Case Power Switch Wires... I'm so lost

Paralys

Well... maybe you've read my last few posts concerning my new computer build. It's done all except... the power switch. Yeah. You'd think I could do that myself. but... see, the old switch has a really stupid connector on it, and i have to switch to a better connector, because the old one is too big to plug all the things into the mobo (it was made specificly for an old mobo but i need to use it on my new one). So... I took some pics and i need some help

Switch pics:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Par...hack/Switch.jpg

Diagram pics:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Par...htofdiagram.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Par...ftofdiagram.jpg

LEDs:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Par...hack/HDDLED.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Par...ck/PowerLED.jpg

Pretty much my main concern is knowing what wire off the switch is the ground wire and which one is the main wire to it.

However, if someone can help me identify the wires for the LED's that would be cool too. Also, ignore the reset switch, i wont be using one on this case.

I hate to post this, it makes me sound like a n00b after I've built everything then end up having problems with a power switch but I suppose it's worth the flaming as long as I get this build running.[/code]

I think you are trying to plug an AT power supply into an ATX motherboard, based on the switch. You cant do that, because an ATX type motherboard cuts power on to the board through a logic circuit, whereas an AT does not.

Can you show me the power supply guts? Usually the AT power supplies have two connectors going to the board, and ATX's only have 1. A quick test: hook the leads to the switch to a multimeter, if the continuity beep stays on when you click the switch, you have the wrong type power supply in it.

Power supply is a 500w atx

Yeah, it's an ATX board that I'm plugging this into, though I assume its an AT board that they were originally meant for. But I have the wires with connectors on the end for the atx board (though... the switches were long ago torn off by younger siblings) So. I was going to wire the switch in the picture to the new connectors just not sure which one is the ground and which one is the main wire.. don't know if that clears up what I'm doing any or not, but I hope it does.

@ moonlit: Also, if what you said still applies and the order of the wires for the switch is irrelevant, then drop by and tell me.

I have a few days to wait on some responses because the new heatsink/fan for my processor hasn't gotten here yet. Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

edit: Also if this doesn't work out, and anyone has any alternate ways of switching the power on/off (without spending money lol I'm broke after all this) Then post those too.

Well, the majority of posts on this thread seem to be that it won't matter which way the switch is plugged in. The heatsink should be in by the end of the week and I'll probably just plug the switch in then and hope that it works, as for the LED's I'll trust moonlit's explanation of that one and hope that it works.

Any other thoughts on the situation are welcome and if anyone has any alternate ways of powering on the system without spending any money (just in case the switch doesn't work) then feel free to post those too.

lol if the switch doesnt work u can always jummper Pin, jack the PC (using a jummper over were the switch connects to then removing it quickly will start the pc, and ur it off [sometimes]), though what every one has said is true, it doesnt matter what way it is connected, all it is, is a gate, pressing the button completes the wire.

As for the leds, connecting them the wrong way wont blow them, as long as its not for an extensive amount of time, connecting them into a fan connection on the other hand, has fun side effects :S

lol if the switch doesnt work u can always jummper Pin, jack the PC (using a jummper over were the switch connects to then removing it quickly will start the pc, and ur it off [sometimes]), though what every one has said is true, it doesnt matter what way it is connected, all it is, is a gate, pressing the button completes the wire.

As for the leds, connecting them the wrong way wont blow them, as long as its not for an extensive amount of time, connecting them into a fan connection on the other hand, has fun side effects :S

Well, I suppose I'm past feeling stupid now :) . So, I realize why it will still work no matter what order the wires are in (because as everyone else has said, it's just a switch, it just completes a circuit like almost every other switch in the world. I suppose reading the manual is what threw me off. I assumed it would work, then I read the manual a couple times and realized I had began second guessing myself until I convinced myself that there was more to this switch than I understood :). Heh, I suppose maybe RTFM is a bad choice of words at times.

Update: Well, the power switch works great! However I did accidentally leave the wires for both sides of the switch touching at first, which produced some really odd results. It kept restarting over and over :lol: . Though the switch does work great, neither of the LED's worked (oh well, no big deal, tis just a blinky light, though I know my insulting the LED probably qualifies for a good flaming :D ) Anyway. Thanks for all your help everyone, the new build went great and works awesome!