AWUS036H

Bamse

After a super quick Google ("AWUS036H packet injection") there are some that say they have issues with it and others that say it works straight out of the box.

It is a very old card, but still considered one of the most reliable out there. If you have one lying around, try it - if you're planning on buying one, don't. Probably get something a bit newer that at least supports N. I've got an AWUS036CH but it's drivers are quite finicky with Linux (Windows is plug and play), but it supports AC which means faster WiFi, and I don't need to use it for Linux much (could just get some cheap WiFi adapter that does packet injection).

A 10 second Google search is all it takes :)
Not saying we don't like questions, of course :)

13 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

After a super quick Google ("AWUS036H packet injection") there are some that say they have issues with it and others that say it works straight out of the box.

It is a very old card, but still considered one of the most reliable out there. If you have one lying around, try it - if you're planning on buying one, don't. Probably get something a bit newer that at least supports N. I've got an AWUS036CH but it's drivers are quite finicky with Linux (Windows is plug and play), but it supports AC which means faster WiFi, and I don't need to use it for Linux much (could just get some cheap WiFi adapter that does packet injection).

A 10 second Google search is all it takes :)
Not saying we don't like questions, of course :)

I have been looking in to some other WIFI adapters and one that i like is this one http://www.alfadistribution.com/alfa-network-aus036ach-802-11ac-ac1200-wide-range-usb-3-0-wireless/

Is that one Good? Or could you recommend another one?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Bamse said:

I have been looking in to some other WIFI adapters and one that i like is this one http://www.alfadistribution.com/alfa-network-aus036ach-802-11ac-ac1200-wide-range-usb-3-0-wireless/

Is that one Good? Or could you recommend another one?

Thanks!

If you read my whole reply it would give you the answer. :)

Probably already covered this replying to another topic, but I have 2 x AWUS036H myself and they are excellent.

The AWUS036H works out-of-the-box with Kali & Parrot and the range is fine. Using a Yagi and line-of-sight,  they'll cover a 1 mile range with an OK signal acquisition. Using the default antenna they come with, you'll still get 100 meters line-of-sight, which is good for most pentest scenarios. And yes, they inject and monitor.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, haze1434 said:

Probably already covered this replying to another topic, but I have 2 x AWUS036H myself and they are excellent.

The AWUS036H works out-of-the-box with Kali & Parrot and the range is fine. Using a Yagi and line-of-sight,  they'll cover a 1 mile range with an OK signal acquisition. Using the default antenna they come with, you'll still get 100 meters line-of-sight, which is good for most pentest scenarios. And yes, they inject and monitor.

As I said in another thread though - maximum throughput of 54Mbps, no 802.11n support, USB 2.0 (tbh, that probably fixes half the driver issues with the ACH), etc. etc. Very old card.

5 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

As I said in another thread though - maximum throughput of 54Mbps, no 802.11n support, USB 2.0 (tbh, that probably fixes half the driver issues with the ACH), etc. etc. Very old card.

The throughput and USB 2 really isn't a problem for pentesting. I could quite happily hack with a potato and a piece of copper wire, if it gets the job done.

No 802.11n support could be a pain, I guess, but I've personally yet to come across a situation where I've needed this.

The AWUS036H has been a long time reliable adapter.  I recommend the AWUS036NH with rt3070 chipset if you want N support and newer chipset than the rtl8187 (still been around a while).  Some don't like the AWUS036NH due to no 5 GHz but that just depends on your needs really.  I'd really like to give AWUS036ACH a go but haven't seen a reliable guide showing good support of the adapter.