[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.1.2

Sebkinne

Hak5 is proud to announce the release of firmware version 2.1.X for the WiFi Pineapple NANO and TETRA!

Usually we would write a longer post highlighting some of the cool new features, but I think the changelog speaks for itself this time.

- The Hak5 Development Team

Edit: A fix for a small bug inside of Recon has been fixed by pushing an update to the PineAP module. You can download the update via the Module Manager.

Changelog 2.1.2

• PineAP
    • Fixed an issue causing the Pineapple to respond to the wrong probes.
  • Recon
    • More details about encryption types and ciphers is now displayed.
    • WiFi Direct networks are now correctly identified, instead of showing a channel of 0.
    • It is now possible to add all SSIDs of a running (but paused) scan to pool.
    • Fixed an issue causing the wrong encryption type being shown.
    • Fixed an issue where iPhone hotspots would show an invalidly connected client.
    • Fixed an issue where loading recon results would only ever retrieve the latest one.
    • Fixed an issue where the live scan checkbox would become unavailable.
    • Fixed an issue where the scan duration field would turn blank.
    • Fixed an issue where logged probes would be shown on one line instead of being separated by a newline.
    • Fixed an issue where after stopping a live scan, it could not be started again without refreshing the interface.
    • Fixed an issue which caused downloaded recon results to be empty files.
  • Clients
    • Fixed an issue preventing OUI lookups being done on MAC addresses.
    • Fixed an issue where the wrong SSID would be shown.
  • Networking
    • Fixed an issue where MAC addresses would not correctly randomize or be reset, causing the wireless interfaces to disappear.
  • Module Manager
    • Modules installed onto the SD card (NANO only) are now restored after a firmware upgrade.
  • Configuration
    • Fixed an issue where the timezone setting would not persist across reboots.
  • Filters
    • Fixed an issue where MAC filters did not prevent an SSID, Probe, or Beacon Response from being logged, or executed.
  • Logging
    • Added SSID and MAC modals to PineAP results, allowing for OUI lookups and note taking.
    • Added the probe count to the downloaded PineAP.log.
    • Fixed an issue where removing duplicates from the PineAP log removed the wrong entries.
    • Fixed an issue where the reporting log would show invalid content.
  • Notes
    • There are now only two types of Notes: SSID and MAC.
  • General
    • Fixed an issue where SSID modals would show an option to add all clients to filters, even if no clients exist.
    • Other misc fixes.

Changelog 2.1.0

• Setup
    • It is now possible to configure the timezone, wireless country code, firewall rules, and filters during Setup.
    • The changelog and other important information is displayed on first setup.
  • Recon
    • There is now a live mode, allowing recon results to be streamed directly to the browser. No more waiting for a scan to complete before viewing the landscape.
    • Recon results are now much more accurate due to the smarter scanning behavior of PineAP.
    • OUI lookup has been improved and MAC addresses are verified to check if they have been randomly generated.
    • The last seen column has been added, showing when an AP or client was last seen.
  • PineAP
    • The PineAP suite has been completely re-written to be more robust and provide better results.
    • Added options to enable or disable client (dis)connection notifications.
    • An issue has been fixed where SSIDs in the PineAP pool, which contained non-ascii characters, were corrupted.
  • Clients
    • Connections and disconnections are now shown as notifications.
  • Filters
    • Fixed an issue where SSID filter modes would not persist across reboots.
    • Fixed an issue where connections to the Management network were denied.
  • Tracking
    • Fixed an issue where variables would not resolve on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.
  • Module Manager
    • Users will not be asked to confirm a destination on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.
  • Configuration
    • Users can now run a custom script on reset button press.
  • Advanced
    • Upgrades will now be able to hotfix some issues before an upgrade.
  • Networking
    • On the WiFi Pineapple TETRA it is now possible to allow SSH and webinterface access over the WAN port.
    • OUI Lookups
      • Added the ability to look up the OUI of a MAC address.
      • Added the ability to download and clear the OUI lookup file.
  • Logging
    • The PineAP log is now sortable by clicking on the column headers.
    • The PineAP log now displays the number of times a MAC has probed for an SSID.
  • Reporting
    • The reporting module has been refactored.
  • Notes
    • It is now possible to take notes on BSSIDs, SSIDs, and MAC address (via the recon modal).
  • Profiling
    • This module has been removed for the time being.
  • Help
    • Updated help text where appropriate.
    • More comprehensive debug script output.
  • General
    • LEDS can now be controlled using the led command.
    • CLI capable modules can now be controlled using the module command.
    • AutoSSH now defaults to disabled when not setup.
    • libnet0 and libnet1 are now built into the firmare (fixes issues with ettercap, reaver, etc).
    • Aircrack-ng has been updated to the latest version.
    • Various other fixes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sebkinne  @Foxtrot  @Tesla - Feel free to ignore - (all my best posts start like this haha)

Client hostname info is not logged, I used to use the status module to lookup the DHCP leases (from GUI) but that currently does not work on 2.1.0. in fact it looks like 2.1.0 doesn't use the /tmp/dhcp.leases file?

Anyway I was thinking it would be great to add associated clients hostname info to the logs or maybe even the notification if not possible in logs. Or have DHCP lease info on clients page?

EDIT - wait, it is using it... WTF i tried this and no devices showed and now they do... I dunno...  was that the PineAP patch? im going crazy i tell you... never mind... i can use Status module again now. although would be great to add to logs anyway.

Talking of logs, it looks like the remove duplicates option also filters Associations.out.

1 hour ago, TomasLife said:

I have upgraded my pineapple to firmware version 2.1.0, however, whenever I try to start PineAP it doesn't start.

I tried starting it manually via ssh, but it gives me a "segmentation fault" error.

Can someone help me?

Could you send me the output from dmesg and logread?

I've upgraded but the pineapple is very slow and grinds to a halt after about 15 minutes of use. Any idea of why the performance could be so bad on this upgrade? I would even consider switching back of not for the bugs in the old versions being even worse than this poor performance

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

Could you send me the output from dmesg and logread?

Hi @Tesla  he hit the post limit wall so cant reply yet. hes on IRC now n then but you guys are not around so much on there.  Im sure he will respond once he can post and PM again.

53 minutes ago, PablitoEmilio said:

SiteSurvey works badly with the new update it shows me 12 capture while I did not even begin to scan, Finally when I scan it does not show my handshakes or my catches nothing! and since the update.

Not really a firmware issue and more of a community module issue - best post in the official site survey thread

Hi!

I fear there is an encoding issue with the SSID pool. This is a pineapple without any modules or big changes made to it, using the ssid capture method. After a while, it captures a lot of SSID's that are displayed like this:

image.png.05838aaa1a0cc37a91ba9e8706f4fe6d.png

I'm currently using the new firmware of this current update. Does anybody understand what is happening or know a fix?

On 6/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, sebaz said:

Hi!

I fear there is an encoding issue with the SSID pool. This is a pineapple without any modules or big changes made to it, using the ssid capture method. After a while, it captures a lot of SSID's that are displayed like this:

image.png.05838aaa1a0cc37a91ba9e8706f4fe6d.png

I'm currently using the new firmware of this current update. Does anybody understand what is happening or know a fix?

Im having kind of a similar problem.  It shows 400+ ssids in the pool on the dashboard, but when you go to the pineap tab it has nothing in the pool.  Latest firmware with the update from the module manager.

36 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

Im having kind of a similar problem.  It shows 400+ ssids in the pool on the dashboard, but when you go to the pineap tab it has nothing in the pool.  Latest firmware with the update from the module manager.

I kind if had similar with this, maybe you can try to manually add and see if it kills the pool display.

Archived