data recovery help

anyedie

Okay so, my girlfriends dad went to move a bunch of pictures and files off of his main computer to a spare HD, so he cut and pasted them on the new HD. Well, something or other happend and they dident make it there and he rebooted, so basically there gone. The question is how would I help him recover his data? I know that there are windows software fixes for this but all I have found pretty much suck with only the demo. Ive googled my heart out and tried to figure it out on my computer using knoppix and a few other live CD's with no luck. Can anyone help me help him recover his data?

I would love a linux way if possible.

thanks!

Okay so, my girlfriends dad went to move a bunch of pictures and files off of his main computer to a spare HD, so he cut and pasted them on the new HD. Well, something or other happend and they dident make it there and he rebooted, so basically there gone. The question is how would I help him recover his data? I know that there are windows software fixes for this but all I have found pretty much suck with only the demo. Ive googled my heart out and tried to figure it out on my computer using knoppix and a few other live CD's with no luck. Can anyone help me help him recover his data?

I would love a linux way if possible.

thanks!

if the data are important then paying 60-80 box won't be a problem...

if u decide to buy a software, go with SpinRite... it's the best!

hmm i know a few (working in schools teachers do delete a lot of important data *cough* reports *cough*) the best that ive found is to use R-studio, though its not freeware and im thinking that the trial is limited on the size of the files that you can recover being pics should be fine. Its not linux, but it is a live CD, and if u get a full version its a great thing to have in ur collection ^_^

boot the live Ubuntu (or Fluxbuntu) and try using ntfs tools to recover the files.

This is the kind of answer that I am really wanting to find more about. I acually did this and could not figure out very much, I found a data/file recovery thing and scanned my windows partition and it came up with a bunch of files like file001 through file999 and the best i could come up with was that once a file was deleted its given a name like that... Sparta, am I close to the right track? Do you know an online Ubuntu tutorial for this? thanks,

-anyedie

Ye, your on the right path. This my sound hypocritical or vain (but of course it is) but I only played with ntfsundelete once and couldn't get it to recover any files, but that's probably through me using it wrong lol. I could get it to list files, and used grep to filter the results, but I just couldn't get it to even try and recover a file to USB flash.

Here is the man page for ntfsundelete (ntfsundelete is part of the ntfstools tool set): http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsundelete.8.html

As I said, I could get it to list files, but it just wouldn't recover any files. Even the example file recovery commands wouldn't work for me lol.

Try it, if it doesn't work then either you made the same mistake as me, or it just doesn't like your hard drive (just the same as it didn't like mine).

Good luck ;)

• 6 years later...

If you used the system recovery that came on the disks that came with your laptop, then your files are gone, the point of a sys recovery is to restore your computer back to factory settings so its exactly like as it was when you got it...

Myjad Photo Data Recovery, Fully Recover photos, videos, audio files from Your PC hard drive, USB or Other Storage Device.

Edited by carterericron

If you used the system recovery that came on the disks that came with your laptop, then your files are gone, the point of a sys recovery is to restore your computer back to factory settings so its exactly like as it was when you got it...

Number 1, 7 year old thread. Number 2, there are tools to recover deleted files from disks, so long as you have not used the disk after deleting, or you end up possibly erasing data marked for deletion. Deleted files are not gone until the disk needs to write new data, and will only overwrite old files if it needs that space to do so. I use Handy Recovery, to get files off HDD's and USB thumb drives all the time. There are also tools like scalpel and int0x80 did a whole segment on how to use it, which might help.

Only posting to this dead thread for sake of contributing something, but not sure what your post was meant for. Other than it being October, and raising the dead, NEVER run a sys recover or restore point if you deleted files and expect that to get back deleted files. That would only make things worse and wipe not only the deleted files, but any other important changes, updates or existing files in the process.

Someone lock or add another tool to the thread...

R.I.P 2006...

ok heres one thats simple to use and effective. photorec. its part of the testdisk app you can sudo apt-get install testdisk to install it. and it will recover your deleted pictures. its a nice little easy to use script and has quite plenty of options, that i dont feel like listing here. there are some others that are more intense. like DFF digital forensics framework. for doing file recovery and evidence analysis and research. but for sure for now photorec will do what you want.