Hak5 Forums
hash

Is it possible to hack an elevator?

I just want to know is it possible to hack an elevator and send it to any floor i want or to change text on display from a computer?

Probly , but without permission probly illegal.

Posted (edited)

If you have access to an FEO-K1 key, you could potentially exploit the elavators 'Fire Service' mode which would land you on any floor desired. But yes, this would be illegal under Fed jurisdiction in most countries.

mugshot-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by r3plic4tor
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

there is multiples talk at defcon where they explain ways on how to do it.

this is the one I was able to find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I 

Edited by ae3erdion

Hehe.....you might short it to the basement.

They would probly have to hack in hard wired, or on a differnet network called wMAN.(WIRELESS METROPLITAN AREA NETWORK) me think cctv would be on the same type of network too.

17 hours ago, Bigbiz said:

They would probly have to hack in hard wired, or on a differnet network called wMAN.(WIRELESS METROPLITAN AREA NETWORK) me think cctv would be on the same type of network too.

*Ahem*.

Just another word for WAN.

One reasonably common practice that will get you to your destination much slower is to jump in an elevator. This will often false trip the over speed device, and result in the elevator coming to an emergency stop between floors. (the elevator actually over-speeds instantaneously since the cables stretch a bit) To get out you will usually need the services of an elevator technician at a cost of hundreds of dollars or more depending on where they have to come from and the time of day. I would not advise to try this 'hack' as far too many people do.
Also, never try to release yourself from a stopped elevator. This is one of the most common causes of fatalities in elevators. The two most common reasons are because the elevator starts to move again as someone is partway through the door opening, or as the person climbs our, they fall back into the elevator shaft below the elevator car and plunge to their death. There are other technically more complicated dangers, but it is always best to sit tight in a stopped elevator, and wait for the trained professionals to come and release you. (obviously after you have used the communication equipment to advise of your situation).