Cops raiding lanparty's(one today) *update*

DLSS

Well, under UNIX I would just rewrite the entire harddisk. See that script I posted in a different thread about filling the entire drive with zeroes. Maybe some disaster recovery team can pull some data off of that, but I'm pretty sure that tactic will send any trace of those files ever being on your system to the eternal huntinggrounds.

In Windows it would be a bit tougher, but a quick DELTREE would be a good start (however deleting like that tends to be fairly trivially recoverable).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, under UNIX I would just rewrite the entire harddisk. See that script I posted in a different thread about filling the entire drive with zeroes. Maybe some disaster recovery team can pull some data off of that, but I'm pretty sure that tactic will send any trace of those files ever being on your system to the eternal huntinggrounds.

In Windows it would be a bit tougher, but a quick DELTREE would be a good start (however deleting like that tends to be fairly trivially recoverable).

i would love my computer to be set up so all i do is click a batch script and it just formats all the naughty stuff

I've been to many lan parties in my day. Some of the largest in the world, in fact. And I will be attending MML 5, where the World Series of Video Games will be held.

With commercial established LAN's, the written policy has always been against piracy as a whole. It's just the establishment's waiver from any legal responsibility. It wouldn't hold up in court, though.

Piracy has been a part of LAN parties for as long as they have existed. In fact, many people I know attend them purely for the "free" software.

As far as I know, if this were to happen in the US, each individual would have the opprotunity to deny all charges and claim breach of the 4th Ammendment. Things like this can get sticky, especially when judges are completely uneducated about technology.

Anyway, if anyone lives in the midwest/east coast, you might want to check out Million Man Lan 5. It's being held in Louisville, Ky (as always). There should be about 4000 people there, give or take. More info here:

http://www.lanwar.com/FAQ.asp?Process=DISPLAY&FAQID=12

If anyone is interested, hit me with a PM and we can meet up or something.

Hey, maybe Hak.5 could shoot a few segments at the event and interview some geeks. :)

ok so everything went ok, on the second day they did open the DC++ server (for filesharing)

luckely there wasn't a bust , tho the fcc has been present @1 point and @ that point the dc++ server did went down , they didnt confiscate anything only warned em , there wasnt enough on the net to do a bust ..... only 3-4TB

wich is nothing for a 300ppl lan

to bring this in perspective i used to go to laglan (15-25 ppl) and they usually have 50 TB ...

tho @ 1 point i was wondering who was still thinking cos round the end of day 2 they announced a pr0n compo (wich comes down to who's ever got the most pr0n on his pc wins a new keyboard n mouse )

round the end of day 2 they announced a pr0n compo (wich comes down to who's ever got the most pr0n on his pc wins a new keyboard n mouse )

Jeez. Now _that_ is sad.

And call me old-fashioned, but the filesharing bit should be pretty low-key on a lan party IMNSHO. The goal is to play games. So... PLAY GAMES! Share a couple of games if you want to play along or some movies if you want to take a break from gaming, but what's the point in having 50 TB available online when you're gonna be gone in a day or 2 and your plan was to use your network resources to play those friggin games?

round the end of day 2 they announced a pr0n compo (wich comes down to who's ever got the most pr0n on his pc wins a new keyboard n mouse )

Jeez. Now _that_ is sad.

And call me old-fashioned, but the filesharing bit should be pretty low-key on a lan party IMNSHO. The goal is to play games. So... PLAY GAMES! Share a couple of games if you want to play along or some movies if you want to take a break from gaming, but what's the point in having 50 TB available online when you're gonna be gone in a day or 2 and your plan was to use your network resources to play those friggin games?

ye , but also take in mind it was a hot full gigabit network :P

i was like , hmm woud they notice if i take this switch ? :twisted:

You can get an 8-port gigabit switch for 60 euros (Asus GigaX 1108). I actually have one here and it's doing quite nicely (though I'm not even loading it anywhere near capacity). Why risk getting into trouble over something you can have for so little?

• 3 weeks later...

the cops raided my friends lan a while ago

it was soo fucken funny, he got the whole thing on video tape :P

ill run you through basically what happened (the accual words they said were slightly differant)

1) cops were going through the street looking for drug labs with a heat detection machine (or something similar)

2) the cops detected the heat in my friends garage :P

3) they got backup

4) the cops broke down the door, raided the garage and found geeks with comps :P

5) my friend being the smartass he is said something along the lines of "do you want a round of cs?"

6) cops decked him and handcuffed him

7) they looked round the room and found no drugs....

8) my friend said there was caffeen in the fridge

9) the un handcuffed him and left

what my friend accually said may be a little bit altered because it was a few years ago and he may have streched the truth about what he said :P but the video does have him getting held down while other cops look round for drugs :P

if i still have it on my 5 yrold machine ill upload it for you guys