Convince me why I should buy the TETRA

Ease of use and if   you want to get into doing penetration testing its a good all in one box whilst having learned there theory of how it all works it help me learn more when I started with the 4th generation pineapple.

Well, do you have a previous generation pineapple? Or a Nano? Would help if we knew what you were planning to do with it. Fern's explanation was pretty good

Having both dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz is nice, the tetra in general extremely effective and powerful, is pretty much a one stop shop for wifi pen testing.

Why should we have to convince you?  If you want a wifi auditting device that dominates the market in its field, then there is no convincing. Be a smart consumer.

Honestly, I think the TETRA is a little outdated. It will still work fine in most situations, but it's not as powerful as some routers these days, and it's lagging behind in it's features. Hopefully Hak5 bring out a new one in the next year, maybe even hinting at support for not only 11ac but maybe a few of the other less-common ones for more adaptability to a situation. E.g. Using 802.11ah for long-range connections (limited bandwidth but lets be honest - we don't really need it when we're looking at SSIDs and MAC addresses).

802.11af may be slightly overkill though.

Slightly.

I also hope that they add a few more WiFi NICs on it too. Would be nice to have 2-3 NICs on it for bridging and stuff.

18 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Honestly, I think the TETRA is a little outdated. It will still work fine in most situations, but it's not as powerful as some routers these days, and it's lagging behind in it's features. Hopefully Hak5 bring out a new one in the next year, maybe even hinting at support for not only 11ac but maybe a few of the other less-common ones for more adaptability to a situation. E.g. Using 802.11ah for long-range connections (limited bandwidth but lets be honest - we don't really need it when we're looking at SSIDs and MAC addresses).

802.11af may be slightly overkill though.

Slightly.

I also hope that they add a few more WiFi NICs on it too. Would be nice to have 2-3 NICs on it for bridging and stuff.

...and a slot for a GPU to crack captures 4 way handshakes on the go?  ?

19 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Honestly, I think the TETRA is a little outdated. It will still work fine in most situations, but it's not as powerful as some routers these days, and it's lagging behind in it's features. <...>

Out of curiosity, not as powerful in what regard?

4 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

Out of curiosity, not as powerful in what regard?

Here's a comparation of the RT2600ac (Synology's router) vs the TETRA:

TETRA
CPU: 533 MHz
Memory: 64 MB flash
Ports: 1 WAN/LAN, 1 USB 2.0
WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5 GHz (300 Mbps)
Modes: Simultaneous dual-band

RT2600AC
CPU: 1.7 GHz dual-core
Memory: 512 MB DDR3
Ports: 1 WAN/LAN (Gigabit), 2 LAN (Gigabit), 1 WAN (Gigabit)
Other ports: 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, SD
WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5 GHz (800 Mbps/1733 Mbps)

As you can see, it falls behind in pretty much every single area. Granted, the router I compared it with is quite a powerful one, but there are more powerful ones still and it's getting to the point where the Synology router is mid-range. I could've compared it with the D-Link Taipan 3200 or something similar and it would get absolutely smashed in every area, but I think my point's been proven. ? 

5 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Here's a comparation of the RT2600ac (Synology's router) vs the TETRA:

TETRA
CPU: 533 MHz
Memory: 64 MB flash
Ports: 1 WAN/LAN, 1 USB 2.0
WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5 GHz (300 Mbps)

RT2600AC
CPU: 1.7 GHz dual-core
Memory: 512 MB DDR3
Ports: 1 WAN/LAN (Gigabit), 2 LAN (Gigabit), 1 WAN (Gigabit)
Other ports: 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, SD
WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5 GHz (800 Mbps/1733 Mbps)

As you can see, it falls behind in pretty much every single area. Granted, the router I compared it with is quite a powerful one, but there are more powerful ones still and it's getting to the point where the Synology router is mid-range. I could've compared it with the D-Link Taipan 3200 or something similar and it would get absolutely smashed in every area, but I think my point's been proven. ? 

the is whatever you want it to be to you If you want a  toyota corolla you buy you one, if you want lamborghini for performance then buy one if it wasnt for the pineapple 4th generation to play around with i probably would have gotten that gain in knowledge at the time and i only got one because of the price point which im sure there other dudes that will  be in the same small budgets yes there are better specs  and im sure the Hak5 Team takes the ieads offered in conderation   but will probably push the price up to a place which maybe out of reach for some dudes on these forums who just getting into pentesting as for for you ol powerful lamborghini driver this might be more your speed the Pwn Pro (https://store.pwnieexpress.com/product/pwn-pro/)9V9A7024.jpg

Not forgetting that usually with more  power in the device comes more power consumption. Will end up with a generator in your backpack lol. or at least vastly reduced run times when using similar batteries.

You're all missing the fact that I merely said "the TETRA is outdated in it's hardware", which it is.

In regards to software, software is just code that's an interface with the hardware. It can only be as powerful as the hardware allows. True, the TETRA doesn't need great specs to run the software, but if people are looking for a cheap hacking solution just flash Pineapple OS onto an older/cheaper router. 

As I said before, the RT2600AC is mid to high range, so comparing it to a Lambo is a bit extreme..And comparing the TETRA to a tractor is also a little extreme.

I think it's closer to comparing a turbo-charged inline-4 to a twin-turbo V6. In comparison the TT V6 has far more power (depending on the tune, ofc), better torque, but the fuel consumption will be higher (unless it's a Mercedes and then somehow it'll still be like 6L/100km). Both do the job, but the TT V6 can do it better in terms of acceleration, power, torque and top speed. Plus, luxury. Going back to the tech-terms, the RT2600AC can do everything faster, can probably crack hashes on-board and can manage tasks more efficiently.

Pardon the petrolhead likeness, everyone. Couldn't help it. ? 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived