plic4tor
  • Upvote 1

I'm working in a city environment (brick wall commonly) i didn't know that i could go for 237 miles. 

I need something that i can carry with me and if we talk about numbers i want a range of 5-10 Km but as i said  i need one that i can carry with me if possible. 

Q: how long can the best alfa wifi adapter get me but of course one that can work well with kali 

9 hours ago, Joe2525 said:

I'm working in a city environment [..] i want a range of 5-10 Km

You're going to struggle to get that in a city environment with Wi-Fi wave lengths, unless you're on top of a tall building.

You're probably best off researching a way to use a much lower frequency signal, such as the 800mhz range, and use something on either end of that to convert back in to Wi-Fi.

Research ProxyHam, LoRa and Sonnet.

14 hours ago, Joe2525 said:

I'm working in a city environment (brick wall commonly) i didn't know that i could go for 237 miles. 

I need something that i can carry with me and if we talk about numbers i want a range of 5-10 Km but as i said  i need one that i can carry with me if possible. 

Q: how long can the best alfa wifi adapter get me but of course one that can work well with kali 

The record shot was from a mountain top, my backhaul shots were on top of 150 foot radio towers.  Like haze said, you're not going to get anything like that in a portable device.  Well actually that's not true, we all carry around portable wireless devices that give us global network range...

1 hour ago, Joe2525 said:

1-What about the alfa wifi adapter how far can it get me for example 

Alfa AWUS036ACH or AC1900

2- what about using an upgraded antenna with the pineapple nano yagi antenna for example 

The maximum distance I personally have managed with a simple Yagi antenna (like this) was 1 mile (1.3km).

Wi-Fi isn't really designed for the distances you are thinking about, unless you are willing to go the DIY route.

You could probably get 1-3 miles with this, I doubt any further. And I'm talking line-of-sight here, not through multiple buildings. Through buildings, you'd get a few hundred yards, not miles. This can only be mitigated by sending the signal above the buildings.

People who manage further are pretty much guaranteed to be hobbyists that have DIY'd their own Wi-Fi rigs.

It's all about frequency; Wi-Fi is too high of a frequency to travel long distances, hence suggesting using around the 800mhz range above and converting the signal on either end with an RPi / Arduino / etc connected to shorter distance Wi-Fi antennas. The ProxyHam is an exact example of this.

Edited by haze1434

21 minutes ago, haze1434 said:

The maximum distance I personally have managed with a simple Yagi antenna (like this) was 1 mile (1.3km).

Wi-Fi isn't really designed for the distances you are thinking about, unless you are willing to go the DIY route.

You could probably get 1-3 miles with this, I doubt any further. And I'm talking line-of-sight here, not through multiple buildings. Through buildings, you'd get a few hundred yards, not miles. This can only be mitigated by sending the signal above the buildings.

People who manage further are pretty much guaranteed to be hobbyists that have DIY'd their own Wi-Fi rigs.

It's all about frequency; Wi-Fi is too high of a frequency to travel long distances, hence suggesting using around the 800mhz range above and converting the signal on either end with an RPi / Arduino / etc connected to shorter distance Wi-Fi antennas. The ProxyHam is an exact example of this

So my best choice for now is a yagi antenna so is it best for me to use with alfa or the pineapple nano? 

Note: the network that I'm aiming to catch for now is 800-900 meters away from me.

15 minutes ago, Joe2525 said:

So my best choice for now is a yagi antenna so is it best for me to use with alfa or the pineapple nano? 

Note: the network that I'm aiming to catch for now is 800-900 meters away from me.

Is it line-of-sight, or through objects? If through buildings/trees etc, could you give us an indication of how much is between you and the Wi-Fi?

What about a pineapple drone honed in to the rooftop of the building with the wifi network you wish to sniff??

This is pretty cool, and the basis of a new evolution in wifi hacking......kudos Darren!

Use the drones cam to survey the rooftops CCTV cam positions, then simply take off for home behind the 180 deg angle view. Piece of cake.....?

Edited by r3plic4tor

13 hours ago, Joe2525 said:

Ok back to tge main question what is the best range i can get in this situation? 

Very circumstantial, based on how large the buildings are and the materials the walls/windows etc. are made from.

You're likely to be able to penetrate 2-3 of these building, but certainly not 10. You defiantly need to either;

• Get higher, so the signal travels over these buildings
  • Use a much lower frequency for the signal than Wi-Fi (LoRa, mobile network etc.)
  • Get closer.

41 minutes ago, r3plic4tor said:

What about a pineapple drone honed in to the rooftop of the building with the wifi network you wish to sniff??

This is pretty cool, and the basis of a new evolution in wifi hacking......kudos Darren!

Use the drones cam to survey the rooftops CCTV cam positions, then simply take off for home behind the 180 deg angle view. Piece of cake.....?

That is a smart one ?

I think my only choice now is getting closer

16 minutes ago, haze1434 said:

Very circumstantial, based on how large the buildings are and the materials the walls/windows etc. are made from.

You're likely to be able to penetrate 2-3 of these building, but certainly not 10. You defiantly need to either;

• Get higher, so the signal travels over these buildings
  • Use a much lower frequency for the signal than Wi-Fi (LoRa, mobile network etc.)
  • Get closer
16 minutes ago, haze1434 said:

On 7/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, Joe2525 said:

I think my only choice now is getting closer

There you go!  Here's a real world example.  I'm using Ubiquiti equipment in my house.  I can connect to my wifi anywhere on my 3 acre property, including inside the barn about 100 feet from the house, 150 feet from the ap, two walls in the way, one house wall, one barn wall.  Occasionally my phone will connect to the wifi when I'm driving down the street coming home, maybe 200 meters from the house.  There's nothing in the way, but a tree, and a wall.  I stop seeing my wifi at the end of the street, about 300 meters or so.  This is rural, no other buildings in the way, I can only see maybe a half dozen APs in the area.  In a city, you're going to have all kinds of interference from other wifi, and other 2.4ghz radios.  Signals can, and do bounce off walls, causing even more issues.  You're basically going to have to get within sight of the building you're trying to monitor, and still might have issues.

I've been toying with this idea for a while, but have yet to buy a Sonnet and so am uncertain if it would work (note the arrow directions)...

Attack Box  >  Wi-Fi connection  >  Sonnet     > > > > >     Sonnet  <  Wi-Fi Connection  <  RPi  >  Wi-Fi Connection  >  Target AP

In theory, if the Sonnet allows this correctly, you could connect over a long distance, however the throughput would be pretty slow. OK for terminal though.

Edited by haze1434

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, elkentaro said:

Why not keep it simple and use a lte mifi spot or GSM modem and have the pineapple setup a reverse ssh pipe to a server online. That way you can connect to it from anywhere...

:ohmy: Completely forgot GSM. Woods from the trees n' all that. This would be a very good idea also, yes.

I guess my above post could work in the wilderness where there was no GSM available.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, haze1434 said:

Attack Box  >  Wi-Fi connection  >  Sonnet     > > > > >     Sonnet  <  Wi-Fi Connection  <  RPi  >  Wi-Fi Connection  >  Target AP

Still would be cool to see work.  Just to say you did it ?

On 7/13/2018 at 12:40 PM, elkentaro said:

Why not keep it simple and use a lte mifi spot or GSM modem and have the pineapple setup a reverse ssh pipe to a server online.

Probably the much easier route though.  As long as you have GSM signal.

I would aggree with what others have said. 10 miles, ain't gonna happen with wifi. Custom built yagi at each end, and maybe...just maybe you'll get 2-3.
Using yagi, and 2 watt wifi card, I've got 1500 M (across the local harbour and 1 building in between on one side)

A much better route, as others have suggested, would be a small 12 volt system, in a case, with batteries, and a cellphone modem. A quick reverse ssh connection to a ssh server somewhere, and you're in bussiness :) Rig the case with a mercury emergency switch, some LUKS encryption, and you're also secured from theft and tampering :D

A small footprint system, some Kali, a modem, a yagi, and a powerfull wifi card. Should be some seriously fun hours with that project :)