Windows XP on a Mac Mini?

Nerd42

I'm wanting to find out whether it's possible to put Windows XP on a mac mini and have it run with no problems, possibly using Boot Camp. The only reason I'm thinking of doing this is because this project needs to be a really small yet cheap computer and needs to run specific windows-only software. As far as I know, there is no close competitor to the mac mini in terms of size/cost, since the smallest thing I have heard of in the PC world is about twice the size of the mac mini.

If I got Windows XP on there, would it run at all? Would it run reasonably fast? Would it still be able to watch DVDs or plug in USB devices and stuff? Would there be hardware/software/driver compatibility issues and if so, how could they be resolved? Has anyone ever tried this before?

The only reason I'm thinking of doing this is because this project needs to be a really small yet cheap computer and needs to run specific windows-only software. As far as I know, there is no close competitor to the mac mini in terms of size/cost, since the smallest thing I have heard of in the PC world is about twice the size of the mac mini.

*cough*Nano-ITX*cough*

12x12cm everything integrated. Kevin Rose actually managed to get a hold of a pre-production version, and modded a Mac Mini to house the Nano-ITX. He had to shave off a bit from the heatsink, but it fit.

Price-wise I think they're pretty much level with the Mac Mini. If price is the main issue, go with the 17x17cm Mini-ITX which can be had for under 100 dollars.

Buy a Mac Mini and buy Parralles, then you can run your Windows native apps in OSX. Much easier.

Yeah, if it were for me, that's what I'd do. However, it has to be "Stupid People Compatible" I will definately check out those other computer models that have been recommended here. Thanks - hak5 rox!! :)

Yeah, if it were for me, that's what I'd do. However, it has to be "Stupid People Compatible" I will definately check out those other computer models that have been recommended here. Thanks - hak5 rox!! :)

If it's for stupid people just run MAC OS on it, that's the stupid peoples OS ;)

*cough*Nano-ITX*cough*

12x12cm everything integrated. Kevin Rose actually managed to get a hold of a pre-production version, and modded a Mac Mini to house the Nano-ITX. He had to shave off a bit from the heatsink, but it fit.

Price-wise I think they're pretty much level with the Mac Mini. If price is the main issue, go with the 17x17cm Mini-ITX which can be had for under 100 dollars.

Thanks for the tip ... (and that is not sarcasm) I do know how to use google but it looks like those are just motherboards - not computers. I saw one on sale for about $300 and so we *might* be able to custom-build something but my boss really wants to go with a computer that somebody else built and comes with a warrantee and support.

Also, it has to fit in a very small space, it has to play DVDs and run Windows (my boss says he won't go with anything but Windows) and it has to be "Stupid People Compatible" meaning no Virtual PC type tricks to get it to work, no Linux and just generally, your grandmother has to be able to use it without calling you on the phone every five minutes asking "What does this button do?"

If I'm going to go with something other than the mac mini, it has to fulfill these same requirements (that I think the mac mini fulfills *IF* it will run Windows) and be the same price or cheaper / better in some signifigant, worth-cutting-into-our-profit-margin way.

Also, I think I failed to specify that the thing needs to be able to play DVDs. I'm looking at setting up and selling a large number of these computers if I can get a definate solution together that fits in this little box we've kind of built around the idea. (as you can prolly tell, I'm stuck in a pretty small little "can't do this, can't do that" kind of box here)

What does this software do? Perhaps there is an open source (or mac) equivalent.

that's always good :) I think I'm gonna try and talk my boss into at least *trying* the Mac OS - but if I do, I have no experience using it so we could have problems

Did your google session extend to these guys?

http://www.hushtechnologies.net/

Full machines roughly the size of a DVD player. Contains a harddisk and cd/dvd drive, and doesn't need a fan. They use a Mini-ITX, so it's not as small as can be, but you've got all your other bases covered I'd reckon.

Dell do Optiplex 745's in tiny cases. Not quite as tiny as a mac mini but still small enough to loose under a pile of paper on your desk. Starts from around $600, but if you can find one in a Dell factory outlet you should be able to knock a few $$'s off of the price. Buying from Europe might be unwise right now as the USD seems to be having a few buoyancy issues of late.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into those suggestions. The Dell computer looks like it's too big (in size) and the ebuyer site seems to be having "technical difficulties"

when I said this needs to be a whole computer, I meant a whole computer box - i can (and would rather) get mouse, keyboard, screen and speakers seperately