PineAP not starting using Android

Reteras

I recently received the WiFi Pineapple Nano and did the basic Setup and tested it at home once or twice. Everything seemed to work just fine: PineAP started, i was able to conect to both the Rouge AP and the management AP (on my computer that is) etc. I was even able to use WinSCP to browse the file system.

A couple of days later i wanted to make a field test and took the NANO out for a spin. I connected it to the power bank using the supplied angled USB connector and my phones charging cable to connect my phone to the NANO. I used the Connector App to enable Tethering and to connect to the Device.

But i wasnt able to start the PineAP daemon via my phone, neither on the PineAP page nor on the recon page (which is what i was trying to use).

I read that the WiFi Client mode cannot be set to wlan1, but wlan1 is the only option i get when i try to change it.

Did i overlook something? Did i manage to break something or am i just bad at using the device?

EDIT: I added the System Log as a text file

sys_log.txt

wlan1 is dedicated to pineap.  when starting pineap it puts wlan1 in monitor mode making it wlan1mon.  without that pineap will not work

6 hours ago, b0N3z said:

wlan1 is dedicated to pineap.  when starting pineap it puts wlan1 in monitor mode making it wlan1mon.  without that pineap will not work

My point is that it's not doing any of that

@Reteras if you were using USB tethering to your phone to give the pineapple internet and access the webGUI then you shouldn't be needing to use WifiClient mode. I would make sure then when you USB tether you can both give internet and access the webpage of the pineapple. I for example seem to be able to one or the other with my phone but not both so don't use it this way.

For wifi client mode the reason you only have wlan1 in the drop down is because wlan0 is dedicated to the pineapples hotspots including management AP and if you used wlan0 you would possibly get disconnected from the pineapple and be stuck out of it. So by default only wlan1 shows up.

Wlan1 can be used to give the pineapple internet and do other tasts where you are not using PineAP so it has its uses sometimes. However when mobile the real magic comes from when you plug in a 3rd usb wifi card into it and it populates wlan2. You can then use wlan2 to connect to a AP  on your phone or nearby AP for internet access while still being able to use wlan1 with PineAP.

The fact that your not able to start PineAP could be something to do with Power or maybe device storage is full, do you have a micro SD card in the nano and have it correctly formatted using the Pineapple GUI? when you got it home did it do the same when connected to a laptop?

Didi you get it working? Some charge cable are strictly charge cables. Make sure your cable supports data transfer.

5 hours ago, Bigbiz said:

Didi you get it working? Some charge cable are strictly charge cables. Make sure your cable supports data transfer.

It worked when i first got it and used the supplied Y-cable to connect it to my PC

@Reteras

On 7/3/2018 at 8:32 AM, Just_a_User said:

do you have a micro SD card in the nano and have it correctly formatted using the Pineapple GUI? when you got it home did it do the same when connected to a laptop?

9 hours ago, Reteras said:

No i installed DWall and Deauth to internal storage... I'm not getting any error messages in the logs either

if you ssh into the pineapple and run

df -h

do you see if your storage has any space left|?

Im expecting it to be full, i would always use a micro d card in my nano. running it without wont work for long unless you keep very tight control of storage.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:59 PM, Just_a_User said:

if you ssh into the pineapple and run

df -h

do you see if your storage has any space left|?

Im expecting it to be full, i would always use a micro d card in my nano. running it without wont work for long unless you keep very tight control of storage.

All dirs have space left except the /dev/root dir

18 hours ago, Reteras said:

I have just connected it to my PC for power via USB, to my phone via USB to tether and then logged on to the Managment AP on my PC to controll it... still cant get it running

do a firmware recovery https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq#collapseSix

put in a class10 micro sd card and format it using the pineapple gui on advanced page under usb.i would be surprised if that does not solve your issue.

• 5 months later...

I am experiencing a similar problem... Can't find a real answer on the forums to it and see tons of other people having the same problem.

I have a Tetra, running V2.4.2 and whenever I go to switch Pine AP daemon to enabled, it will show the pineapple icon for a moment and then go back to disabled.

If I go to Recon I am warned that Pine AP must be enabled before I can scan, I click the prompt to enable it but it disappears and when I click scan it appears again telling me Pine AP hasn't activated.

I am able to SSH to my tetra from my Macbook, phone, or Windows PC and manually perform a scan but whenever I go to use the web interface it NEVER enables Pine AP.

Archived