Using Squirrel as Remote Gateway with OpenVPN Access Server

Master Luc

Hi everyone, want to make sure I am thinking this is capable.

I want to place my Packet Squirrel at home on a Verizon network say Public WAN IP of 81.12.13.14

I have my OpenVPN Access Server configured at Public IP 91.12.13.15

I am at a remote location with a computer on a Public IP of 71.12.13.16

Can I connect to the OpenVPN Access Server and have all my traffic routed out of the original Verizon network at 81.12.13.14? I get that I could access local devices on that network but I'm hoping to be able to have all my traffic pass through the packet squirrel so that if I use a geotargetted service or even IP targetted (ie: Verizon Streaming TV) it comes from my home address. I know if I was running my OpenVPN AS there it would be fine, but curious if I can have it go out the squirrel's DHCP connection on that home LAN. Thanks! 

Hey @Master Luc,
if you don't need to route all the traffic at a lower level you could simply use SSH to create a quick and dirty SOCKS5 proxy.
Say your PS'' OpenVPN IP is 10.20.30.3, from your laptop you could do something like:

ssh -f -D 0.0.0.0:2222 root@10.20.30.3 -p 22 -N -q

This simply creates background SSH connection (-f) binding local port 2222 (-D 0.0.0.0:2222) to user root at 10.20.30.3 port 22 (root@10.20.30.3 -p 22) without executing any other commands (-N) and without printing debug informations/errors (-q).
In your Firefox configuration you can now use localhost port 2222 as a SOCKS5 proxy and route all traffic through your home connection.
Note that by using 0.0.0.0 the proxy will listen on your every available interface, meaning you can use your laptop as a gateway for other devices in your LAN (a Smart TV, another laptop, etc...). If you don't need to do that however I advise you to use 127.0.0.1, as listening on every interface is a security risk.

Archived