Jump to content

Problem with Fern WFI cracker


Bamse
 Share

Recommended Posts

What version of kali are you running?  More than likely a driver issue.  The AWUS036ACH supports monitor and injection but from reports on other forums there is a lot of driver issues.  I personally have not used the adapter, but have seen people report the kali default driver does not work and requires updating.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bamse said:

i am using AWUS036ACH

11 hours ago, trapman16 said:

What version of kali are you running?  More than likely a driver issue.  The AWUS036ACH supports monitor and injection but from reports on other forums there is a lot of driver issues.  I personally have not used the adapter, but have seen people report the kali default driver does not work and requires updating.  

6 hours ago, Bamse said:

I am using kali linux 2018

50 minutes ago, trapman16 said:

I would do a google search to find some good info on updating the driver to hopefully resolve your problem with the adapter.  Several good sources can be found.

The amount of times I've dealt with posts about the ACH model in the past week is just silly..

So I happen to have this model at home, and I can only reliably use it with a Windows machine. Kali and other Linux-based machines struggle to even see this adapter - and there's a lot of driver magickery to get it working. There's a few tutorials out there for standalone Kali machines (easiest to get working on), but if you've got a setup even slightly different to theirs you'll struggle. I did.

See what you can get from the tutorials, but just keep in mind that the more you mess with the drivers the more likely it is not going to work. Best to keep it as clean and simple as possible, otherwise you'll have issues, even if you do get it to see the adapter. E.g. won't inject packets correctly, might drop in and out occasionally (flakey connection), might not think it has monitor mode etc.

Use the monitor mode + packet injection driver on Github found here:

https://github.com/astsam/rtl8812au

That should work provided you follow his steps on a standalone Kali box (or potentially VM).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Is it easier to install?

Not sure what you mean by install, sorry. What OS? I use Kali/Parrot for pentesting and both are just 'plug'n'play' with the Alfa cards.

Just plug it in and use lsusb / ifconfig to confirm it's there and it's designation (usually wlan1).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, haze1434 said:

Not sure what you mean by install, sorry. What OS? I use Kali/Parrot for pentesting and both are just 'plug'n'play' with the Alfa cards.

Just plug it in and use lsusb / ifconfig to confirm it's there and it's designation (usually wlan1).

So i don't have to install any drivers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bamse said:

So i don't have to install any drivers?

You shouldn't need to with most, if not all, Linux distros. Certainly Kali, Parrot, Raspbian, Debian and Mint all recognise the AWUS036H as soon as it's plugged in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bamse said:

BUMP

Whut you bumpin'?

The problem with the AWUS036H is that it's super old, and doesn't even support 802.11n (LIKE, C'MON) and has a maximum speed of 54Mbps. That's less than 7MBps. Horrific.
(Still faster than my internet speed though)

The AWUS036ACH hits speeds of up to 1200Mbps, which is 150MBps. One of the fastest cards on the market at the moment, I would think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 4/18/2018 at 7:16 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

So I happen to have this model at home, and I can only reliably use it with a Windows machine. Kali and other Linux-based machines struggle to even see this adapter - and there's a lot of driver magickery to get it working.

I see this a lot, and several popular programs have issues with the rtl8812au chipset.   

 

I prefer the AWUS036NH if you don't need 5 GHz.  Works right out of the box with kali and good support.  Never have had to load a modified driver for it. 

But I know, it doesn't support 5 GHz....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2018 at 10:48 PM, trapman16 said:

But I know, it doesn't support 5 GHz....

I like 5 GHz because of the superior speeds, but realistically if you're pentesting a WiFi network you don't really need the speed, just the reliability and a decent connection. 100Mbps would be fine. I like the idea of having a phone with an in-built Nethunter-capable WiFi adapter but I don't think there are many like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 8:22 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

I like 5 GHz because of the superior speeds, but realistically if you're pentesting a WiFi network you don't really need the speed, just the reliability and a decent connection. 100Mbps would be fine. I like the idea of having a phone with an in-built Nethunter-capable WiFi adapter but I don't think there are many like that.

Agreed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2018 at 10:23 AM, Bamse said:

I am having a problem with fern wifi cracker. 
The problem is an error message i am getting when selecting a wifi card 

Here is a picture of the error message
https://imgur.com/a/OXgcY
 

Is this a VM? or are you running a machine with a native os? Also, have you made sure that your WLAN0 adapter can sniff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whats the output of

 airmon--ng

Ifconfig

Iwconfig

Virtualmachines sometimes need to be setup to

accept external wifi cards

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...