Bash Bunny vs Packet Squirrel

Fallen Archangel

Hello, I haven't been around for a while and I'm interested in purchasing either Bash Bunny or Packet Squirrel devices. I'm not sure which would fit my needs better.  I'm mainly wanting to be able to drop this device and use get a remote VPN/SSH connection. 

I'm just an amature messing with these devices for fun, so I feel like the packet squirrel can do this in a much more user friendly way. And it has expandable storage which is a big plus. Looking through the payloads on GitHub, I noticed the I Hate WiFi one is using wlan0, but I'm not able to find any mention of it having wireless onboard

The Bash Bunny also has rubber ducky like capabilities, and only requires a USB port. As far as I'm aware there is not expandable storage options, but if it can create a VPN/SSH session I wouldn't mind losing that.

I'm not concerned about the price difference, so I think my main question is if the bash bunny can create a VPN/SSH tunnel, and if there would be any benefit to getting one over the other for this purpose. Lastly, I'm wondering if the packet squirrel has wireless, or a USB port to add a USB adapter. I like the other things the bash bunny offers, but I'm mainly focused on remote access.

Thank you for reading all of this.

1 hour ago, Fallen Archangel said:

I think my main question is if the bash bunny can create a VPN/SSH tunnel, and if there would be any benefit to getting one over the other for this purpose.

Welcome back, I found a some of your old posts useful :)

I think both can do the minimum what you need (ish), but as both would use the clients network to get connections, have you considered the LanTurtle 3g? for remote access without using client network?

EDIT -  Really the bashbunny would need to obtain Internet connection sharing from the host, or drop a payload on the host to get the access. https://github.com/hak5/bashbunny-payloads/tree/master/payloads/library/remote_access

Edited by Just_a_User

I think what you want is the lan turtle. It gives you some of the capabilities of the bash bunny, but it also gives you the ability to plug it into a network and let it be, and have it create a reverse shell back to you. I don't think the bash bunny can create a vpn/access point. IIRC, it's just a heavily enabled rubber ducky. 

2 hours ago, GarrukApex said:

I think what you want is the lan turtle. It gives you some of the capabilities of the bash bunny, but it also gives you the ability to plug it into a network and let it be, and have it create a reverse shell back to you. I don't think the bash bunny can create a vpn/access point. IIRC, it's just a heavily enabled rubber ducky. 

Packet Squirrel is probably the better option, and it is highly configurable compared to the LAN Turtle - but they can both do what you want.

Then again, this'll turn into another LAN Turtle vs. Packet Squirrel argument so let's just sit on the fence and say "both can work".

Just now, Dave-ee Jones said:

Packet Squirrel is probably the better option, and it is highly configurable compared to the LAN Turtle - but they can both do what you want.

Then again, this'll turn into another LAN Turtle vs. Packet Squirrel argument so let's just sit on the fence and say "both can work".

I agree. They both have their upsides and downsides, and better use cases. Either one works for this application.