[RC Release] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.1.0-RC2

Sebkinne

Hey everyone,

Over the past couple of months we have been working hard on the next WiFi Pineapple Firmware. This time however we decided to give the community a peek into the latest and greatest.

We would love to get feedback from the you all on this release and hopefully iron out any bugs that you find. Just leave any feedback in this thread :)

Remember: This is an RC release. It might eat your pet, drink your coffee, or start a VIM vs EMACS war. Flash this at your own risk.

Known Issues:

• Deauthenticating multiple clients from within Recon may crash PineAP.
  • There are still referenes to profiling which are yet to be removed.
  • The Help module has not yet been updated for the new firmware version.
  • The notes module currently doesn't allow removal of notes.

Changelog:

• Setup
    • It is now possible to configure the timezone, wireless country code, firewall rules, and filters during Setup.
    • The changelog and other important information is displayed on first setup.
  • Recon
    • There is now a live mode, allowing recon results to be streamed directly to the browser. No more waiting for a scan to complete before viewing the landscape.
    • Recon results are now much more accurate due to the smarter scanning behavior of PineAP.
    • OUI lookup has been improved and MAC addresses are verified to check if they have been randomly generated.
    • The last seen column has been added, showing when an AP or client was last seen.
  • PineAP
    • The PineAP suite has been completely re-written to be more robust and provide better results.
    • Added options to enable or disable client (dis)connection notifications.
  • Clients
    • Connections and disconnections are now shown as notifications.
  • Filters
    • Fixed an issue where SSID filter modes would not persist across reboots.
    • Fixed an issue where connections to the Management network were denied.
  • Tracking
    • Fixed an issue where variables would not resolve on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.
  • Module Manager
    • Users will not be asked to confirm a destination on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA.
  • Configuration
    • Users can now run a custom script on reset button press.
  • Advanced
    • Upgrades will now be able to hotfix some issues before an upgrade.
  • Networking
    • On the WiFi Pineapple TETRA it is now possible to allow SSH and webinterface access over the WAN port.
    • OUI Lookups
      • Added the ability to look up the OUI of a MAC address.
      • Added the ability to download and clear the OUI lookup file.
  • Reporting
    • The reporting module has been refactored.
  • Notes
    • It is now possible to take notes on BSSIDs, SSIDs, and MAC address (via the recon modal)
  • Profiling
    • This module has been removed for the time being.
  • Help
    • Updated help text where appropriate.
    • More comprehensive debug script output.
  • General
    • LEDS can now be controlled using the led command.
    • CLI capable modules can now be controlled using the module command.
    • AutoSSH now defaults to disabled when not setup.
    • libnet0 and libnet1 are now built into the firmare (fixes issues with ettercap, reaver, etc).
    • Aircrack-ng has been updated to the latest version.
    • Various other fixes.

Flashing Instructions:

• Download the upgrade bin from below
  • Verify it's checksum
  • SCP it to your WiFi Pineapple's /tmp/ directory
  • Execute "sysupgrade -n /tmp/nano-2.1.0-rc2.bin"
  • Wait for the upgrade to complete and follow the usual setup instructions

Download: https://storage.googleapis.com/wifipineapple/nano-2.1.0-rc2.bin
Sha256sum: 6b69a92cb39c15e6d74cb14ecafffb4d67c5ccc9da1041f2c586116650d5a0f8

@Sebkinne  Thanks for the new RC , much appreciated. Some quick notes below, will do some more testing tomorrow.

Basic flash / install / setup all works.

Modules install OK from manage modules

ngrep fails to install dependencies due to opkg being unable to find package in repo

root@Pineapple:~# /bin/sh /pineapple/modules/ngrep/scripts/dependencies.sh install sd
Downloading https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_pineapple.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_base.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_packages.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/management/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_management.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/routing/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_routing.
Unknown package 'ngrep'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ngrep.

Live view on recon looks good, in Firefox-ESR ( 52.6.0esr-2+b1 ) last seen is reported as "at NaN-aN-aN aN:aN" in Chromium ( 62.0.3202.89-1 ) the time shows correctly

Live view you can not click on Networks or Clients when scan is running

On recon when stopping the scan then starting again no results are shown

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at ws://172.16.42.1:1337/

On re-enabling PineAP after this load jumps following above

Mem: 59648K used, 1472K free, 16K shrd, 1184K buff, 4024K cached
CPU:   2% usr  82% sys  12% nic   0% idle   0% io   0% irq   1% sirq
Load average: 14.20 9.66 4.98 13/78 7948
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ %CPU COMMAND
 7262     1 root     S    27296  45%  25% /usr/sbin/pineapd /tmp/pineap.conf

16 minutes ago, apjone said:

@Sebkinne  Thanks for the new RC , much appreciated. Some quick notes below, will do some more testing tomorrow.

Basic flash / install / setup all works.

Modules install OK from manage modules

ngrep fails to install dependencies due to opkg being unable to find package in repo

root@Pineapple:~# /bin/sh /pineapple/modules/ngrep/scripts/dependencies.sh install sd
Downloading https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_pineapple.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_base.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_packages.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/management/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_management.
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/routing/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_routing.
Unknown package 'ngrep'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ngrep.

Live view on recon looks good, in Firefox-ESR ( 52.6.0esr-2+b1 ) last seen is reported as "at NaN-aN-aN aN:aN" in Chromium ( 62.0.3202.89-1 ) the time shows correctly

Live view you can not click on Networks or Clients when scan is running

On recon when stopping the scan then starting again no results are shown

Firefox cant establish a connection to the server at ws://172.16.42.1:1337/

On re-enabling PineAP after this load jumps following above

Mem: 59648K used, 1472K free, 16K shrd, 1184K buff, 4024K cached
CPU:   2% usr  82% sys  12% nic   0% idle   0% io   0% irq   1% sirq
Load average: 14.20 9.66 4.98 13/78 7948
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ %CPU COMMAND
 7262     1 root     S    27296  45%  25% /usr/sbin/pineapd /tmp/pineap.conf

Thanks for the reply! The WebSocket errors in the console are to be expected. Live Recon is currently accomplished via a Python script that streams results from the log database to the web interface over a WebSocket. Python is relatively slow (especially on the nano) so until the python program starts the web interface will fail to connect. The new Pinesniffer creates a higher load because of some additional functionality we added. We're still in the process of optimizing the new PineAP suite. We're working on fixing the date display bug. It's a result of Firefox not accepting all the same date formats as Google Chrome. As for ngrep, I don't know off the top of my head but we'll check it out and get back to you.

After doing a continuous scan for about 3 mins, then stopping the scan. The nano is very sluggish getting from module to module (PineAP, Dashboard, etc).  I have had to reboot the pineapple after each time to get it back again.

1 hour ago, b0N3z said:

After doing a continuous scan for about 3 mins, then stopping the scan. The nano is very sluggish getting from module to module (PineAP, Dashboard, etc).  I have had to reboot the pineapple after each time to get it back again.

Thanks @b0N3z ! Could you generate a debug file using the help module and send it to me?

@Tesla  The problem has been solved, I was not providing enough power.  But the Mac OUI download never finishes and does not show a vendor at all. I get modules to load and the bulletins.   this is on both devices also. Chrome and Firefox.  Do you need a debug for that?

debug.log

3 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

the Mac OUI download never finishes and does not show a vendor at all

Glad to hear you fixed your first issue! The debug file won't give us any useful info for debugging the OUI feature but I'll try to see if I can reproduce your bug. Most times when it doesn't work you can fix it by clearing the browser cache (including local storage). Thanks for the update!

13 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

It would, but the NANO doesn't have enough space for that.

I have run it on the nano before, maybe i miss something. I used when trying Zyllas HSTS bypass thing to speed things up.

22 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

I have run it on the nano before, maybe i miss something. I used when trying Zyllas HSTS bypass thing to speed things up.

We might offer it on the SD card in the future, but right now the issues outweigh the benefits. 

47 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Would a "python -m compileall'   Help with that?

I tried compiling the Recon++ python script along with all the python libraries. Even if we had space (which we don't as @Sebkinne mentioned) on the nano it doesn't decrease that start time by all that much.

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I tried compiling the Recon++ python script along with all the python libraries. Even if we had space (which we don't as @Sebkinne mentioned) on the nano it doesn't decrease that start time by all that much.

fair enough, worth a try.

Just noticed the notifications for connected clients for PineAp, very nice.  Also the fact the beacon response interval and broadcast ssid pool options on PineAP are now persistent

?

Also im having a problem with continuous scans on the nano. I have my nano connected to the anker battery that comes with the tactical kit and my phone wired to the nano with usb tethering enabled.  The nano will do a regular 30sec, 1min, etc scan, but never displays anything for continuous. I let it run for 2mins with no results. I've rebooted twice with the same results. 

Is the nano not getting enough power?  When my phone is wired to the nano it shows my phone is charging. Is it pulling power that should be going to the nano?

Next lol, sorry I'm seeing this as I'm testing right meow. 

After starting a continuous scan and then moving to a different module (i.e. dashboard) and then going back to recon, the scan continues but when stopped it shows a new blank option under scan duration. A blank option. 

Screenshot_20180504-190204.png

b0N3z -

Thank you for the detailed feedback! We have some ideas on why the issues you're experiencing are occurring. If you would like to help debug the issue with not receiving any scan results during Live mode further, could you check if you have a python process running on the NANO during the scan? Does it work on other browsers (namely, Chrome on the desktop)?

Thanks again,
Foxtrot

Sounds good! Nano may be slow and low on storage but it makes up for it in size and looks!!!!

Hey everyone,

We just released firmware 2.1.0-RC2 with a lot of fixes and a couple of new features. Please test as much as you can, we really want the 2.1.0 release to be as stable as possible.

Download links and changelog can be found in the original post.

Hi folks,

Just wondering if a future version of the firmware will support hidden ssid?
I manually placed my ssid and password in the etc/config/wireless file.
Unfortunately that didn't work.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers

52 minutes ago, cheeto said:

Hi folks,

Just wondering if a future version of the firmware will support hidden ssid?
I manually placed my ssid and password in the etc/config/wireless file.
Unfortunately that didn't work.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers

Do you mean for the Management AP and Open AP, or client mode?

If you mean the former, this is already available in Networking module.

Hey Foxtrot.

I'm referring to client mode.   The network module does not allow you to manually enter an ssid.  Instead we have to scan and select from the drop down menu.    ( I'm trying to feed my nano internet from a hidden ssid.)

Thanks

Archived