[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.1.2

Sebkinne

Hak5 is proud to announce the release of firmware version 2.1.X for the WiFi Pineapple NANO and TETRA!

Usually we would write a longer post highlighting some of the cool new features, but I think the changelog speaks for itself this time.

- The Hak5 Development Team

Edit: A fix for a small bug inside of Recon has been fixed by pushing an update to the PineAP module. You can download the update via the Module Manager.

Changelog 2.1.2

• PineAP
    • Fixed an issue causing the Pineapple to respond to the wrong probes.
  • Recon
    • More details about encryption types and ciphers is now displayed.
    • WiFi Direct networks are now correctly identified, instead of showing a channel of 0.
    • It is now possible to add all SSIDs of a running (but paused) scan to pool.
    • Fixed an issue causing the wrong encryption type being shown.
    • Fixed an issue where iPhone hotspots would show an invalidly connected client.
    • Fixed an issue where loading recon results would only ever retrieve the latest one.
    • Fixed an issue where the live scan checkbox would become unavailable.
    • Fixed an issue where the scan duration field would turn blank.
    • Fixed an issue where logged probes would be shown on one line instead of being separated by a newline.
    • Fixed an issue where after stopping a live scan, it could not be started again without refreshing the interface.
    • Fixed an issue which caused downloaded recon results to be empty files.
  • Clients
    • Fixed an issue preventing OUI lookups being done on MAC addresses.
    • Fixed an issue where the wrong SSID would be shown.
  • Networking
    • Fixed an issue where MAC addresses would not correctly randomize or be reset, causing the wireless interfaces to disappear.
  • Module Manager
    • Modules installed onto the SD card (NANO only) are now restored after a firmware upgrade.
  • Configuration
    • Fixed an issue where the timezone setting would not persist across reboots.
  • Filters
    • Fixed an issue where MAC filters did not prevent an SSID, Probe, or Beacon Response from being logged, or executed.
  • Logging
    • Added SSID and MAC modals to PineAP results, allowing for OUI lookups and note taking.
    • Added the probe count to the downloaded PineAP.log.
    • Fixed an issue where removing duplicates from the PineAP log removed the wrong entries.
    • Fixed an issue where the reporting log would show invalid content.
  • Notes
    • There are now only two types of Notes: SSID and MAC.
  • General
    • Fixed an issue where SSID modals would show an option to add all clients to filters, even if no clients exist.
    • Other misc fixes.

Changelog 2.1.0

• Setup
    • It is now possible to configure the timezone, wireless country code, firewall rules, and filters during Setup.
    • The changelog and other important information is displayed on first setup.
  • Recon
    • There is now a live mode, allowing recon results to be streamed directly to the browser. No more waiting for a scan to complete before viewing the landscape.
    • Recon results are now much more accurate due to the smarter scanning behavior of PineAP.
    • OUI lookup has been improved and MAC addresses are verified to check if they have been randomly generated.
    • The last seen column has been added, showing when an AP or client was last seen.
  • PineAP
    • The PineAP suite has been completely re-written to be more robust and provide better results.
    • Added options to enable or disable client (dis)connection notifications.
    • An issue has been fixed where SSIDs in the PineAP pool, which contained non-ascii characters, were corrupted.
  • Clients
    • Connections and disconnections are now shown as notifications.
  • Filters
    • Fixed an issue where SSID filter modes would not persist across reboots.
    • Fixed an issue where connections to the Management network were denied.
  • Tracking
    • Fixed an issue where variables would not resolve on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.
  • Module Manager
    • Users will not be asked to confirm a destination on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.
  • Configuration
    • Users can now run a custom script on reset button press.
  • Advanced
    • Upgrades will now be able to hotfix some issues before an upgrade.
  • Networking
    • On the WiFi Pineapple TETRA it is now possible to allow SSH and webinterface access over the WAN port.
    • OUI Lookups
      • Added the ability to look up the OUI of a MAC address.
      • Added the ability to download and clear the OUI lookup file.
  • Logging
    • The PineAP log is now sortable by clicking on the column headers.
    • The PineAP log now displays the number of times a MAC has probed for an SSID.
  • Reporting
    • The reporting module has been refactored.
  • Notes
    • It is now possible to take notes on BSSIDs, SSIDs, and MAC address (via the recon modal).
  • Profiling
    • This module has been removed for the time being.
  • Help
    • Updated help text where appropriate.
    • More comprehensive debug script output.
  • General
    • LEDS can now be controlled using the led command.
    • CLI capable modules can now be controlled using the module command.
    • AutoSSH now defaults to disabled when not setup.
    • libnet0 and libnet1 are now built into the firmare (fixes issues with ettercap, reaver, etc).
    • Aircrack-ng has been updated to the latest version.
    • Various other fixes.

@Foxtrot Did you guys change what the LEDs are suppose to be on the new firmware update?  for some reason, and I could be wrong, but I thought red was wlan1mon, blue was wlan0, and yellow eth0.  For some reason blue is wlan1mon, yellow is wlan0 and red is eth0.  After noticing this I downloaded the LED Module and tried to change them with no luck.

10 hours ago, b0N3z said:

@Foxtrot Did you guys change what the LEDs are suppose to be on the new firmware update?  for some reason, and I could be wrong, but I thought red was wlan1mon, blue was wlan0, and yellow eth0.  For some reason blue is wlan1mon, yellow is wlan0 and red is eth0.  After noticing this I downloaded the LED Module and tried to change them with no luck.

Interesting behavior, we didn't change that, and I haven't seen that elsewhere. Could you share your /etc/config/system file?

Also, LED Controller is out of date and needs updating. I'll do that this afternoon.

here is the system file from /etc/config and while I read the file, my pineapple has no blue light on.  neither radio is in monitor mode and the only led is yellow and red. As soon as I unplug the RJ45 cable the red light goes off.  lol this is weird. 

config system
	option hostname 'Pineapple'
	option timezone ''\''GMT+6'\'''

config timeserver 'ntp'
	list server '0.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '1.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '2.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '3.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	option enabled '1'
	option enable_server '0'

config led 'led_eth0'
	option name 'ETH0'
	option sysfs 'tetra:yellow'
	option mode 'link tx rx'
	option dev 'wlan0'
	option default '0'
	option trigger 'netdev'

config led 'led_wlan0'
	option name 'WLAN0'
	option sysfs 'tetra:blue'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option mode 'link tx rx'
	option dev 'wlan1mon'

config led 'led_wlan1mon'
	option name 'WLAN1MON'
	option sysfs 'tetra:red'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option mode 'link tx rx'
	option dev 'eth0'

the only thing I notice is the "option dev" which changes it and I did not put that in.  IDK if the LED module could have when I installed.  Either way Im going to do a firmware recovery later tonight or tomorrow and Ill let you know what I found out, unless you know.

I'm not sure which bug you've fixed but with the latest firmware plus the live update from the modules page my Tetra finally appears stable. It used to reboot every 5 or 6 hours but now i'm getting an uptime of 3 1/2 days and counting!

Well done guys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Newb here trying to get my Pineapple Tetra up and running.  I've had trouble getting it to work for me in the past, I think partially b/c I've been trying to set it up on a Mac, but more likely due to my still very beginner command line, Linux, and pentesting skills as a whole.

I followed the upgrade procedure, with what I thought was total accuracy, and am worried that I may have bricked the device.  Now whenever I plug it in I'll get Red/Yellow LED's showing, then it goes completely dark, then returns with the flashing Blue LED consistently.  

Can any one give me some tips on where to go from the point I am at now...flashing Blue LED, 2017 12" Macbook [macOS 10.13.4 & Windows 10], and child-like technical troubleshooting skills?

Yeah its a weird one, thank you for looking at it. i will know what it is next time ? so it looks like its possibly an XBOX one controller, but I don't have one or access to one so cant confirm.

Source info https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-with-phantom-wifi-inssider.15010/  Seems to be a form of Wifi Direct called "XBOX Wireless" MS always has the best names lol

Love the new features, but after upgrading to 2.1.0 the "Capture SSIDs to Pool" function in pineap stopped working. SSID's i manually add is broadcasted, but nothing is captured. Everything else seems to work properly. I'we updated the module in module manager, and also tried factory reset.

6 minutes ago, TroubleMaker said:

I'm still getting no outputs from scanning

nothing from Recon scan? Its working for me, you sure you have traffic to look at? Did you try airodump-ng or horst from terminal?

10 minutes ago, TroubleMaker said:

Is that new from this update? If not, firmware recovery will not work.

No it was there before the last update - I would do a firmware recovery as its a full re-flash from a uboot recovery stage - you power on while holding the reset button etc etc see here and follow instructions for firmware recovery https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq

1 minute ago, TroubleMaker said:

For some kind of dumb reason, my computer freezes if I plug the Pineapple in recovery mode.

When you power on with the reset button held the tetra defaults to 192.168.1.1 so maybe its conflicting with router?

Hi everyone,

We have just released firmware v2.1.2 with a whole bunch of bugfixes. Please see the first post of this thread for more details.

Edit: We originally released 2.1.1 but because of a bug decided to pull it and release 2.1.2 in it's place. Thanks @Just_a_User for the report.

2.1.1 is working good, i've got clients connecting again..... now to try 2.1.2....

Update:  I am finding that PineAP has a tendency to freeze unless it is restarted, the dashboard will work normally except for the SSID count will not show. Also on the PineAP page the SSID pool will remain blank.

After updating to 2.1.2 PineAP will not do Beacon Responses and Associations. Nothing will be added to the SSID Pool unless I manually add it. Also, If I am running PineAP, Evil Portal and decide to run a scan, there is a 40-50% chance the pineapple crashes and reboots, there could be something else causing this, but this is the only way I've been able to recreate it, in previous firmware versions I have been able to use those 3 services without any hitches.

The problem persists if I do a Factory Reset, I am currently attempting a firmware recovery.

34 minutes ago, Baron said:

PineAP will not do Beacon Responses and Associations. Nothing will be added to the SSID Pool unless I manually add it

Thats not right im on same firmware and it seems to be working nice for me including Evilportal. I would be tempted to do a firmware recovery and upgrade again for a fresh start.

Archived