Embarrassing Client Speeds

So I'm playing with my pineapple and I can't manage to get even acceptable speeds for clients. 

My setup: 

My AC router provides my AC Alfa AWUS036ACH 5ghz wifi. It's then tunneled through a VPN and the VPN "ethernet" connection is shared to the pineapple via the USB1 port. Before my vpn I have ~200 down 5up. After connecting to the VPN i usually hoover around 100 down 5up but when I'm a client of the pineapple I'm getting speeds closer to 5down .5up. 

I just tried making the connection path less complicated by sharing my connection instead of the vpn portion without any noticeable change so I'm really not sure where to continue my troubleshoot. My normal connections and VPN are functioning fine until they're pineappled clients at which point speeds PLUMMET. Any tips? 

The TETRA is 802.11a/b/g/n, getting speeds of up to 300 Mbps over WiFi.

When you say 5/5 are you sure you didn't misread for 5 MBps, not 5 Mbps? You can calculate MBps by doing Mbps / 8.

E.g. 300 Mbps (megabits per second) / 8 = 37.5 MBps (megabytes per second)

It's also possible that the Pineapple has locked itself down in a specific 802.11 mode (maybe you can do this via the GUI?), like 802.11a/b/g and not 802.11n, meaning your caps are probably around 11-54 Mbps, and spread out over a few clients you could easily be looking at 5Mbps, or less.

Sorry, I can't be much more help as I don't actually own a Pineapple, just throwing ideas out there ? 

I looked into this in the past and can agree very occasionally my clients have much less speed than the tetra itself - but not all the time - I test tetra speeds using https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli   on the tetra you need to install python-yaml then it will run. Make sure you use the --no-pre-allocate option.

My Tetra consistently gets my current VPN max speed 10.96Mbit/s Down and 5.51 Mbit/s up. Testing a couple of clients (https://speedof.me) I have seen as bad as  0.53 Mbit/s down and 1.1Mbit/s up - but most of the time I see the same as the TETRA/VPN speeds on my test clients.

This is while sharing internet through laptop to router in similar configuration as OP..Test devices <2m away from Tetra.  Maybe try the same and see what you get.

Archived