Bloopers at work!

debianuser

Alright... any bloopers experienced or that happened to you at your work place or in a work setting?!

Ok I will start mine...

I started a new job as Network Admin and it was a late afternoon, just got done working on the linux servers... and decided to end up the day by sending a general email to all the users on the network by explaining few things, I needed them to keep in mind...

Instead of "Hello everbody", I was so tired, I wrote "Hell everybody"...

well the boss of the company was attached to it too... :roll: :lol:

guess, i kind of freaked out a bit that day

Bloopers at work? I work at Hak5. Do I need to say anymore?

So this one time Wess was building a box, formatted the drive, installed windows, then went to install office or open office or something and got an error that there wasnt enough free disk space. He was like, "wtf this is an 80gig drive"....

...well, he had formatted it with FAT and was left with only a 2gb partition.

We didnt let him live it down for a while.

lol. I think a wonderful blooper I made was just recently at work. I sell Kirby vacuums and instead of saying "Hello my name is Jeremy I am with the Kirby Company" I said "HI my name is kirby and I am with the Jeremy company" and the lady got this "wtf!?!?" look on her face and shut the door in my face. I just stood there like "fuck...that was smooth" :lol:

Bloopers at work? I work at Hak5. Do I need to say anymore?

So this one time Wess was building a box, formatted the drive, installed windows, then went to install office or open office or something and got an error that there wasnt enough free disk space. He was like, "wtf this is an 80gig drive"....

...well, he had formatted it with FAT and was left with only a 2gb partition.

We didnt let him live it down for a while.

that's funny! which windows did he install? 98?

I fix laptops for a living from places that have more than 1 year warrenty, anyway a work colleage was replacing a dvd drive, the customer had setup windows so no hardware changes could be made in windows without logging onto there account.

So I went in admin mode (which still wouldnt let me install it), so I made a new account to install the dvd drive.

When I finished I was deleting the test account, by accident i selected the customers account.

Was like "o s**t", turned the laptop off before it could execute the removal script, so it was a close call.

Thank god laptops run slower than pcs :).

I don't really have any bloopers per se, but "Cooper's 15 minutes of fame" are kinda legendary where I work. What it basically boils down to is that roughly once per year I do something in the course of a project that embarrasses my manager or in some other way causes some... friction in the relation between my company and the client we're working for.

Two notable examples:

My first real project at work after I came out of school was to write the messaging backend for a big financial product. Huge project by our standards. Some 150 people working on it total, 25 of them for our particular bit, which would be the core on which the rest got built. And in that, the messaging thing that tied everything together, that was to be my bit.

Fast forward about 3 months, and we're all done. I sit in the coffee corner, talking to a coworker, and I'm not aware the project manager is talking with an architect in the door opening. So I tell this coworker "It's funny really. This is the first time a program of mine ran longer than 4 hours".

The project manager overheard this and almost shat himself. His multi-million euro project was hinged on the coding qualities of some guy that came fresh out of school, and had never before made production-quality software. Had he been aware of that in advance I probably wouldn't have been given this particular task.

About 2 years later I'm working on a project for one of the top-3 insurance companies in The Netherlands. I had some software to upload that day, and my manager told me I would have "special priority" that day. I figured that meant that when I sent stuff, it would end up at the top of the stack. So at 10:30 I send an SQL script, and at 11:30 a new build of the application. Since they didn't run the SQL script yet, I figured I'd just grab an early lunch until their IT group managed to get to it.

I come back around 12:30 and they still hadn't done anything. I call IT group admin #1, no answer. I call admin #2, no answer. I call the manager of the admins, no answer. I call my own manager, no answer. I call HIS manager, voice mail. At this point I'm seriously pissed, so I write an email with all the above in the recipients list saying that "I'm deeply, deeply disappointed" with their response times, stating when I did what, and how long the installation of the build and the running of the SQL script should take, and that I don't understand why this is taking so long _again_. Thirty minutes pass without receiving any reply, so I pack it up, and go home as I can't do anything for them anymore.

The next morning I come in for work and my manager calls me up, somewhat annoyed. Normally a manager working at a certain level in our company gets to talk with someone at roughly the same level at the client company. This time my manager got a call from someone at a rather much higher level in the insurance company, asking just what the hell was wrong with the people he was supposed to be managing for them. The IT group was insulted by my email, and escalated it like you wouldn't believe. Turns out this "special priority" was because they were installing some really important program, but my manager had gotten them to agree to work on my bits as time permitted. Since that important installation went sour, there was no time for by bits. Oops. :oops:

Funny thing was that even though that senior manager at the insurance company was yelling at my manager, he also started yelling at the IT group people as I did point out in my email with high detail why I was disappointed with them. Suddenly a number of other projects we were doing for this insurance company found a much more willing and responsive IT group on the other end of the phone line.

My manager told me to apologise to the IT people for my email, which I bluntly refused. Never heard anything about that since, but I still regularly get to hear from coworkers that they're "deeply, deeply disappointed" with stuff I've done.