My new project - Need help (well a direction)

Employee

Ok well I have a new project that I came up with. The project isn't really anything special but I just need a pointer in the right direction. Let me explain the project, if it doesn't make sense its cause I just came down from a trip.

Project: 'Knowledge'

I want to learn how the internet works, and the many languages (not learn them all hahaha). So I really need some books, topics and ideas to go research on. I also want to learn how the whole web page works by this I mean the server which holds the website info to how the website gets its name.

I don't need to learn how to do graphics I have friends that can do that.

So what I'm really asking is, what is some good reading material on HTML, JAVA and How the servers work.

Note I have been researching on the internet(Wikipedia Howstuffworks) all of which has given me valuable info but I need more. Thank you :lol:

EDIT: I do have money, lots of money, so post anything that i can buy to help me learn.

You’re going to have one hell of a reading list if you want to know how everything works.

Check out Oreilly's site for:

Professional Java Server Programming

.NET & XML

ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook

Active Directory, Third Edition

Advanced Perl Programming, Second Edition

Ajax and Web Services

Apache: The Definitive Guide, Third Edition

ASP.NET 2.0 Black Book

The Book of JavaScript, Second Edition

Book of Postfix

Book of Webmin

C# Black Book

CGI Programming with Perl, Second Edition

Cisco Network Security Little Black Book

CSS: The Definitive Guide, Third Edition

Developing ASP Components, Second Edition

DNS and BIND, Fifth Edition

Sendmail

TCP/IP Network Administration

LDAP System Administration

DNS on Windows Server 2003, Third Edition

Exchange Server Cookbook

HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide, Sixth Edition

Java 2 Black Book, Second Edition

java script: The Definitive Guide, Fifth Edition

Learning Oracle PL/SQL

Learning PHP and MySQL

Learning Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora, Fourth Edition

Learning SQL

Learning the Unix Operating System, Fifth Edition

Learning the vi Editor, Sixth Edition

Learning Windows Server 2003, Second Edition

Mono: A Developer's Notebook

Perl Black Book, Second Edition

PHP Black Book

Ruby on Rails: Up and Running

Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C

--------------------------------------------------------

A must have for everyone is "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Richie (If you don’t already own it, you should be ashamed)

There are a ton of other books that will help you understand how “How the servers work†and “how the internet worksâ€

I pretty much just looked through Oreilly’s book list and picked out the most useful, so you may want to check out other books, although Oreilly have some of the best books.

Ok well I have a new project that I came up with. The project isn't really anything special but I just need a pointer in the right direction. Let me explain the project, if it doesn't make sense its cause I just came down from a trip.

Project: 'Knowledge'

I want to learn how the internet works, and the many languages (not learn them all hahaha). So I really need some books, topics and ideas to go research on. I also want to learn how the whole web page works by this I mean the server which holds the website info to how the website gets its name.

I don't need to learn how to do graphics I have friends that can do that.

So what I'm really asking is, what is some good reading material on HTML, JAVA and How the servers work.

Note I have been researching on the internet(Wikipedia Howstuffworks) all of which has given me valuable info but I need more. Thank you :lol:

EDIT: I do have money, lots of money, so post anything that i can buy to help me learn.

HTML isn't hard to learn... you also got plenty of GUI to edit web pages! not as perfect that writing the code by hand... but something to start with.

How Server works?! Well... which kind of server's services? Web, FTP etc...; then which kind of platform? Solaris, Linux, Mac, Windows?!

If i am you, I will subscribe to one of those online certificate training! they've got plenty of option... it will be more interesting and easier to be disciplined, than having tons of books...

and use Google, it's your friend

good luck man

to really understand how it works i would say try experimenting. get a linux box. watch your trafic with ethereal or wireshark or whatever their calling it theses days. use traceroute play with your hosts files set up a FTP server, apache and a dns server. read up on TCP layers. As for the languages there just different ways of getting the same things done. more important for knowledge is to learn the differences between server and client side, and what would be more useful for certain situations. then pick the language that best suits the situation. Another useful exersize would be to setup apache php mysql, and learn how php interacts with the database. and how sql works. The information you want is so vast, so just keep experimenting until you dont understand something, then use google

The most important thing is the size and quality of the CCD. If the CCD is small and has a high mega-pixel count the density of the electronics can give you noise issues.

It's an in joke VaKo, it's a carry on from a conversation Nick and I had yesterday lol

Don't worry VaKo, I'm much worse then you lol. When some one thinks some thing like "More Megapixles = better picture quality" I have to correct them and explain what Megapixles actually are and why the term "Megapixles is used" :P

Speaking of which, my desktop is 1.9 Megapixles ;)