[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.0.2

Sebkinne

I just upgraded to 2.02 - uneventfully this time.  I can confirm that recon now gives the clients.  Also fixed, a reboot or shutdown runs clean even if the red led  is blinking.  The red led starts blinking for recon, as expected but it does not stop when recon is complete.  Is there a reason for this?  Anyway, it does stop for reboot or shutdown which is great.  Before it kept blinking.  I would have to wait for many minutes to assure hopefully it was not writing to SD - then pull the plug. This is cleaner. Thanks.

I also backed up /etc/config/firewall  in it's edited, permit Web UI and SSH on Wan form and it's original less permissive form.  I have a funny feeling that 2.03 can't be too far off

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Struthian said:

I just upgraded to 2.02 - uneventfully this time.  I can confirm that recon now gives the clients.  Also fixed, a reboot or shutdown runs clean even if the red led  is blinking.  The red led starts blinking for recon, as expected but it does not stop when recon is complete.  Is there a reason for this?  Anyway, it does stop for reboot or shutdown which is great.  Before it kept blinking.  I would have to wait for many minutes to assure hopefully it was not writing to SD - then pull the plug. This is cleaner. Thanks.

I also backed up /etc/config/firewall  in it's edited, permit Web UI and SSH on Wan form and it's original less permissive form.  I have a funny feeling that 2.03 can't be too far off

The only thing that was fixed on the tetra was the clients being displayed. 

We don't have a 2.0.3 planned. 

1 minute ago, Struthian said:

Interesting - because the problem I described definitely went away with this release.  :-)  It was there 2.01.

I was just kidding with 2.03.  I'm sure it will happen some day.

It's actually a bit of a race condition. When the system shuts down, it doesn't cut the power (as it's an embedded device), so the LED stays in the last state.

2.1.0 should be the next release in January. 

15 minutes ago, Struthian said:

Good to know. In case it happens again, how long would you recommend waiting for a shutdown until it's surely safe?  

I feel for you. Race conditions can be hard to nail.

It's less hard to nail, more that it's not a high priority. 

Shutdown only takes a second or two, but just to be sure you could wait 10 seconds. 

I'm having trouble connecting to the open AP on the Wifi Pineapple Nano, using the latest version 2.0.2 freshly flashed. 

Also the same trouble on using the PineAP module.

Management AP works fine though.

Resolved, Just_a_User pointed out that I have to switch to Deny mode on Client Filtering. Thanks @Just_a_User!

hrmmm.. 

My Nano update issues went away with a properly seated SD card.

My Tetra though just sits here with a solid yellow LED and a faint red glow. It's going on 25 minutes now.  I downloaded the new 2.0.2 firmware and manually uploaded it to the tetra via the 192.168.1.1 menu.  What's are best options in this situation?

5 minutes ago, Spoonish said:

I downloaded the new 2.0.2 firmware and manually uploaded it to the tetra via the 192.168.1.1 menu.  What's are best options in this situation?

Did you download the special factory version of the firmware? the 192 address should receive the factory firmware file not the webflash version AFAIK.

17 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Did you download the special factory version of the firmware? the 192 address should receive the factory firmware file not the webflash version AFAIK.

Look at you Pikachu. I somehow missed that/forgot about the factory image.  Thank you kindly for that.  

6 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

This is correct.

I feel like a toddler that's about to stumble down some stairs and an adult gently grabs the top of their head and guides them towards something shiny and safe.  

derp de derp

Thanks again.

Hi Guys,

So, i'm in the secure setup loop of hell at the moment.  I am being prompted to disable or enable the wifi to continue automatically.

When I do this I keep getting the amber light.  I have tried everything.  I think this firmware is not loading properly.  Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I did not use my tetra fro few weeks. Now I wanted to upgrade it from 1.0.x to the lates release. So I logged into the hak5 and clicked on upgrade... then it took a while

Now I have a big problem. coz I cannot access the hak5 anymore. neither port 1471 nor ssh nor any other ports are open after reboot. Ping works fine. nmap tells me that all ports are closed. I restart it again and nothing helped me to access it.

Then I tried a factory reset by pressing the reset button for a "long" time but it does not do anything. The blue LED is always on and the yellow LED is sometimes blinking. 

Any ideas how I can access my hak5 tetra? 

thx

12 minutes ago, bruxo said:

ohhh no, it seems not to work. when I connect the hak5 via usb there is not eth device coming up. I pressed and hold the reset button and plugged power in 

Make sure you connect the USB to ETH not UART (i have made that mistake before) also maybe try using UART with screen to see whats up. What LED activity do you get?

when I turn it on (after pressing the reset button for so long) only the yellow is on. Now the network device "enx001337a58caa" is shown on my linux machine. Then I assign an IP address to my linux box and try to connect but I cant :( I tried to give the linux machine 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 and nothing works. Even in this link you send me the tutorial shows that I should assign 192.168.1.1 to the hak5 device on the linux machine and then I need to connect to the same address? I tried it and I tried to scan the network without success....

13 minutes ago, bruxo said:

Even in this link you send me the tutorial shows that I should assign 192.168.1.1 to the hak5 device

it says "From the host PC, configure a static IP address on the WiFi Pineapple facing Ethernet interface to 192.168.1.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0"

Now the interface is configured maybe try on/off switch (if your OS has one) or reboot tetra with button held again.

Also maybe this is a little clearer, it also has the special factory firmware links https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq#collapseSix

Thank you for your help. I used another cable and now I am able to access the hak5 via 192.168.1.1. Today in the morning I uploaded the firmware 2.0.2 release to the hak5 . After more than 1 hour nothing changed on the hak5 (like LED flashing etc.) So I rebooted it and nothing changed. When I turn it on without pressing any button, only the yellow LED is on even when I unplug the ethernet cable. So I tried to upgrade again without success.

The hash value of my downloaded firmware is the same like shown on the webpage. 

I’m running through setting up Tetra training for an upcoming wireless conference. Since going to this latest version, selecting Factory Reset through the UI is not actually doing anything. It worked on .01just fine on my Tetra, but is absolutely not changing anything on .02. Will do it one of the other ways, but letting you know if you’d like to verify in case of a bug.

It acts like it wants to do the reset and gives the “all data will be lost” warning, then nada.

(Physical reset worked fine, BTW- the 7-second button press).

Thanks.

Hmm. Are there any known problems with 2.0.2 with clients associating to the open network? I’m running through some training materials I’m developing, and had no issues on 2.0.1 with clients connecting to the Tetra. I just went to 2.0.2, and find that suddenly I get no clients on the open network. The SSID is not hidden, and is visible to clients. Try to connect with a range of client devices, no luck.

To test my sanity, I just upgraded the Nano- and I’m having the same results with 2.0.2- no client connectivity on the visible open network.

I’ve done this a hundred times- at the same time time, I’m happy to be told what silly thing I’m suddenly overlooking. Tried with/ithout PineAP and all the obvious enabled.

I saw a note about needing to switch the client filter to “Deny” in another post- that sounds confusing...

Thanks-

Lee

Archived