Logging into browser as root

ironmike

After the setup, pineapple asks you to load the browser page, which is looking for a root pwd. Which pwd is that? The one from your Kali box or is there some other pwd? What would that be? I cannot load the bulletins when I use my Kali boxes' pwd.

Please help, Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, forgive me for being a newbie, but I don't recall inputting a pwd at all. That's part of my confusion. I downloaded the .sh file, changed the permissions on it, and ran it in a shell. After that process completes, it's when I am asked for the pwd. So, I don't recall giving it any pwds.

Even if I reinstalled it again, I don't know where I would input a pwd. Could you give me more details as to when this is done?

Thank you for your response, Scott 

6 minutes ago, ironmike said:

Could you give me more details as to when this is done? 

initial configuration is done after a firmware flash, a firmware upgrade or the first time you receive your wifi pineapple. If you have forgotten it you may re-flash the firmware and complete the initial configuration again.

Are you trying  this on an actual wifi pineapple or a raspberry pi or something else? ?

just hold the reset button on the bottom for 7 seconds and reset the firmware, youll be prompted with a setup page and the password you use at the very top is the password for the webui and ssh

Dear Just_a_User,

I've been watching Darren Kitchen's videos on how to set up the Pineapple. I don't recall anything about a firmware flash. Yes, this is a new Pineapple. Are there any videos that you recommend that cover the firmware flash, so that I can follow your directions?

Thanks much, Scott

Dear Just_a_User,

I am using a Pineapple Nano on a Kali Linux box. Is there something special to do to assign or fetch the root password? I don't recall setting a root pwd in the beginning of the setup and hence don't recall what I used. 

Do I need to reflash as other as suggesting?

Thanks, Scott

So, I read the steps needed to reflash the nano. I am confused by one issue. It says:

Next, follow these steps to access the recovery web interface and update the firmware.

• Unplug the WiFi Pineapple completely from all power sources.
  • Begin holding the RESET button on the device.
  • With the RESET button held, power on the device."

My WiFi Pineapple doesn't have any power source. The unit plugs into a USB port, and then there is that Y cord that connects to two other USB ports. So, I am unclear whether I just ignore that or am I missing something?

Thanks, Scott

1 hour ago, ironmike said:

My WiFi Pineapple doesn't have any power source. The unit plugs into a USB port, and then there is that Y cord that connects to two other USB ports. So, I am unclear whether I just ignore that or am I missing something?

Your nano power source could be a wall charger, battery bank, or pc/laptop. As you want to transfer data (firmware) to the nano you need to use the PC/Laptop as power source. The Y lead should be used to guarantee the nano is getting enough power from a laptop that maybe cant supply enough power over 1x USB port.

Hold power of while plugging the pineapple into your laptop/PC.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed these directions but I am not getting the browser page to load:

The WiFi Pineapple features a firmware recovery option which allows the user to restore the device to a factory firmware image. This procedure is performed via a special web interface.

Begin by downloading the factory firmware image for your device.

Next, follow these steps to access the recovery web interface and update the firmware.

• Unplug the WiFi Pineapple completely from all power sources.
  • Begin holding the RESET button on the device.
  • With the RESET button held, power on the device.
  • Continue holding the RESET button for 10 seconds, then release.
    • NANO: The blue LED will remain solid
    • TETRA: The yellow LED will remain solid
  • Connect the host PC to the WiFi Pineapple via the USB Ethernet Port
    • NANO: The male USB A plug
    • TETRA: The Micro USB port labeled ETH
  • From the host PC, configure a static IP address on the WiFi Pineapple facing Ethernet interface to 192.168.1.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0
    • For example, in Linux run ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up (where eth1 is the interface name of the WiFi Pineapple).
  • From the host PC, browse to http://192.168.1.1
  • Click Choose File and select the factory firmware image downloaded above.
  • Click Update Firmware.
  • This process will take several minutes. Do not interrupt the power supply while the firmware is updating. Once complete, the WiFi Pineapple will restart.
  • Reset the the WiFi Pineapple facing USB Ethernet interface back to DHCP or 172.16.42.42 with netmask 255.255.255.0

When I tried to load http://192.168.1.1/, the browser gives an error message, "Unable to load."

What am i doing wrong??

Archived