My Media Center Setup

NickSimms

Ok i was watching you show and was interested in idea for watching things on the pc on a standad tv, but it seemed i lot of work so here is how i have mine set up

buy a Xbox Wireless Adapter MN-740 and hook it up to your chipped xbox running xbmc

now i can take the xbox to any room and stream from the pc (This even works when i take the xbox to my friends (accross the street)

its simple (even my wife can use it), cheap and portable so you can even use in them long summer days when have a few beers and a BBQ with your mates in the garden

I put a 120GB hard drive in mine so if I want to take it to a friends house I can load up media on it and go.

I have to admit that XBMC is one of the best "convergence" software packages that I have used. My wife, who normally cringes when I talk about a new project, thinks that it is so great she wants another one for our room.

I put a 120GB hard drive in mine so if I want to take it to a friends house I can load up media on it and go.

I have to admit that XBMC is one of the best "convergence" software packages that I have used. My wife, who normally cringes when I talk about a new project, thinks that it is so great she wants another one for our room.

couldnt agree with you more

Having an xbox with xmbc is by far the best and easyest media center but the main advange to it all is that it takes everything away from the cpu of the pc so if you cant have a dedicated pc for a server you can at least watch a movie on the xbox and still leave the pc free to do other things like play games etc

and the interface is so simple that i am starting to teach my 3 year old how to get to his cartoons (not an easy task but damn its fun)

Is the Xbox in the pic yours Metatron? It looks great. What does the LCD screen show? How about some tech specs on it?

I put an Xecuter 2.6 lite chip in mine. The DVD drive actually fell apart which prompted the mod. Because I have to put a regular DVD drive in it, I am now modifying the case to make room for the drive. I plan on putting a 120GB drive in there as well. I was toying with a LCD screen as well but wasn't sure if it was needed.

It’s not a photo of mine but it looks the same as the front panel is a of the shelf item instead of something I made

250gb Harddrive

Executor 3 chip

X3 control panel

128 MB Ram

Running Gentoo

The X3 Control Panel is a replacement front panel for your XBox Console, giving a professional looking finish and with the option to have your XLCD screen (comes pre-installed), 2 x USB ports (included), all switches and status LED's in position giving a superb look without having to cut or drill holes or to have to do any risky DIY mods to your XBox case. This XBox Xecuter 3 (X3) Control Panel comes in either Official Green, Original Black or Official Crystal (clear) colours! The switch panel is included, XLCD included, USB ports included, this is everything you need to just fit and plug to your Xecuter 3 or Xecuter 3 CE for the complete custom look!

I was gonna spout about this when I was done, but anyways...

I'm gonna set up a network-booting MythTV machine using a fanless Mini-ITX board. The recording will be done by a separate machine, so this will be a dedicated player. Because of this, the Mini-ITX and its power supply (probably the 120Watt PicoPSU) is all I need to get a working setup. End result is a MythTV box with *NO* moving parts. 0db noise emissions. If that's not female friendly, I don't know what will be.

Well, I have that too of course. Not THX, but still... :)

Those Mini-ITXes can spit out Dolby surround sound right off the board.