Radio Suggestions Please

SquidyP

Hello everyone, My name is Squidy P and it has been six months since my last....wrong forum? To soon?

Anyway, this is my first post and I am new to true hacking and pentesting. I have been messing with Linux for years and really enjoy the OS and getting under the hood. After watching some the HakTips I realize that I don't know that much about wifi or radios in general. I am looking to get a USB wifi adapter for testing and getting my feet wet. I don't think I should start with the Pineapple, although I am salivating wanting to get my hands on it. I think if I got a Pineapple I would be like a teenager who found himself is a strip club for the first time...just wouldn't know where to start. 

I want to start small but with capability. Goal is to hack my own WPA2 password and I am pretty sure my Surface 3 (non-pro)'s wifi won't do monitor mode. Any suggestions on a good radio to start with?

Hi there, Squiddy, welcome to the forums!

I probably wouldn't recommend the Pineapple if you're just starting out either, as it can get quite confusing and frustrating for someone who doesn't know much about configuring WiFi and networks.

There are a few WiFi adapter dongles on the Hakshop, and I believe they all support monitor mode, but don't quote me on that. 

Here's a quick, cheeky Google result on "Best WiFi adapters for airmon-ng".

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Now I want to buy one of these..

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

11 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

EDIT: Now I want to buy one of these..

I got one of those, it sadly requires a bit of driver shenanigans to get it working with Kali properly. It's range is freaking amazing though, so it's worth it. If you want something that is plug-and-play with basically everything, I recommend this one.

10 hours ago, The Power Company said:

I got one of those, it sadly requires a bit of driver shenanigans to get it working with Kali properly. It's range is freaking amazing though, so it's worth it. If you want something that is plug-and-play with basically everything, I recommend this one.

Never tried doing any driver shenanigans with Linux yet. Is there a tutorial you know of to get it working properly or no?

1 hour ago, GarrukApex said:

ooh I want one too.... I already have an NHA, but you can never have too many wifi adapters

Goes into "Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings" and sees 20 different adapters each connected to a different WiFi - then realises that they're all connected to 1 WiFi but the adapters are just hotspotting each other in a chain. :wacko: Man, I really am full of network nightmares.