Smartwatch hacking

Dave-ee Jones

Anyone had any experience doing a bit of smartwatch hacking?

There are lots of possibilities to what a smartwatch could be useful for, e.g.:

1. Network Scanning on the go (assuming the watch had WiFi)
    1. This would mean I could just look at my watch, hit 'Scan' and start scanning the network as I'm doing something else, not needing to hold a phone or anything like that.
    2. More inconspicuous.
    3. Could just start a service on your phone and grab data from your phone, making your phone do all the hard work while you monitor it on your watch. Harder, but makes more sense.
  2. Bluetooth mouse/keyboard
    1. Would be very nice to be able to pair my watch with a USB dongle and then plug the dongle into a PC and have it automatically act as a bluetooth mouse without any client-side programs to handle input - just like a normal bluetooth mouse/keyboard (could be achieved by spoofing VID/PIDs)

These are just 2 examples, but I think they would make a very nice touch to my EDC.

Looking into creating apps for the smartwatch now.

For those wondering, it's probably the worst one to develop for - a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. No where near as easy to hack as Wear OS ? 

4 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:
  1. Network Scanning on the go (assuming the watch had WiFi)
    1. This would mean I could just look at my watch, hit 'Scan' and start scanning the network as I'm doing something else, not needing to hold a phone or anything like that.
    2. More inconspicuous.
    3. Could just start a service on your phone and grab data from your phone, making your phone do all the hard work while you monitor it on your watch. Harder, but makes more sense.

Already done this;

• RPi with Parrot / Kali installed, in a backpack / pocket.
  • Install Raspberry SSH on your phone.
  • Raspberry SSH works with Android smart watches, so you'll get any created buttons show up on your watch.
  • Buttons = Send any command to the RPi. Create a button to start a BASh script.
  • Profit.

17 hours ago, haze1434 said:

Already done this;

• RPi with Parrot / Kali installed, in a backpack / pocket.
  • Install Raspberry SSH on your phone.
  • Raspberry SSH works with Android smart watches, so you'll get any created buttons show up on your watch.
  • Buttons = Send any command to the RPi. Create a button to start a BASh script.
  • Profit.

You forget - Tizen OS, not Wear OS. ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, joyce_mor said:

Is that even possible? I don't think it is appropriate to do that. 

Under UK law (and likely most other places), if you purchase a device and it is owned by you, you can do what you like with it, including hacking it.

Hacking other people's devices without written permission is inappropriate. Hacking your own devices is fine (and fun).

• 3 weeks later...

Could you imagine the heat that watch would generate if it had its own wifi. I dont use smart watches so i have no clue if they do i just assume they connect to things via blue tooth. but if you dont mind something bulky on your wrist that had something similar  to a node mcu or some of the other esp boards it would make a interesting wrist deauther. 

Edited by Alt3ma