WiFi Pineapple Recon Bug

awerqo

Hello! Sorry for my bad english.

Device: Wifi Pineapple nano, Firmware Version: 2.0.2

I found very interesting bug - when near you pineapple have Non-RFC WiFi network name (for examle my neighbor  called his WiFi:  "LENOVO-ПК_Network",  ПК - it's Russian symbols) and near this network recon can't find nothing. Also if you go to Networking -> WiFi Client Mode -> scan you will show all networks us "undefined". PineAP also work incorrectly near this place.

Do you now how i can fix it? In my country i often see native symbols in WiFi network name.

1 hour ago, awerqo said:

Do you now how i can fix it? In my country i often see native symbols in WiFi network name.

Interesting, from ssh terminal - can you see output from airodump-ng?

After i typing "airodump-ng wlan0" i see this, and after finding Network with Russian symbols i got connection error. 

CH 13 ][ Elapsed: 0 s ][ 2018-03-04 17:06

BSSID              PWR  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH  MB   ENC  CIPHER AUTH ESSID

C0:4A:00:97:92:06  -78        7        0    0  11  54e. WPA2 CCMP   PSK  LENOVO-▒▒_Network
 00:0E:8F:8D:1C:88  -59        8        1    0  11  54e  WPA2 CCMP   PSK  snypi
 B4:A5:EF:3B:16:B4  -81        8        0    0  11  54e  WPA2 CCMP   PSK  Beeline_2G_F3F233
 00:1E:E5:71:0A:96  -71        9        0    0  11  54   WPA2 CCMP   PSK  kasakoff
 00:0E:8F:8D:1C:8A  -59        9        0    0  11  54e  OPN              Smart_box-8D1C88_guest

BSSID              STATION            PWR   Rate    Lost    Frames  Probe

(not associated)   BE:D1:CA:4B:60:23  -86    0 - 1      0        1
 (not associated)   00:1C:26:8A:A4:09  -68    0 - 1      0        6  iPhone ion,PrivateNetwork2,MyWiFi,Sherman

7492120db6d6e8b0327fbae99e198fd2.png

I do some experimets for get more information.

If i running airodump ng on pineapple connection always crashing after finding ""LENOVO-ПК_Network" network. I can reconnect only after 1 minute.

I try do airodump ng on Kali linux + AWUS036HNA in same place  - it works fine,  this network with Russian symbols looks some incorectly, but it doesn't hinders. 

a7f9e4d09160b4db02231dcf298388e8.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a bug as well, Present in the 2.0.2 firmware. I notice that WLAN1 doesn't come up when you boot the device with the Y-cable and a power bank, connected to my smartphone for ics. I use the app, usb tether, connect to the pineapple, and Recon doesn't function, and i can't search for access points to connect to under networking. until i reboot without the y-cable / smartphone connected THEN >> wlan1 is avail. Can re-produce this 100% @Sebkinne

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, UnLo said:

I've noticed a bug as well, Present in the 2.0.2 firmware. I notice that WLAN1 doesn't come up when you boot the device with the Y-cable and a power bank, connected to my smartphone for ics. I use the app, usb tether, connect to the pineapple, and Recon doesn't function, and i can't search for access points to connect to under networking. until i reboot without the y-cable / smartphone connected THEN >> wlan1 is avail. Can re-produce this 100% @Sebkinne

Then you aren't providing enough power to the WiFi Pineapple to fully initialize all components. The Y-cable just allows you to easily provide more power. 

54 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

Then you aren't providing enough power to the WiFi Pineapple to fully initialize all components. The Y-cable just allows you to easily provide more power. 

That's odd. I used the exact same power bank on 1.1.3 with the same y cable and did not have the same issue. I know this because I have only one power bank. I will investigate further. Thank you for the quick reply. I have not tried booting plugged into just the power bank only without the y cable attached. Perhaps with the phone attached it is drawing too much as you said to initiate everything. I hadn't considered that. 

Archived